Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Submersible trailer lights - waterproofing connections

Re: Submersible trailer lights - waterproofing connections

I use a waterproof gel filled connection. We use to do commercial irrigation, we do alot of golf courses and the only one connection we use to connect the solenoids is a blue white connector, not sure who makes them, they are about the size of a 10 cent piece. You don't strip the wire, clean cut end feed it in and clamp it together. We usually make the join and drop it back in the salt water at Hope Island. Never had one fail. You get them at irrigation shop in box of 50 or 100, about a $1 each.
    Humility is not a weather condition.

Sounds like the ones telstra uses, tried them on another boat i owned, and found with vibration etc the cover used to fall off. Ok in a static situation but not a boat.

Have also seen vibration related connection issue with these on boats. Same principle as the old school towbar splices for connecting a trailer harness just with better waterproofing.

Quote Originally Posted by hungry6 View Post
    I use a waterproof gel filled connection. We use to do commercial irrigation, we do alot of golf courses and the only one connection we use to connect the solenoids is a blue white connector, not sure who makes them, they are about the size of a 10 cent piece. You don't strip the wire, clean cut end feed it in and clamp it together. We usually make the join and drop it back in the salt water at Hope Island. Never had one fail. You get them at irrigation shop in box of 50 or 100, about a $1 each.
    Have u ever hit 11 on a hole mate? Haha...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Bought a bag of these years ago for under $20 per 100 and used for leds, trailer lights gps etc but added heat shrink as well so may have avoided the vibration issue, been good for 5years. Attachment 120639 image.png

Boats & trailers are no place for scotch loks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    Boats & trailers are no place for scotch loks.
    Being an ex-Telstra cable jointer and having found and replaced thousands of the faulty little buggers .... I have to agree. Not the best choice for this purpose.

Cheers
    Gurn

Had trailer light issues and knew my joints were poorly done so I re-did all the joins.... emery tape back to shiny wires, soldered, liquid tape, two layers of heat shrink.....well bugger me the RHS failed last week, should have done it right and re-wired the whole lot in the first place!

How did it fail crunchy, did you give it the CSI check over?

Quote Originally Posted by odieman150 View Post
    Bought a bag of these years ago for under $20 per 100 and used for leds, trailer lights gps etc but added heat shrink as well so may have avoided the vibration issue, been good for 5years. Attachment 120639 image.png
    Looks like I'm in for a rewire down the track