Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY pod disaster..

DIY pod disaster..

pod homemade .jpg

We all like to think we are pretty handy but imagine what happened to these fella's today happening 50km's offshore....

Just lucky to get a tow to the closet shoreline...

Coastguard wouldn't touch it and recommended a salvage operator...

Anyone got any further info.?...Happened off Fremantle I'm told..

Disclaimer...I'm assuming its homemade as it looks like someone has glued a old fibreglass esky on the transom....lol

Re: DIY pod disaster..

Need the full story before passing judgement. Could have been a high speed impact on the outboard leg. Take a look at what happened last year in the middle of the pacific just because someone got a rope in their props - on a commercially built vessel.

I would guess there core was to thin, if it were rot it would have just pulled the mounting bolts thru and the ply would look dark

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

This is why when i was planning my pod i was going to vacuum bag the pod and infuse the resin and make a laminate 20mm thick for the entire pod

Poor buggers. Whether it's their fault or not, you still have to feel for them hey. 250 suzie, wow , what's that 20, 25, 30?

Maybe they took the black anchor thing literally?

Just got the brand wrong.

He would be looking at a nice chunk of change to repair, That pod would cost 3k to 5k alone if a shop were to repair it

I loved that Coast Guard made sure they were on a beach then left them too it! Our local Coast Guard would have kept on with it until it was back on the trailer in the carpark.

the photo blows up quite well....and you can clearly see where the transom mount has pulled through ripping off the outside panel as well..what will the assessor make of this ?Dunno but it looks under engineered for such a rig...mind you Im not arguing with the bloke on the left.......

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My opinion, and this is only my opinion, I’ve never understood the need for pods. With boat manufacturers designs, I don’t understand the need to improve a hull design that would/should be tested in R&D. Can someone explain the need for a pod that would improve a hull design that has already been tried and tested? It’s the same for wave breakers on the Haines 17L are they necessary? Seriously interested in opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    My opinion, and this is only my opinion, I’ve never understood the need for pods. With boat manufacturers designs, I don’t understand the need to improve a hull design that would/should be tested in R&D. Can someone explain the need for a pod that would improve a hull design that has already been tried and tested? It’s the same for wave breakers on the Haines 17L are they necessary? Seriously interested in opinions.
    Biggest reason for adding a pod is for carrying extra weight of new 4 strokes.

Many people can’t afford brand new boat, so they buy old one designed for lighter 2 strokes back in 80-90’s etc. slap a pod on to float the heavier 4 strokes. Sometimes it’s done for added deck space.
    9- times out of 10 it works fine with no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    Biggest reason for adding a pod is for carrying extra weight of new 4 strokes.

Many people can’t afford brand new boat, so they buy old one designed for lighter 2 strokes back in 80-90’s etc. slap a pod on to float the heavier 4 strokes. Sometimes it’s done for added deck space.
    9- times out of 10 it works fine with no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    Thanks Flex. Explains the reasoning. My only concern with that is would the cost of pod and new modern four stroke out weigh the decision to just buy a modern hull? I’m certainly not knocking anyone who does this just trying to understand whether the financial benefits are there.

Yep either extra buoyancy or in this case conversion of an inboard powered hull to an outboard power plant. It's not always a financial decision, some just love "their" boat or have a sentimental connection to it. That said, old hull that owes you nothing plus 15-20 grand and an engine still comes out way ahead of a new purchase in a lot of cases. I went through it with my hardtop build. Absolute best I would have done on a fully accessorised rig would have been around 50K. New hard top rig with nothing in it - 100K with another 20 to spend on accessories to get to what I had before. With an older boat the difference is even bigger. Even on a good trailer, you would be lucky to get 20K for an old 6 metre-ish rig as a trade or private sale. Leaves a lot of room for a new motor and some glass work.

im guessing that it cracked out wide and then they nursed it close to shore then the beaching made the whole back peel off , it should still float if they sealed the original inboard hole, but man o man , sorry dudes should of gone for alloy pod

No one i know of or have spoken to knows that magic number for a pod in thickness of ply and laminate, its just one of those things u way over engineer or shit like this happens