Thread: Swags

Question Swags

Hi All

I've been umming & ahhing about buying myself a swag for quite a while now and have been looking at what's available.

A swag is something that I might only use occasionally (sleeping on the boat or an overnighter / weekender on a island - For all my other longer trips - I use my Oztent RV5 & now that I have my new canopy on the Navara - I can sleep in the back of it when I do an overnight stopover when travelling.

I've found that you can spend $150 - $600 & yeh I can see the difference between some of them in the quality and construction. …. it looks like $350- $450 gets you heavier 400GSM ripstop canvas , PVC floor , no seeum mesh , better mattress , decent zippers , free standing & good zipper sealing to keep the rain out.

OK - So what's the go with these Adventure Kings swags @ less than $200 ($174 Deluxe Single - Delivered) …… They seem extremely popular & from what I've seen of them - well made & have the features of a $400 swag . Generally , online reviews seem to be positive .

$174 is easier to part with for something that might get used 3 or 4 times a year (might)

Oh & I'm trying to stick with a single swag so it can be set up on a stretcher or be used on my boat.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Swags

Where it's made probably Chris. Please try to buy the aussie one. Personally, I get swags second hand from trading post etc. My current swag was bought in 95, still going strong.

I second the Australian made. Almost guarantee it is a better quality. I have two swag of good quality.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hey Nagg,

I use a Mr Swagman on the deck of my boat. I got it custom made at the time but it is now on their product list so when it rolls out the pvc/vinyl is the base in case the deck is wet. It’s basically one zipper and rolls out
    all in one.
    https://www.mrswagman.com.au/

It’s this one https://www.mrswagman.com.au/product...-classic-swag/

Quality made.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
    Where it's made probably Chris. Please try to buy the aussie one. Personally, I get swags second hand from trading post etc. My current swag was bought in 95, still going strong.
    For my intended use - spending $800-$1000 just doesn't make sense …… Yes if this was going to be my main sleeping arrangement when I go on my trips I would - However I generally drive to a destination & camp - or pack the boat up and camp for a week or two at a time ….. & then I use a proper tent . I don't really go touring with lots of overnight stops where the convenience of a swag is a benefit.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I have a Burke & Wills from bcf, can’t fault it, just make sure you season the canvas as directed and give the zippers a spray with silicon every so often.

Would you really sleep in a swag in a boat on the water? Them and sleeping bags scare the hell out of me in the event of a sinking.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Getout View Post
    Would you really sleep in a swag in a boat on the water? Them and sleeping bags scare the hell out of me in the event of a sinking.
    Yep. Always have. Nothing better in my opinion in regards to camping solo. Peace and quiet until the sound of a screaming drag wakes you!😂

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    Yep. Always have. Nothing better in my opinion in regards to camping solo. Peace and quiet until the sound of a screaming drag wakes you!
    I've never thought of it ….. but I couldn't see the situation where I would be in a position where the boat would sink when tied up to some mooring or anchored up in some quiet creek or bay .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I've never thought of it ….. but I couldn't see the situation where I would be in a position where the boat would sink when tied up to some mooring or anchored up in some quiet creek or bay .

Chris
    Leak via crack in a hull, failed skin fitting, collision with some drunk idiot..... it has happened. Offshore it is obviously more risky... rough weather, whale strike or tangle in anchor line. It would be difficult to swim in a swag!

Blog Entries

Leak via crack in a hull, failed skin fitting, collision with some drunk idiot..... it has happened. Offshore it is obviously more risky... rough weather, whale strike or tangle in anchor line. It would be difficult to swim in a swag!
    When I had my signature 632f with a large cabin, my wife and little ones would sleep in the cabin. I would still swag it on the deck.
    i was paranoid they would be trapped in that cabin to the point I rarely slept. I think if you think your boat is going to sink from circumstances out of your control, don’t do it. I have a glass of red as the sun sets and to this day, it’s my favourite pastime.
    My swag is very rarely zipped so it’s a throw over if you like. I reckon I could escape quicker than sleeping in a cabin.

I have Barcrusher mate

Sleeping in a cabin would be little different if a boat started to sink or someone creamed you - as I said I couldn't see myself in a situation that would be dangerous - I would never swag it offshore for example . I'm talking about use on a mooring or little quiet bay or river

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Previously - I've slept on the cast deck on my old Hornet & Seajay .
    With the Barcrusher I've set up the rack & slept on that …… what I'm trying to do is eliminate the need to set up a tarp which is a pain & noisy if there is any wind blowing .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO