Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Nissan Patrol (petrol 5.6 V8) vs Toyota 200 (diesel TT V8) /Towing fuel economy

Nissan Patrol (petrol 5.6 V8) vs Toyota 200 (diesel TT V8) /Towing fuel economy

Surprising result, can just jump to 20 min mark for those interested.

Re: Nissan Patrol (petrol 5.6 V8) vs Toyota 200 (diesel TT V8) /Towing fuel economy

Yes saw that. The Cruiser V8 diesel was never light on diesel use. Partly why twin cab utes are so popular. Small turbo diesels getting fantastic economy with light loads and still better than Cruisers when towing heavy loads. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Re: Nissan Patrol (petrol 5.6 V8) vs Toyota 200 (diesel TT V8) /Towing fuel economy

I wonder how hard they are driving these cars up hills i dont think its a good comparison driving one car at a time they really need 3 drivers and drive in a chain one after another maintaining the same gap between cars that way it would be equil

i'll stick to my little 4 cylinders my free lander Lr series suppose to get 800km's a tank of diesel and can tow 2000kg

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    I wonder how hard they are driving these cars up hills i dont think its a good comparison driving one car at a time they really need 3 drivers and drive in a chain one after another maintaining the same gap between cars that way it would be equil

i'll stick to my little 4 cylinders my free lander Lr series suppose to get 800km's a tank of diesel and can tow 2000kg
    I will stick to my Ve commodore. Here i was worried that i get 13s towing my tinny. I recon i can beat those figures EASY. All thay shinny new tech and it aint that different to a 13yr old car. (well lets see if somebody will do that comparo before i eat my hat, lol)

Seriously, if you had the need and the money, the F250 is hard to beat. The Japs have met their match. As for the overall economy, it aint really that good. Not much better than a bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy56 View Post
    I will stick to my Ve commodore. Here i was worried that i get 13s towing my tinny. I recon i can beat those figures EASY. All thay shinny new tech and it aint that different to a 13yr old car. (well lets see if somebody will do that comparo before i eat my hat, lol)

Seriously, if you had the need and the money, the F250 is hard to beat. The Japs have met their match. As for the overall economy, it aint really that good. Not much better than a bus.
    I have never towed a car for a full tank but i would estimate around 400kms a tank towing a lancer or barina

I actually filled up the xtrail drove from fairfield to cardiff nsw towing a car trailer there and towing back a shit box peugeot van thingy one of those mini vans and i didnt need fuel

Thinking about these cars using 21L 100kms a 1998 vt v8 commodore used that kind of fuel, where is technology taking us?

I guess saying how far you can go on a tank of fuel doesn't make a lot of sense, it's entirely dependant on the size of the tank, not the economy of the car, my old Landcruiser had 150l of fuel, and being non turbo diesel, you could go heaps further than most cars on "a tank"

New vehicles need to pass emissions.

Would be good to see a comparison with a big 6cyl diesel.

Towing 3.5t cattle float behind my 79 series following a friend in their new 8tonne truck loaded - doing same sensible speed - reasonably hilly they used about 40% less fuel.

As with most things there is always a trade off as mine is easier/quicker around town but for loads - no comparison.

For sure. And 3.5 tonn towing limit is a joke. In a Ranger for e.g. if you put 3.5 tonn on the back you don't take passengers . Some manufacturers give realistic towing estimates that allow luggage and 5 people thankfully (Mitsubishi for e.g. with 3100kg for Triton). But really anything at or over 3 tonne for regular towing with most cars is silly and a much larger vehicle would make more sense.

Cheers

Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Tank is about 60L in both the xtrail and freelander, petrol 60L gets 550km (400-450km towing), diesel supposedly gets 60L 800km unsure about towing wouldnt drop much i'd imagine but its my first diesel

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    For sure. And 3.5 tonn towing limit is a joke. In a Ranger for e.g. if you put 3.5 tonn on the back you don't take passengers . Some manufacturers give realistic towing estimates that allow luggage and 5 people thankfully (Mitsubishi for e.g. with 3100kg for Triton). But really anything at or over 3 tonne for regular towing with most cars is silly and a much larger vehicle would make more sense.

Cheers

Tomorrow I get my GVM upgrade on my Navara NP300 - I tow between 1800-1900kgs - Towball weight of 170kgs .

When I did the exercise (calculations) once I put on the new Norweld canopy - I was absolutely horrified with what happened to my payload . It literally boiled down to me & a deckie and just 40kgs in the car .…... So yeh , all this talk of towing capacity is nonsense unless your car is unaltered (no canopies , bull bars , roof racks) & just a driver and passenger .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

cant compare cars if your guessing this and that Gazza
    Fuel economy has to be done on measured amounts and distances

Andy a new car is going to be safer then a ve commodore even a brick like a land cruiser

How did you get on with that extra long shaft etec 50

Just adding a bullbar to my challenger added 1l per 100km Aerodynamics matter a lot

Ausfish Platinum Member

Yes, most of these BTC's are almost a mirage, unless you want to drive without payload. I've seen plenty of people online (200 series owners, mostly) slag off the 4.5 tonne towing option on the RAM 1500 as useless because it gives you very little payload due to GCM constraints--but, guess what, you can tow 4 tonne with them and have roughly 5-600 kg of payload. No Cruiser can do that. Do all the GVM upgrades you like, you can't raise your BTC. You can get some payload, but the BTC is fixed.
    The big yank jobs are the way to go for real towing, when you are getting up over 3 tonne ATM. I was surprised the F-250 didn't out-do the 200--the Patriot camper boys did a RAM 2500 Super-Tourer (6.7l Cummins) , and towing 3 tonne , did better than a 200 series towing 1 tonne on the same long trip.
    Diesel owners like to point to peak torque figures on paper, saying , for example, the 200, with about 70NM more of torque than the 5.6litre petrol Patrol, must be a superior towing vehicle. But they forget, or omit to mention , that the torque delivery of a good petrol V8 is so much wider than a diesel. Diesels are short-legged, running out of puff over 3000rpm, peak torque is mostly delivered well below that. The big petrol V8s may have less torque on paper, but they generally deliver 90% of their peak from well under 2000rpm, and peak at 4500 rpm. A much wider useable torque curve. And 300kw will kick the arse of 200kw any day., uphill or not. They noted in that video that, when on the steepest part of the climb, the 200 was flatout with nothing left, and the Patrol could actually accelerate.
    I just laughed and laughed when I saw that the Patrol actually won the fuel comparison--to be fair they were both the same really, but I can picture all the previously smug, butthurt 200 series owners out there now. And the Ram 1500 with the 5.7 litre hemi gets the same consumption as a 200 series, towing the same heavy boat--this, from an owner who switched. And costs about 30K less, for the Laramie which is at least the equal, or better than the Sahara, or 50K less for the 1500 Express work ute version. Which still feels deluxe after driving any 4 cylinder dual cab, believe me. I was blown away when I drove one.

What is the cost comparison between the Patrol & the Landcruiser diesel ? - top of the tree …. $30K ????

how much extra ULP can you buy for $30K

I saw the comparison once & you basically needed to hit 300,000kms + or something like that to come out ahead ….. it may even be higher than that.

Having been in both …… I wouldn't pick one over the other - but the Patrol does have a sweet engine .

the killer for Nissan is the resale value Vs the Landcruiser

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

the nissan v8 figures arent bad really , thought they be high 20s, but you never see them on the road. 200 series figures arent bad either for a heavy wagon, tried and tested but not as economical as the daul cab brigade.... what i do see is these dodge rams all over the road springing up like mushrooms so is it the tough american look or are they fairly good on fuel as well .....

A mates got a 200 series sahara and gets the same fuel economy on the beach towing a jet ski as i do in a 2018 hilux with bugger all in it. 20l/100.