Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Nissan Patrol (petrol 5.6 V8) vs Toyota 200 (diesel TT V8) /Towing fuel economy

Re: Nissan Patrol (petrol 5.6 V8) vs Toyota 200 (diesel TT V8) /Towing fuel economy

Excluding autos, reversing up hills, and pulling boats out of ramps is all about gear ratios, not the actual power of the car, a 4X4 might not pull a big boat out of a ramp, but, put it in low range, and it certainly will, most cars these days (and lots of utes) are more for road comfort, and have high gears, and on steep starts (driveways and ramps) the gears are simply too high, so, lots of revs and clutch riding is required, which is not so great for the clutch.

Re: Nissan Patrol (petrol 5.6 V8) vs Toyota 200 (diesel TT V8) /Towing fuel economy

If you have any problems on a slippery ramp just let the car roll back until most of the weight is off the trailer then drive forward and keep the momentum up, don't stop.
    Get a run at it if you get my drift.

Just remembered a kind of humorous event, many years ago, my tow vehicle was an FJ45 Landcruiser Ute, I always had a short, thick tow rope under the seat, one day I was snooping around the ramp and there was a guy in a car that had locked his keys in, and had about an 18' boat on the trailer, he asked if I could help, and I told him I could get him out, but, no responsibility for any damage, he thought about the option of breaking a window, then took me up on the tow offer. I got the tow rope, connected it to my towbar, then to that flimsy hook on the front of his car, jumped in, 4 wheel drive, low range, and just pulled the whole lot up the ramp, back wheels of his car skidding, as it was in park, and the hand brake on, then when I had to turn at the area at the top of the ramp, it just pulled his car kind of sideways, because the front wheels were pointed straight ahead! Anyway, I got him out of the way, and we fiddled around and got his door unlocked, he offered me money, but I declined, and he drove off, happy as can be, not too sure of any long term damage though, but with the right gears and traction, you can pull some serious weight.

My trailer is about 1 meter to long or longer than needed so hopefully i will be ok on those low tides

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Got the trailer out though!

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Got the trailer out though!

I launched mine last week from a mud bank which gave way as the trailer wheels went over.
    straight into drive and reef it back out before it disappeared from view, the river is so low but lucky we have some water i guess

low range diff locks the works out here atm, even then sometimes they just push the hole trailer and all down the hill with a snatch strap and pull it out

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    the bilge pump is pumping hard, wonder where the water got in. Can't see anything obvious!

She is a really nice well looked after car, i reckon the lpg will be used most of the time unless long trips i'll use both, i need a goat...

it has the 302 Windsor in it

How up the creek is this trying to list the xtrail on facebooks classified for $1250 and it refuses to allow me to list my car at my asking price because its too cheap wtf? too many of these wankers listing there adds $1234 etc... its painful trying to scroll thru all those dicky adds of guys just wanting to show off there cars and are not selling them

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    How up the creek is this trying to list the xtrail on facebooks classified for $1250 and it refuses to allow me to list my car at my asking price because its too cheap wtf? too many of these wankers listing there adds $1234 etc... its painful trying to scroll thru all those dicky adds of guys just wanting to show off there cars and are not selling them
    Nothing worse than trying to sell stuff for a fair price online and get messed about because of some deadbeat.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    Nothing worse than trying to sell stuff for a fair price online and get messed about because of some deadbeat.

Matt
    I had to post the add with $10,000 on it than put in the title 1250 its ridiculous isnt it, how can facebook justify a price on your car

Hey Gazza,
    I sold two fairlanes a while back, my parents had the 6 in it, NA immaculate body and motor, 180,000kms for $1200
    Mine was an NC ghia perfect running order 160000kms bit of seaside rust starting but not bad for $1000
    I had a 2 1/2" straight thru on the windsor 5 litre and sounded ok, went like it would as a stock motor, super reliable, interior was smick.
    You will know if the lsd works as you tap it off the lights in the rain and the back end slides out, lots of fun(controlled fun).
    Was a great tow vehicle and no probs pulling the big boat off most slippery ramps with the lsd, even with bit of slip.
    Excellent touring cars and had all the fancy bits of later model cars and they didn't bust, one prob I had was one window actuator after 20 years which you can forgive and a steering rack replaced for $500.
    Never been a fan of gas but that may just be me.
    Happy motoring
    PS I did by a WJ jeep 4.7 ho and it has been faultless 2004 most bugs ironed out and I love it as a cruiser, daily and tow vehicle and beach fishing unit, goes like stink for a 4by compared to my gq, and 80 series, paid 6 grand for the WJ with 140,000kms on the clock with history , secret is oil changes on 4.7 motors
    Cheers
    Muz

Attachment 120799
    Attachment 120800
    Attachment 120801

nice tow rig , looks tidy this will make easy work , maybe a tickford motor, not sure , i used to haul a 17.5 ft glass runabout years back with various falcon models , they never let me down even on low tide, big torque motor go the 302 windsor wow man what a kings ride indeed..
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    She is a really nice well looked after car, i reckon the lpg will be used most of the time unless long trips i'll use both, i need a goat...

it has the 302 Windsor in it

Muz i turned one corner and she lightly flicked out thought fmd and i was taking it easy haha she has a huge amount of power barely getting the revs up but shes already doing 80kph

Im use to the xtrail loving a tev about 3500-3800rpm

The ford feels like its barely revving to 2000rpm its so quiet and smooth