Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Nissan Patrol (petrol 5.6 V8) vs Toyota 200 (diesel TT V8) /Towing fuel economy

Re: Nissan Patrol (petrol 5.6 V8) vs Toyota 200 (diesel TT V8) /Towing fuel economy

TRPM xtrail is no good just trying to tow the old girl up the driveway months back i smelt the clutch burning that was to just pull her out of the back yard no engine and not at a ramp

When i bought the boat a couple of years ago and towed it home each time i started off i would have to ride the clutch to pick up speed to change out of 1st gear

The boat back than with the cabin and soaked transom plus steel trailer probably came in at over 1500kg and she struggled

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Nissan Patrol (petrol 5.6 V8) vs Toyota 200 (diesel TT V8) /Towing fuel economy

I have had the "pleasure" of riding in a commodore with a tow pack fitted and a Seafarer Victory strapped to it's back end. Not something I am in any hurry to do again. You will be streets ahead if you can get a 4wd with a low range Gazza and even better still - one with manual front hubs so you leave them unlocked and use low range to reverse up inclines on hard surfaces. More controlled and way less stress on clutches. Also good for low tide recoveries on slippery ramps.

Yeah agree here, cars are OK for small boats, and are OK usually at the ramp, but, when it's lower than about half tide, you're in trouble, and at low tide, you're doomed at most ramps, most ramps are just too slippery for a 2 wheel drive anything to get traction to get back up the ramp.

Falcon Station Wagon, I6, no IRS and pick the Model to suit your pocket.

you would need some serious suspension upgrades to tow a boat of your size with a tired 25y/o sedan!
    You mentioned Pajero's earlier, great cars especially with the superselect gearbox, would be a better choice than a Jeep, just watch out for typical smokey petrol engines!

Gazza, we'll there's something wrong with the xtrail then. I could reverse my >1700kg up a 20 degree street, over a layback kerb and around a curved driveway. Clutch did suffer a bit but lasted the 3 years I had it. Power wasn't an issue.

You sure you put 4 pistons back in when you rebuilt it?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Haha yeahthe 2004-2007 xtrails have no power just towing a mellinium model 5.3m ally bow rideer it can only just.pull it up the ramp

I just got back from looking at the LTD very nice luxury car sounded very throatie appearred to have no problems but im a little unsure about the lpg and rego

The lady said it passed a pink slip and the tank was tested byt i cant find any tank stickers to indicate the tank was tested

If you can't verify the tank, run.....regardless of how nice it looks. I'm not too sure about an LTD as a tow vehicle.

Noel yeah i bought a ex taxi years ago and got bitten on the old shaggy expired gas tank so i made sure i looked this time couldnt find the plate or sticker but i looked it up on youtube going back tonight to check it out

Gazza, i think you must have issues with ya Xtrail.
    We bought one new, 2005 from memory, only just sold it a year or so ago, couldn't let her indoors drive it any longer, bought her the latest model.
    I occasionally stole it and pulled my boat here and there, popped it into all wheel drive and she towed like a champ. Yes, a tad under powered and the clutch is sort of not the best, even when we put a new one in. My boat is around 1.3-1.5 ish, never weighed it, but it did the job, no issues at all. I only grabbed it a few times and launched at the local ramp, when my Navara was loaded up for a tip run, but, absolutely no issues even on a slippery ramp, just got to make sure the rev's are up a tad if ramp was a bit slippery, all wheel mode, away ya go. Surely you could sort what the issue is and get by with it till the boat and trailer is done ???? put the coin into getting things finished.

Col

Col its possibly the clutch is gone it has been dropping brake fluid level with no leaks clutch and brakes run off the same reservoir and when i rebuilt the engine i put the old clutch back in as at that point i had spent $6000 on the car, rebuild and rebuild tools

To replace the clutch i would have to replace the flywheel too as the fluids level are indicating, a new clutch kit is about $1000 than i have to pull the gearbox out and play around with it, gearbox is a little sticky at times mostly in winter may be the fluid or it may need another box its all money

Xtrail runs out of rego later this month even more money...

Gazza, better the devil you know. Anything you buy at the budget you describe is going to have issues. I'd stick with it and fix it as you yourself said was the thing to do.
    As for the LTD - I assume it's mid 90's? The old spec EFI 5.0's were pretty good and an LTD should have a limited slip diff which would be very advantageous on the ramp. Lots of fancy crap to go wrong tho....electric seats, windows , etc.
    I'd back xtrail reliability over Falcon any day.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

if you go ford v8 , the 3v engines had sparkplugs seize and snap off in the head, 4v okay

I went the ford ltd and wow that thing has some power she drives very smooth could barely hear the engine it has a brand new exhaust i feel kind of sad for old maye who owned the car it must have been his pride and joy the rolls royce of the few cars they had looks like he really looked after this ltd before he passed

Brakes are stiff likely due to the car sitting for a long time, a bit of squeek to the warped disc, 2 or 3 years left on the lpg tank

It has quiet some balls i didnt floor it but even driving like a granny she was booting it this thing wont have any problems pulling the boat

I looked and looked for other cars D22, captiva, pajero, hilux, vitara, v8 commodores, found 3 ss commodores a vt vy and a vp but all needed work

I got the ford ltd for $1100

This is the interior i think old mate would be pissed at $1100 its easy a $4000-$5000 carAttachment 120781Attachment 120782Attachment 120783Attachment 120784