Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Nissan Patrol (petrol 5.6 V8) vs Toyota 200 (diesel TT V8) /Towing fuel economy

Re: Nissan Patrol (petrol 5.6 V8) vs Toyota 200 (diesel TT V8) /Towing fuel economy

Yep, hind sight is wonderful, I owned some cars that are very expensive, and hard to get now, a HT 350 Monaro, a HQ 350 Monaro, and a HQ 4 door 350 too, would love to have the HT back, kind of looked around for a HT Monaro to rebuild, but even tatty ones are expensive.

Re: Nissan Patrol (petrol 5.6 V8) vs Toyota 200 (diesel TT V8) /Towing fuel economy

Yeah i dont see the WB one tonners around Sydney hardly ever see the old kingswoods my bro inlaw had a wagon when i had the VB his also had the 253 baby v8, the VB/VC/VH are easy to find but come at a pretty penny or a raggy one sell for a few grand

I have looked at the territory's they are fading away fast too not many on the classifieds under a few grand... my brothers one had a great engine 170thou on the clock 1 owner but it was so badly trashed it wasnt even worth the $400 he was asking just the labor and run around to fix it would have made it not worth it

The old commies with the 253 v8 use around 10-13L 100kms i would be really happy with that fuel economy thats what the 4cyl xtrail uses without air condition on

Looked into the VN/VP/VR/VS v8's but they are rarer than the older commodores, looked at SS, statesmans and regular v8's a couple popped up but these use 17L 100kms that is kind of getting up there in fuel use and thats not towing...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Looked up those jeeps i have looked at them before i was looking at one close by that had a blown rod bearing it was still registered too good thing they can tow 2950kg sad side is the WJ Jeep is plauged with problems i think it would be Land Rover deja vu all over again

From a cost perspective Gazza, I would be looking at something like a D22 Navara dual cab 4x4. Plenty around for realistic money. Not the worlds greatest tow pony but it will get the job done.

Kind of worried about a modern diesel worried that if the injector pump goes i will never be able to afford to repair the car and it will be pretty much worth scrap money to sell and buy another car so i would lose either way

The old commodore 253 has close to 450N.m of torque

Was looking at trying to get a old commodore around the $1500 mark with or without a engine they are simple as can be so picking up a $500 replacement engine could be dropped in an running within 48 hours

Need to put 6 months rego on the xtrail than i should be able to sell, will have 2-2.7k to buy another car

Hard to find a later model LS1 V8 for the kind of cash i will have

Looked the the Jeeps again... they are really cheap

Old commie would be best i reckon

Gaz your boat and trailer laden is probably about 1500kg's? I wouldn't want to try to get that up some of the ramps with a VB/C etc. But on many ramps it should be fine especially with an auto.

I would avoid Jeep.

You can pick up early Tritons cheaply. Good solid old beasts. At least then you have low range and 4wd to help at slippery ramps.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Need to put 6 months rego on the xtrail than i should be able to sell, will have 2-2.7k to buy another car

Hard to find a later model LS1 V8 for the kind of cash i will have

Looked the the Jeeps again... they are really cheap

Old commie would be best i reckon

They are cheap for a reason. If you want a v8 Commodore wait till you find a ls they will turn up.

Don't buy a jeep

Matt

I've got two options a VT SS just came up as did a Ford LTD both 5 litres one is close ones is few hours away are te Ford late 90's era 5 litre engines reliable?

The Limited will be auto. Is the SS an auto or the 5 speed Getrag?

Cheers

VT SS is the older 5 litre 304 roller engine automatic

Auto is better for the ramp. My V6 VT S with the 5 speed manual was twitchy at the ramp even with 700kg on the back. Admittedly it was the V6 but it had a fair bit of low end torque but the V8 in that model was peaky torque wise and was not a torque monster even at those higher revs.

Cheers

Ausfish Platinum Member

Well, after summing it all up and looking at my requirements, money I wanted to spend, general reliability, comfort for my long trip down to Perth for work, and commuting around there when I did--picked up an new D-max space cab 4x4 trayback last Saturday. Poverty Pack (aka SX) base model, but you still get the basic fruit nowadays. Found an unregistered zero k's demo in the configuration I wanted, even had the metallic paint ( rare-ish in an SX) and had the right tray on it. Added reversing camera, towbar, Redarc Towpro elite wired for the EOH brakes , steel roobar, and black painted 16x8 rims with Bridgestone 265/70 A/T's for $46,400 OTD. Yeah, I know., I'm sure they are cheaper over east. Sale of the venerable Patrol and an unused motorbike covered nearly half of it. Love the suicide doors for storing shit behind the seats. Just did the H4 LED changeover for the headlights, got a double row 28" lightbar coming, thats' me set for the next 10 years. Apart, of course from upgrading the rear springs when the stockers sag within 12 months. I don't need a GVM upgrade to do what I do now.

Gazza,
    Keep the xtrail and fix. You're always going on about fixing rather than buying. Or, spend the money you'd need for fixing or upgrading on fuel for the thirsty xtrail. An old bloke said to me in the 80's when I had my V8's and fuel crossed the 40 cent mark that it was the cheapest thing you put in a car. Of course if you want an old V8 because you just want one then go ahead. Another project...go nuts.

On that tho...I had 308 Toranas, a 350 Monaro, 351 Ford ute, 351 LTD....be worth some money now but no fortune and TBH....they were rubbish compared to more modern stuff. Only advantage they had is that they were simple to fix....which was good since the bonnet was always up.

Seriously I had a T31 petrol manual and it towed my 18.5 glass boat no trouble, wet ramp or dry. I had another T31 before that, trouble free. That was after 3 years with a T30, again trouble free. If you want something to be a workhorse for your boating projects, just stick with it and fix it in your backyard as you do.
    "It's not for pretenders" lol....

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    Well, after summing it all up and looking at my requirements, money I wanted to spend, general reliability, comfort for my long trip down to Perth for work, and commuting around there when I did--picked up an new D-max space cab 4x4 trayback last Saturday. Poverty Pack (aka SX) base model, but you still get the basic fruit nowadays. Found an unregistered zero k's demo in the configuration I wanted, even had the metallic paint ( rare-ish in an SX) and had the right tray on it. Added reversing camera, towbar, Redarc Towpro elite wired for the EOH brakes , steel roobar, and black painted 16x8 rims with Bridgestone 265/70 A/T's for $46,400 OTD. Yeah, I know., I'm sure they are cheaper over east. Sale of the venerable Patrol and an unused motorbike covered nearly half of it. Love the suicide doors for storing shit behind the seats. Just did the H4 LED changeover for the headlights, got a double row 28" lightbar coming, thats' me set for the next 10 years. Apart, of course from upgrading the rear springs when the stockers sag within 12 months. I don't need a GVM upgrade to do what I do now.
    sounds like a good price, 5 year ago i backed out of a standard suzie for 56k think it was , went for the cheaper colarado , which was crap.