Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Nissan Patrol (petrol 5.6 V8) vs Toyota 200 (diesel TT V8) /Towing fuel economy

Re: Nissan Patrol (petrol 5.6 V8) vs Toyota 200 (diesel TT V8) /Towing fuel economy

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    On the subject of the Ram, depends on what model you are talking about. The 1500 has the 5.7l Hemi. Towing heavy, they do as well as a 200 on fuel economy--this from owners who have switched-but with a lot more reserve power. Similar power to the 5.6 l in the Patrol in the video. The basic Express model has a driveaway of $80K. This has less rear legroom, but a bigger fuel tank, and longer bed. This is the model which accounts for 70% of their sales. They have 3.5 tonne BTC. To get the 4.5tonne BTC, you need to add over $8K for the 3.92 diff pack. The top of the range model in the Ram 1500 is the Laramie, these are just over $100k driveaway, but are truly deluxe, having, IMO, a better interior than the 200 series Sahara, which is over $130K out the door. Big rear leg room, shorter tray, smaller (102l) fuel tank. Then you go to the 2500 Ram--these have either the 5.7 l Hemi, or the 6.7 l Cummins, and will tow a lot more than you can on your car licence. You are looking at over $150 k to put one of these on the road, but, if you are truly towing heavy, nothing from Japan, available in Australia, can come anywhere near them. Period.
    ranmar, the DS model 1500’s sold under the ASV/Jeep dealer banner have only been available in the 3.9 diff/4.5t tow rating for some time. This most likely because of the pathetic GCM/GVM payload calcs when towing at 3.5t capacity with the taller diff model (3.5 rating). The Laramie 4.5t variant was also a one skinny person in the car when towing at capacity. My view is that people started asking questions re this hence they only opted for the 4.5t tow capacity.

With their Eco-Diesel variant the sneaky buggers dropped the towbar as a standard feature, hence the 35-40kg comes off the miserly payload.

The DT models thru smaller importers have better numbers, especially towing capacity, but are still a bit light on with payload via GCM calcs.

Trust me, I looked at them all, and did all the calcs.

I know people who have switched from 200TTD to the 4.5t model, and towing economy is worse driving at the same speeds, towing the same loads. Around town can apparently be horrendous in comparison, but I suspect there is more right foot involved due to the fun factor from the Hemi.

Bonus I guess is no DPF, injectors, turbos etc to maintain.

Whatever your poison (petrol or diesel), gotta do the math on the numbers, because you can bet your ass that the coppers or insurers will check and do the math.
    Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Nissan Patrol (petrol 5.6 V8) vs Toyota 200 (diesel TT V8) /Towing fuel economy

I thought those were only down graded in GVM/GCM so they could be driven on a standard car licence?

Outside that, why would a manufacturer rate a vehicle with one safe towing/payload number in one country and a different one in another?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Cost of importing. Toyota do the same with the 200. It's rated to tow more in the US straight out of the box. Just more bs to extract money.

You guys are right about the land rover oh boy has it been a problem from the beginning, i found it on ebay and seen it was a turbo diesel i know nothing about diesels so i put in a offer of $1300 and i bought it the next day i came home and installed a new clutch and got the brake lights working but the problem was when i done the clutch because of limited funds i had to import the clutch from the uk which took time and than it dragged on for 3 months replacing the clutch was an awful job it was part after part had to come off it was light a nightmare i finally got the clutch done and it had ran out of rego and been 3 months because i had to again wait for other parts during the clutch change the flywheel bolts are a one time use and i thought it had a leaking rear seal that ended up being a broken oil pan seal, i ordered all new oils and fluids and got her running again but the clutches hydralics were faulty so it has sat in the driveway for 1 year i just cant afford to spend anymore money on it

im in it 1800 now it needs a 300 windscreen and 1000 on rego plus the new original hydraulic clutch replaced lol car is about 2000 value in running order with rego i need to drop a grenade in it

still sitting on the fence about selling the xtrail to fix the freelander or just flogging the freelander off or 700 and cutting my losses

Selling the reliable XTRAIL to try and fix an unreliable Freelander doesn't make sense!

i charged the battery for the freelander 2 weeks ago and the dicky back window wound down by its self than wouldn't wind back up done some searching and the rear window cables are rooted too more money... window has been down thru the last few storms but not much i can do but let her air out

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    i charged the battery for the freelander 2 weeks ago and the dicky back window wound down by its self than wouldn't wind back up done some searching and the rear window cables are rooted too more money... window has been down thru the last few storms but not much i can do but let her air out

Just put it on the market, don't spend anymore money you don't have on it. Maybe hit up old mate who was trying to buy your boat on a payment plan and see if he wants to take the Freelander.

Matt

It was all panning out ok early last year the landy was registered when i bought it but everything just piled on top of the to fix list and it sunk me a gooden i have been reluctant to let it go thinking it would still make a good car but i am well and truly over it financially, my cousin who helped me for i think 3 days over the 3 months to do the clutch told me way back last year "get rid of it" but after i put $1800+ into it i still had a dream...

The freelander went pretty quick.. listed it and it is sold within 1 hour a scrapper/dismantler is picking it up tomorrow

Yep nice work. There are plenty of Landies worth maintaining or restoring, even relatively modern ones like Disco 1 and Disco 2 etc but unfortunately Freelander isn't one.of them. I take it it was Freelander Mark 1? Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Hey Oz was a 1998 Lr the model with the Rover engine not the bmw engine

Yep mate. Freelander 1.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

It was all panning out ok early last year the landy was registered when i bought it but everything just piled on top of the to fix list and it sunk me a gooden i have been reluctant to let it go thinking it would still make a good car but i am well and truly over it financially, my cousin who helped me for i think 3 days over the 3 months to do the clutch told me way back last year "get rid of it" but after i put $1800+ into it i still had a dream...
    Gazza - I think (no offence) your dreaming is killing you. One dream at a time. Multiple dreams = time, money, problems, etc, etc.

Get rid of the little boat for what ever you can, use those funds to get one of the vehicles running, sell it, use those funds on the other car and the boat project.

End result one car & one boat

Good luck

Shakey - If only I lived near the coast

Sold the land rover the guy showed up said he only does wire transfer i refused to accept it than he tries low balling me i refuse he than whips out a magical $550 and transfers the other $150

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Sold the land rover the guy showed up said he only does wire transfer i refused to accept it than he tries low balling me i refuse he than whips out a magical $550 and transfers the other $150
    Did he try the "oh it's not the model/year/colour/trim level/tyre size I expected. I don't actually want it but I can still take it for $200" line?

Matt