Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Nissan Patrol (petrol 5.6 V8) vs Toyota 200 (diesel TT V8) /Towing fuel economy

Re: Nissan Patrol (petrol 5.6 V8) vs Toyota 200 (diesel TT V8) /Towing fuel economy

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    It's kind of a strange comparison, why not all diesel powered compared to the same models in petrol?
    Noel I find 200 Plus series all pretty boring but I thought the 200/300 only came in V8 TD and Patrol only in V8 petrol.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Re: Nissan Patrol (petrol 5.6 V8) vs Toyota 200 (diesel TT V8) /Towing fuel economy

Might be the case, the 200 series used to be available in a V8 petrol.

Toyota currently do not do a petrol due to lack of sales and Nissan decided diesel wasn't a requirement when the Y62 was born. There was some chatter about it getting a Cummins powerplant but it never happened. Dumbest thing Nissan ever decided to do marketing wise. Toyota must have been laughing all the way to the bank. Toyota landcruiser sales are about 1000 per month across the various models. Nissan Patrol from memory was sitting at about 80. Toyota is smashing it on two counts - no need to invest serious money in model upgrades or offer higher equipment levels and simply numbers. As someone who had driven Nissan's for near on 11 years prior to getting the Landcruiser, it certainly didn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Toyota currently do not do a petrol due to lack of sales and Nissan decided diesel wasn't a requirement when the Y62 was born. There was some chatter about it getting a Cummins powerplant but it never happened. Dumbest thing Nissan ever decided to do marketing wise. Toyota must have been laughing all the way to the bank. Toyota landcruiser sales are about 1000 per month across the various models. Nissan Patrol from memory was sitting at about 80. Toyota is smashing it on two counts - no need to invest serious money in model upgrades or offer higher equipment levels and simply numbers. As someone who had driven Nissan's for near on 11 years prior to getting the Landcruiser, it certainly didn't make sense.
    The Y62 was created for the UAE/Saudi market. Nothing better for sand dune drag racing than a V8 petrol except maybe a twin turbo V8 petrol. Fuel price isn't an issue. In reality the Australian market is small we only ever get left over models from other markets

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    The Y62 was created for the UAE/Saudi market. Nothing better for sand dune drag racing than a V8 petrol except maybe a twin turbo V8 petrol. Fuel price isn't an issue. In reality the Australian market is small we only ever get left over models from other markets

Matt
    Very true. We also didn't get the full upgrade i.e. the interior is still the same as the last series, yet the ones in UAE etc have new tech inside including replacing the million A/C buttons etc for a larger screen and a replacement instrument binnacle. Must be some leftover parts in the bin so might as well send them here.

Absolutely. A marketing strategy that the crew from Nissan Australia must be thrilled to bits about. Given the Patrols heritage, it's a real shame. It would have been interesting to see where both vehicles ended up if there had been some real competition in the sector.

I gotta say my Nissan Xtrail has been one almighty reliable car, when i bought it the engine was rooted big piles of smoke choking everyone behind me

I done a $3000 full engine rebuild in the back yard, disconnected the balance chain and shaft

Ran her in for 1200kms on mineral oil Nulon, Castrol oils than ran a normal everyday semi synthetic

Bought her at 256,000 shes now got 320,000 only ever had a problem with the alternator in 4.5 years i have owned her

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Greg P View Post
    WTF were the Nissan design time smoking when they shaped that Y62 - I didnt think they could make it uglier but they have succeeded. Superior under the skin to the 200 series but I couldnt own one as a daily driver without spending another shitload of money on front and rear bar work plus getting rid of the Emirates interior. Both the 200 and the Y62 will probably be the last big V8 station wagons with talk of TTV6 and hybrid power for both and I shudder to think what the Patrol will look like in the next shared platform with the Pajero - my god.
    Yes an ugly unit.

I’m told that when Nissan decided to make a new truck they went straight to the Saudi’s as they are their biggest market by far and said to them we want to make a new Patrol, what do you want and as a result they ended up with the higher, wide, and longer patrol with the very large petrol engine.

Engine no problems for the Saudi’s, they just fill it up from the tap in their front yard.

Shakey - If only I lived near the coast

Ausfish Platinum Member

On the subject of the Ram, depends on what model you are talking about. The 1500 has the 5.7l Hemi. Towing heavy, they do as well as a 200 on fuel economy--this from owners who have switched-but with a lot more reserve power. Similar power to the 5.6 l in the Patrol in the video. The basic Express model has a driveaway of $80K. This has less rear legroom, but a bigger fuel tank, and longer bed. This is the model which accounts for 70% of their sales. They have 3.5 tonne BTC. To get the 4.5tonne BTC, you need to add over $8K for the 3.92 diff pack. The top of the range model in the Ram 1500 is the Laramie, these are just over $100k driveaway, but are truly deluxe, having, IMO, a better interior than the 200 series Sahara, which is over $130K out the door. Big rear leg room, shorter tray, smaller (102l) fuel tank. Then you go to the 2500 Ram--these have either the 5.7 l Hemi, or the 6.7 l Cummins, and will tow a lot more than you can on your car licence. You are looking at over $150 k to put one of these on the road, but, if you are truly towing heavy, nothing from Japan, available in Australia, can come anywhere near them. Period.

I think a Ram will be my next tow vehicle. If only they would do factory RHD so we didn’t have to pay the inflated prices from the conversions. I like the sound of the Rebel in eco diesel with the upgraded diffs.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Do the sums on the Ram 1500 GVM though, it is not much better than the 200s and 62s. I really liked the look of them and was going to pull the trigger last year once my cruiser lease was up but they are so god dam long that I could not get it in the garage at home or the UG car park at work. Nice truck though and the Hemi is a banger. Interior space for the driver was not as good as I thought it would be in the Laramie.

Just a shame the rams and f-trucks are so big, go into remote places and you scratch the shit out of them, don’t even start on the punctures because of the wider wheel tracks.
    If I was going to tow I’d chuck a 6bt in a patrol or maybe a v8 Touareg.

The Ram has the 5.7liter hemi available, which is also in the Jeep, the jeep would have probably beaten them all for fuel consumption. Before you comment it would have failed etc, None of the 3 I have owned have ever left me stranded anywhere.

The 5.7 was a good engine, plenty horsepower to overtake towing a big boat.

Regards
    Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg P View Post
    Do the sums on the Ram 1500 GVM though, it is not much better than the 200s and 62s. I really liked the look of them and was going to pull the trigger last year once my cruiser lease was up but they are so god dam long that I could not get it in the garage at home or the UG car park at work. Nice truck though and the Hemi is a banger. Interior space for the driver was not as good as I thought it would be in the Laramie.
    I was looking at the Eco-Diesel Ram Rebel. Payload of up to 927kg (2,040lbs) in the tray and 5709kg (12,560lbs) on the towball (obviously not at the same time. Maybe a little less with the extras of the Rebel but those are serious numbers for a 1500 to start with.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

whooaaa there horsey.....after seeing all theses dodge rams getting around, then i see in the local holden yard one allmighty Chevy silverado bloody footloose kevin bacon .. i wouldnt have to tow me boat , id could fit in the damn back of the bed.