Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Nissan Patrol (petrol 5.6 V8) vs Toyota 200 (diesel TT V8) /Towing fuel economy

Re: Nissan Patrol (petrol 5.6 V8) vs Toyota 200 (diesel TT V8) /Towing fuel economy

I only know people that are old battlers with shit cars haha none of these new machines

I was under the assumtion a diesel puts out a higher N.M rating at 2000rpm than a v8 petrol at 4500rpm there for giving a much better fuel economy

I know my freelander TD has absolutely nothing in first gear maybe its all torque i donno but slow as to take off, it does have the old school 8 valve Rover engine tho

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Nissan Patrol (petrol 5.6 V8) vs Toyota 200 (diesel TT V8) /Towing fuel economy

It's an interesting test. There were comments made about the Nissan being a problem child with tank vapour locking requiring the vehicle to be shaken to allow complete filling. Whether or not that is the case, I wouldn't know.

Big petrol engines that don't need to work hard being fuel frugal isn't really a new concept. The issue is that most of us ending up driving vehicles "to capacity" so while they can return good numbers, in practice unless you drive like Miss Daisy, it's not always the case. Most of us also don't leave vehicles as stock which can also have what seems like a ridiculous bearing on fuel use. Even between "like" vehicles the numbers are fuzzy. I drive a 200. My run to work is 35k's of a mixture of traffic conditions. Scangauge figures can vary anything up to 2L/hundred over the same route with ease. Some on the 200 owners forum however scoff when told of the numbers that others achieve. For my commute, I'm averaging about 12.8 litres to the hundred - both on the gauge and at the bowser. Others are using 16 on the highway - I run 10.5 - 11. Towing a 2+ tonne boat used to be about 17-18. Since the cabin mods however it's up about a litre per hundred - at a guess due to windage. Petrols also seem to be a mixed bag. Some tell you they are so close to diesel that the extra cost for a diesel isn't worth it. Then another lets it slip they get 600 out of a tank at best. Who do you believe? Is it driving style? Is it vehicle set up? Is it bullshit? Who knows. Here's another head to head review with drastically different results https://performancedrive.com.au/2019...on-video-1700/

My experience of the Nissan is limited to the old bloke that lives behind me. He bought one to tow his van and flicked it within 10 thousand k's. When asked about it, it came down to fuel cost and three trips to the dealer in that time for fault rectifications. Didn't have a good word to say about it. That was pretty much where my investigation stopped. Given the test here, they would warrant a look when the next car is being looked for but not without some serious investigation.

I have noticed fuel quality varies from petrol station to petrol station if im at home i refuse to use any of our 3, 7-11, my xtrail gets sround the 400-450kms to a tank from 7-11, if i go to speedway or another independant i get 500km's or 550km's if i push it with the fuel light on

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Tank is about 60L in both the xtrail and freelander, petrol 60L gets 550km (400-450km towing), diesel supposedly gets 60L 800km unsure about towing wouldnt drop much i'd imagine but its my first diesel

Hi Gazza.

You have more cars, boats & outboards than any other person I know.

Sell everything and get one good car and one good boat. You can only use one at a time.

Happy New Year and keep toiling away ✔️

Lol Shakey the deal was i would get the land rover and sell the xtrail but yhe land rover has been problem after problem sjit just keeps breaking on it... all up i need to be $3700 in deep on the freelander to have it as a working car

The small boat was meant to be sold to pay off the big boat but that needed fixing too i had 2 guys come out and look at it as a non runner and walk away, i took it down the tiver this morning for a frap waiting for video to finish uploading to update the other thread

I have noticed fuel quality varies from petrol station to petrol station if im at home i refuse to use any of our 3, 7-11, my xtrail gets sround the 400-450kms to a tank from 7-11, if i go to speedway or another independant i get 500km's or 550km's if i push it with the fuel light on

correct me if i'm wrong, but i was led to believe all our different fuel brands come from the same refineries, it's the additives and colouring which is different!

Lol Shakey the deal was i would get the land rover and sell the xtrail but yhe land rover has been problem after problem sjit just keeps breaking on it... all up i need to be $3700 in deep on the freelander to have it as a working car

The small boat was meant to be sold to pay off the big boat but that needed fixing too i had 2 guys come out and look at it as a non runner and walk away, i took it down the tiver this morning for a frap waiting for video to finish uploading to update the other thread

I'm a Land Rover fan. I have 2 Discoveries. One 18 years old and one 25 years old. I have to say having a bit to do with Freelanders that I would happily point people to Disco but not Freelander. Especially Freelander 1.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Yes Freelanders are a known problem child

WTF were the Nissan design time smoking when they shaped that Y62 - I didnt think they could make it uglier but they have succeeded. Superior under the skin to the 200 series but I couldnt own one as a daily driver without spending another shitload of money on front and rear bar work plus getting rid of the Emirates interior. Both the 200 and the Y62 will probably be the last big V8 station wagons with talk of TTV6 and hybrid power for both and I shudder to think what the Patrol will look like in the next shared platform with the Pajero - my god.

i lack motivation at the moment stevj. I will get around to it. I am in wind down mode before heading os for a few years.
    PS, i think the commodore frame is still a decend force in safety. Still over engineered compared to more modern sedans. The only way to get weight savings is to engineer close to the bone, Not that i wouldn't take a new car anyway, . I do have a trailblazer ltz waiting for me in thailand. hahahahaha

Sorry to be the one to say it but you are never going to win with the Freelander. Cut your losses and sell it now.

Matt

all good andy just would have been interesting to get to the bottom of it

I think to have true test they should have used a couple of different weighted loads.
    Say 2t and then a 3.5t van.

I suspect the Diesel engines would be noticeably better the heavier the load. As petrol fuel usage graph isn’t as linear as diesel with heavier loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

It's kind of a strange comparison, why not all diesel powered compared to the same models in petrol?

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    It's kind of a strange comparison, why not all diesel powered compared to the same models in petrol?
    I think its more about the dominating market of tow vehicles v8 petrol, v8 diesel, v6 large cc capacity cars sort of flexing towing muscles but i must say 2200kg is kind of a pissy load