Thread: Victim of the drought

Victim of the drought

Hi folks, a friend of mine was checking his near empty farm dam recently and noticed a Bass barely alive in the mud on the edge of the dam it died before he could do anything for it. This fish was caught originally from the Nepean River forty years ago and was released into the farm dam, the fish weighed three and a half kilos.This fish was apparently thriving still and only came to grief because of the very low water level and low oxygen in the water because of the drought.

Re: Victim of the drought

Must have been eating bugs and worms, no idea how a 3.5kg bass would survive in a dam unless it was a huge dam with yabbies in it to or eels

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Yes Gazza the dam is probably 25m x25m but had lost a lot of water and the fish was floundering on the edge, he had difficulty getting to the fish because of the depth of the mud and when he finally got to it it was just about dead. The water in the dam was just about warm. You are right the dam is loaded with yabbies and it has a good canopy of trees overhead. A friend of his who lives on a property down the road tried his hand at one time with fish farming but could not make any money out of it and ceased operations and some of his dams have Silver Perch and Yellowbelly in them that are twenty five years old.

Must have been a good cycle the fish eating the yabbies than the yabbies eating the fish poo and continously cycling

Lucky fish to live so long and eat yabbies all its life lol

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app