Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AGM Batteries for Motorguide

AGM Batteries for Motorguide

Have just got my batteries for my 24v 80lb Motorguide, they are 2x 170ah AGM's, bought off ebay, although I suspect they are more like 100ah.

Do they need to housed in a box? or can i just strap them down to keep them secure.

Planning to locate them under the passenger side dash in my bowrider, wired through a 60amp breaker to an Anderson plug.

Be interesting to hear how other guys have done theirs.

Re: AGM Batteries for Motorguide

If there 170amps they will weigh over 40kg each that's a lot of weight on one side when you have a passenger with you.

No real need to box agms apart from keeping the connections dry and preventing accidental contact. Drop something across 24 volt terminals and shit gets real in a big hurry.

I currently have them sitting under the dash, ill screw an eyelet into the floor either side and strap them down.
    Need another pair of terminal covers.

Theres a short cable connected to a 60amp breaker bolted directly to a + terminal running to an anderson plug that will connect to the MG cable.

The batteries weigh 21kg each, they're labelled 170ah but more like 100ah is my guess.

The 80lb 60" MG weighs 16.5kg.

Looking forward to testing it out.

Quote Originally Posted by ben475 View Post
    I currently have them sitting under the dash, ill screw an eyelet into the floor either side and strap them down.
    Need another pair of terminal covers.

Theres a short cable connected to a 60amp breaker bolted directly to a + terminal running to an anderson plug that will connect to the MG cable.

The batteries weigh 21kg each, they're labelled 170ah but more like 100ah is my guess.

The 80lb 60" MG weighs 16.5kg.

Even 21 kgs sounds a little light for a 100amp AGM ..... they might be 75 amp.
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I

Yeah I decided not to buy off Ebay for batteries....failing to list the battery weight in the specs was a big red flag for me...

The sticker on the side and any claims by faceless sellers are meaningless...…

It really should be cleaned up....a bricks and mortar shop couldn't get away with it..

I think Nagg is right in the ballpark with his assessment of 75 amps....

Go lithium for your next batteries....I bought my mine off a guy I could ring up and talk to...he also helped me with advice on installation and battery monitor setup as well as recommending a battery charger from a competitor.....as I had no experience I found this all very comforting......and I still got the batteries for ebay prices...very impressed by the lithiums so far...I have a total of 6 100Ah batteries onboard so the weight saving is also significant.

Its all good, i was expecting the AH ratings to be a bit dodgy.

I didnt want to have more weight than needed either, will see how these go.

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Yeah I decided not to buy off Ebay for batteries....failing to list the battery weight in the specs was a big red flag for me...

The sticker on the side and any claims by faceless sellers are meaningless...…

It really should be cleaned up....a bricks and mortar shop couldn't get away with it..

I think Nagg is right in the ballpark with his assessment of 75 amps....

Go lithium for your next batteries....I bought my mine off a guy I could ring up and talk to...he also helped me with advice on installation and battery monitor setup as well as recommending a battery charger from a competitor.....as I had no experience I found this all very comforting......and I still got the batteries for ebay prices...very impressed by the lithiums so far...I have a total of 6 100Ah batteries onboard so the weight saving is also significant.
    For intetests sake, whats a 100ah lithiun worth and how much do they weigh?

edit...didn't read proper..

My fusion 100amp LiPO4's weighs 14.3kgs each - cost about $1100 each

I'm also running a 125 amp Enerdrive in my cars canopy which weigh 15kgs ….. As it whas part of the electrics package I can only tell you that they typically sell for $1500-$1700

There is massive price disparity between brands / sellers - eg 100amp - You can spend as little as $750 or as much as $1500 .
    When you are going to spend so much money on a battery - IMO it's probably best to go with known brands , brands with a long history in batteries - Generally you'll pay more but you know that the R&D will be there & that the support will be there if something goes wrong . As opposed to someone filling a container of batteries out of China & selling them off the back of the truck.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Its all good, i was expecting the AH ratings to be a bit dodgy.

I didnt want to have more weight than needed either, will see how these go.
    No disrespect Ben - but you really should do a little research on this kind of stuff …… 170amp or 70amp ??? When it comes to electric motors - amps mean the world . 2 x 70amps ( AGMs) will be pretty bloody useless if you intend to offshore spotlock . remember that your motor will draw around 50amps on full power - you will be destroying these batteries in around 40 mins of use ( Recommended DOD -Depth of discharge is 50% for a AGM ) After 50% your reducing your life expectancy of the battery.

Now generally you'll be running at 25-50% power - so that will give you only up to about (1h 20mins - 2h 40mins) Theoretical usage .

I just came back from a trip where I spotlocked in 10-15knt winds & got about 6 hrs out of a pair of 100amp LiFePO4s before the batteries shut down ( Lithiums can be discharged down to 5-10%) So to get the same performance out of a pair of AGMs - I would have needed a pair of 175amp batteries.

This is why it 's actually important knowledge to have.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    No disrespect Ben - but you really should do a little research on this kind of stuff …… 170amp or 70amp ??? When it comes to electric motors - amps mean the world . 2 x 70amps ( AGMs) will be pretty bloody useless if you intend to offshore spotlock . remember that your motor will draw around 50amps on full power - you will be destroying these batteries in around 40 mins of use ( Recommended DOD -Depth of discharge is 50% for a AGM ) After 50% your reducing your life expectancy of the battery.

Now generally you'll be running at 25-50% power - so that will give you only up to about (1h 20mins - 2h 40mins) Theoretical usage .

I just came back from a trip where I spotlocked in 10-15knt winds & got about 6 hrs out of a pair of 100amp LiFePO4s before the batteries shut down ( Lithiums can be discharged down to 5-10%) So to get the same performance out of a pair of AGMs - I would have needed a pair of 175amp batteries.

This is why it 's actually important knowledge to have.

Chris
    No doubt lithium batteries will be more affordable in the future, bit much for me to justify now though.

I bought these batteries as 100ah, seller said they ran out so would send me 170ah.
    I asked about weight they said about 25kg vs 22, so i suspected they're ratings are loosely based.

At the monent my main use will be casting lures in dams. So will see how these go.
    I just about need a new deep cycle for my 4wd so if these dont work out they will go there.

Very mixed info regarding 12v v 24v 55lb vs 80lb thrust and battery usage, makes it hard to go by. I will just have to see how it all works out for me.
    I opted for the 24v 80lb over but wasnt really sure if i needed it, bit costly to change that later.
    Easier to upgrade batteries later if i find them inadequate.

No doubt lithium batteries will be more affordable in the future, bit much for me to justify now though.

I bought these batteries as 100ah, seller said they ran out so would send me 170ah.
    I asked about weight they said about 25kg vs 22, so i suspected they're ratings are loosely based.

At the monent my main use will be casting lures in dams. So will see how these go.
    I just about need a new deep cycle for my 4wd so if these dont work out they will go there.

Very mixed info regarding 12v v 24v 55lb vs 80lb thrust and battery usage, makes it hard to go by. I will just have to see how it all works out for me.
    I opted for the 24v 80lb over but wasnt really sure if i needed it, bit costly to change that later.
    Easier to upgrade batteries later if i find them inadequate.
    For lurecasting in dams - you'll get away with a days fishing but you'll probably need to charge at the end of the day .

It probably would hurt to carry a multimeter & check the charge through the course of a days fishing …. Then you'll get a better understanding. .

Don't get me wrong - I wasn't necessarily pushing the Lithium barrow …… It's more the amperage .
    At one stage I ran a big 200amp AGM with a 55lb minn kota ….. it was a heavy thing (55kgs) but I knew that I could fish in dams , rivers , offshore & I wouldn't run out of charge in a days fishing ….. but most importantly I wasn't going to flatten it.

I'm sharing my own experience of not really understanding the relationship between the power draw of a minn kota , battery cycling etc & I prematurely killed a pair of pretty expensive AGMs in just a couple of years.

Even in hindsight - I probably should have put 150amp Lithiums in my boat as opposed to the 100s as I cant get a days fishing out of them when it's blowing over 10knts .

Anyhow - I hope it works out for you.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Haha sorry mate I should learn to read better..

I was recommended these calb 100 batteries...they are commonly used in commercial applications apparently like electric cars, airplanes, military, household etc..
    They come in individual 3.2v cells and work out to $640 each 12v and that weighs in at 13.2kgs and have 100 useable amps available...
    About half the price of "reputable brands"..

https://www.evworks.com.au/calb-ca100

Thanks for the input guys!

Yeah i will have a multi meter onboard.
    Fully expecting to recharge each day. I have a ctek 10amp and a cheaper 20amp charger so i can put them overnight as long as i have power.

More AH are better but come at the cost of weight or $$$ if lithium.
    Will be inyeresting to see how i go.