Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AGM Batteries for Motorguide

Re: AGM Batteries for Motorguide

One of the fastest changing technologies around are the Lithium Batteries, not the cells but the circuitry that monitors and controls usage and charging. Pay less, get less is pretty much the way it is. Some of the latest have inbuilt charging circuitry that allows you to use virtually any charger on them. So if buying them you really need to know what you are getting in the way of circuitry and that can be hard to identify. Go with suppliers that have been helpful to others and know their products.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post

Even in hindsight - I probably should have put 150amp Lithiums in my boat as opposed to the 100s as I cant get a days fishing out of them when it's blowing over 10knts .

Chris
    Sounds like an upgrade to a 36v motor would be helpful to you, Chris..

I also have a Victron battery monitor which has an app for the phone...its shows all the details of state of charge , amps being drawn at any time and other stuff like setting high and low point and midpoints to make sure your whole bank isn't damaged because of a faulty cell......without it I would not have a clue what was going on..absolutely love it..

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Sounds like an upgrade to a 36v motor would be helpful to you, Chris..

I also have a Victron battery monitor which has an app for the phone...its shows all the details of state of charge , amps being drawn at any time and other stuff like setting high and low point and midpoints to make sure your whole bank isn't damaged because of a faulty cell......without it I would not have a clue what was going on..absolutely love it..
    Cheaper to go bigger batteries . I reckon I need about 30-50% more capacity to get me through a day where the wind is blowing 10knts. In better conditions I'll pretty well get through the day now.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

One thing you may consider. I have a similar setup with the 24v motorguide and 2 x 12v AGM batteried.
    I got myself a 3 pole/3way switch, which I have wired up so I can have the batteries either in series, parallel or disconnected.
    I also have a relay and switch so I can link the parallel setup with the starter battery (admittedly if I link it whilst parallel only one battery is connected
    to the starter battery).
    What this means, is that normally, I just have the batteries in 24v connected to the electric motor, but when charging, all three batteries are in parallel
    allowing me to use a normal 12 charger (20Amp in my case). Also in theory, I can charge from the alternator whilst traveling. At night (at anchor) I run the lights,
    sounder etc from the 2 Aux batteries in parallel, saving the starter battery, for starting the motor and for use on the bilge pump.

It probably just complicates things a little, but I located my batteries securely in a fairly inaccessible place, so I can't just rewire them whilst charging.

I have a pair of 120Ah, and I don't seem to ever get near 50% drain. I use it offshore and in morton bay all day without much of problem. I am sure if I "anchored" for an hour or
    two in a 2 knot current, I would drain them.

If you are interested in details, let me know.

Also, I have gotten a couple of lithium batteries for use in the 4wd and in the smaller tinny. A 50Ah one for the tinny and I made up a 160Ah (4 cells) for the 4wd. I can easily link
    them together for a total of 210Ah. If you make your own, you need to be careful with the electronics, i.e. get a proper controller with cutouts for protection of the battery etc.

The 50Ah is a unit which has all the electronics built in. As an Auxiliary battery its fine, but a bigger one would be required as a starter. My 60hp 2stroke
    sucks up 150 amps or so on start, which can trigger the automatic cutout. Also when charging from the alternator, once fully charged and the voltage creeps too high,
    again the automatic cutout, which due the the voltage fluctuation, would cause my electronics to cut out. A largish capacitor might be able to sort that out, but
    that exceeded what I was willing to do to make it work, especially around salt water.

regards

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Cheaper to go bigger batteries . I reckon I need about 30-50% more capacity to get me through a day where the wind is blowing 10knts. In better conditions I'll pretty well get through the day now.

Chris
    Would definitely recommend these guys for initial and aftersales service...

https://www.evworks.com.au/calb-ca180

I was talking to a fella at work today who has the same hull as I do and does similar type of fishing, runs a 12v 55lb minn kota (no spot lock) gets all day no worries and said hes never felt the 55lb to be under powered.

Not sure how this will compare to my 24v 80lb as far as battery usage is concearned, running 12v setup would have made things a bit easier though.

I ran a 55lb on a 4.5 centre console for a while. Dams - awesome, bit of breeze no worries, normal tidal flows it would do reasonably easily, spotlocking offshore in current, swell and 10knots - she was working hard. I did use it to fish the run off in the river when Awoonga spilled over in 2011. It was running flat out to hold position.

Quote Originally Posted by ben475 View Post
    I was talking to a fella at work today who has the same hull as I do and does similar type of fishing, runs a 12v 55lb minn kota (no spot lock) gets all day no worries and said hes never felt the 55lb to be under powered.

Not sure how this will compare to my 24v 80lb as far as battery usage is concearned, running 12v setup would have made things a bit easier though.
    All depends on what you want to use it for as already mentioned ...no wind or current and it would last for days...but if you want to use it for spotlocking in the ocean then there will always be variable conditions and currents.....

To hold us in position my 36v was running nearly flat out at 32-33 amps last weekend in washing machine like conditions...thankfully conditions improved before we or the batteries wore out...…

I think it was a good decision to go 24v for you...

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    All depends on what you want to use it for as already mentioned ...no wind or current and it would last for days...but if you want to use it for spotlocking in the ocean then there will always be variable conditions and currents.....

To hold us in position my 36v was running nearly flat out at 32-33 amps last weekend in washing machine like conditions...thankfully conditions improved before we or the batteries wore out...…

I think it was a good decision to go 24v for you...
    Well at least i wont be under powered.

Hi Ben , I just posted in another board here , and yes I went lithium 2 x 135 amp batteries at $630ish a piece . . I undestand the original out lay is alot now and that is up to you . but looking at your picture , I put a bulk head in at the front of and between the two consoles to seperate the front and back and put the 2 batteries between the consoles to provide better balance , Then I have a peice of hinged carpeted ply with a couple of rails so I can make a walkable lid over the top , so I can walk through to the front of my bow rider which is a casting deck basiclly . But you want to center that weight , MO .
    Give a man a fish and feed him for a day , teach a man to fish and feed him for life .

Quote Originally Posted by GAD View Post
    Hi Ben , I just posted in another board here , and yes I went lithium 2 x 135 amp batteries at $630ish a piece . . I undestand the original out lay is alot now and that is up to you . but looking at your picture , I put a bulk head in at the front of and between the two consoles to seperate the front and back and put the 2 batteries between the consoles to provide better balance , Then I have a peice of hinged carpeted ply with a couple of rails so I can make a walkable lid over the top , so I can walk through to the front of my bow rider which is a casting deck basiclly . But you want to center that weight , MO .
    Can you post a pic of your setup?
    How much do your lithiums weigh?