Thread: Why I am happy to pay for the SIPS

Why I am happy to pay for the SIPS

G’Day
    We are currently on holiday at Leslie Dam Qld.
    Poor bitch is down to about 4%.Still plenty of water to have fun in.Been coming out here for about 30 years and noticed something strange on our first day out.On one of the properties on the foreshore, we noticed shit loads of 600mm diameter FC stormwater pipes. Surely to Christ I think to myself, they are not planning to pump more water out of the old girl.
    All was revealed , when the next day we got pulled up for a routine inspection by Fisheries
    No dramas with them, as they were leaving old mate asked if we had any questions that we would like them to answer.
    Shit yeah, I said, “ What’s the go with the stormwater pipes on shore?”
    Old mate replies”Oh that, they are fish hotels.”
    I immediately got the wrong end of the stick, and thought to myself” Yeah righto smartarse,
    I was only asking a question”
    Then he went on to explain that they were there to create an artificial fish habitat, to enhance the breeding prospects of Murray Cod and yellowbelly.
    When I asked him who paid for the supply and transport, he replied that it was a joint venture, paid for from the SIPS and also Warwick Fish Stocking Association.
    We have never begrudged paying SIPS before, and this only reinforces our belief.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Why I am happy to pay for the SIPS

I wonder how many have walked over and pinged each of them with a GPS for future reference.

Thats a good cheap idea, but not very good were they are now good hidden holes for land critters ,it will be a while before some breeding will be happening in them.

It goes to show you the benefits of paying a licence fee - The Qld economy has benefited immensely from the creation of the SIP - Create a good fishery & people will travel

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Chris,
    You hit the nail on the head. Have been coming out here for over 20 years.
    The dam level and the amount of fish caught( whether catch and release or keep)can mean a difference of hundreds of thousands of dollars into the local businesses coffers.
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn 66 View Post
    Chris,
    You hit the nail on the head. Have been coming out here for over 20 years.
    The dam level and the amount of fish caught( whether catch and release or keep)can mean a difference of hundreds of thousands of dollars into the local businesses coffers.
    Shawn
    look what happened on the barra dams …… pre spill , you would be lucky to get accommodation nearby , the caravan parks were doing well ……. then once the fish were lost - most of the lakes were empty …… well known guides pulled up stumps because they couldn't make a living ……. now the dams haven't spilled for a few years , they are restocked & the stocked fish are getting to that magical meter mark ….. people are travelling again .
    IMO The introduction SIP was one of the best fishing outcomes in Qld

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO