Thread: Hella switch wiring

Hella switch wiring

Purchased a couple of hella switches for deck lights and gunnel lights, can’t get my brain into to gear and work out the wiring, any help would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: Hella switch wiring

This is a Momentary switch. Meaning that it is only operating when you actually push the switch down. Used for something like a horn. Because this is an illuminated switch, you need to supply power to it, full time, for the illumination. They are the (+) and (-) terminals, self explantory. So then you need to decide whether you want the switch normally open (NO), or normally closed (NC). If it is normally open ( NO) , it will light up when you close it. So run the wire from where you are supplying the power to whatever you want to switch, to the C (common) terminal, and then run a wire from either the NO or NC ( most people would be using the NO) terminal, to positive on the device you want to turn on and off. You will have already run a negative wire to the negative terminal on the device . You will only use the NC terminal if you wish to turn something off momentarily, unusual sort of use.

EDIT--just re-read your post, and saw what you have bought them for, I think you bought the wrong type . For turning lights and such on and off, you want a toggling type. ie, push it once, turns it on, push it again, turns it off. You have a Momentary type which is more normally used for something like a horn. Only operated along as you are pushing it.
    Last edited by ranmar850; 02-01-2020 at 02:46 PM. Reason: typo

They can be on/off or momentary so they may be the right ones. Essentially it is a single pole change over switch with what looks like an independent backlight - ie the backlight doesn't come on necessarily when you switch it on - unless you wire it that way. You have the option of for example, hooking all the + termicals to say, your anchor light switch so they all come on when the anchor light is turned on so you can see where they are .....or you can bridge the + terminal to the NO terminal and use the led to indicate when the switch is on. The C terminal will be wired to your bus bar or fuse block - wherever the power to run the device comes from, the NO terminal attaches to the load or device and the (-) terminal to your negative bus bar for the light negative. The NC terminal can be used if you want to double switch a device - much the same as a double switched light in your house but that changes the way the entire circuit is set up or to select which of two devices is in use.

My head hurts.

Roger! Thanks Scottar they are defo on/off the ones I have probably threw up the wrong schematic but the pins are pretty much the same, I couldn’t work out which pin you sent the main power to and the NC pin had me confused,the normal rocker switches I had was just 3 pins, pretty simple.

Too cap it off I think this is correct, C pin-power in from busbar,bridge + pin to NO pin for switch illumination when pressed in, - pin to - busbar - deck light wire to busbar,positive wire from deck light to NO terminal?

Yep sounds right. I make the assumption they are LED's to come in under the 5 amp rating.

Switch rating is 5A so would assume led is a lot less!

Momentary switches will not stay depressed when you push them in, hopefully that is what you have. I've just wired some up, if you want a schematic i can send you one but Scottar has pretty well laid it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyfuzz View Post
    Switch rating is 5A so would assume led is a lot less!

Should be. Just making sure you were aware of it in case you had halogens.