Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Battery for Minn Kota Ipilot 55 lb

Re: New Battery for Minn Kota Ipilot 55 lb

12amps is quiet a charge from what i have read u ideally want a low charge amp rate it extends the life of your battery but i don't know a whole deal about electronics

i always charge at 4amps

also dirt and dust on top of the battery between terminals can suck power of of a good charged battery

And disconnect it. The electric too if you don't disconnect prior to charging. Basically any device that isn't switched on and off with a clunky old school type switch that actually breaks the power supply line draws a small standby current. It takes a while but it will flatten the battery and if left unchecked, shorten the service life.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    12amps is quiet a charge from what i have read u ideally want a low charge amp rate it extends the life of your battery but i don't know a whole deal about electronics

i always charge at 4amps

also dirt and dust on top of the battery between terminals can suck power of of a good charged battery
    I believe the rule of thumb is 10% of the battery capacity ( 10amp for a 100amp battery) Wet , AGM & Gel ….. So 12 amp is pretty well spot on.

One of the benefits of the LiFePO4 battery is that you can pump in a lot of charge quickly ( they are meant to be charged at high rates) …. so 25 or 40 amp chargers are common. It's one of the main reason why I went Lithium for my leccy batteries - I can charge them quickly off a generator when remote in typically 3 hrs . Unlike the others where the absorb mode kicks in a 80% LiFePO4 chargers usually drop back at 90-95% ……. A AGM would take 5 or 6/7 hours of generator time .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    And disconnect it. The electric too if you don't disconnect prior to charging. Basically any device that isn't switched on and off with a clunky old school type switch that actually breaks the power supply line draws a small standby current. It takes a while but it will flatten the battery and if left unchecked, shorten the service life.
    Yep - agree …. that's why a breaker between the battery & leccy serves a dual purpose - surge / overload protection + isolation when not in use

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I believe the rule of thumb is 10% of the battery capacity ( 10amp for a 100amp battery) Wet , AGM & Gel ….. So 12 amp is pretty well spot on.

One of the benefits of the LiFePO4 battery is that you can pump in a lot of charge quickly ( they are meant to be charged at high rates) …. so 25 or 40 amp chargers are common. It's one of the main reason why I went Lithium for my leccy batteries - I can charge them quickly off a generator when remote in typically 3 hrs . Unlike the others where the absorb mode kicks in a 80% LiFePO4 chargers usually drop back at 90-95% ……. A AGM would take 5 or 6/7 hours of generator time .

Chris
    Thanks Chris i never knew that 10% rule, i have a 20 year old school Arlec 8amp charger i bought back in 2000-2001 it has 4amp normal or boost 8amp i need to charge a battery on 4amp for 8-10 hours untill it charges a bit than flip it to boost but vary rarely use boost i may start using that from now on as my 100ah takes 24 hours to charge

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

G’Day All
    One more stupid question if I may.
    I have my mind set on a 165AH AGM Deep cycle battery.Do I charge her up after every use, or do I let her drain before charging?
    One thing I noticed while researching price, stock etc, was the high disparity between suppliers.One quote I received was 680.00, whilst one was 295.00.
    I promise that this is the last stupid question from me, Am I better off going with the higher price from a well known supplier (Local), or going with the online option.
    Thanks

I looked into batteries briefly when u asked about them and seen how much the price jumps for 50ah over the 100ah mark its incredible where as u can buy 2x 100ah cheaper i dont get why the price jump?

Sirely whatever is inside the battery is just extended so i cant see why they would jack the price up hugely

Shawn is there any reason u cannot run 2x 100ah batteries?

Remeber boat batteries are likely to be either polarity positioned so buy the orientation your car takes in case u ever get a flat battery in the car it may save your ass one day

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

No Shawn, charge her up when you get home. The further you discharge a battery for a longer period of time, the less life you will get.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    No Shawn, charge her up when you get home. The further you discharge a battery for a longer period of time, the less life you will get.
    Agree, leaving a battery in a discharged state only exacerbates the situation. I always put mine on charge as the the first job once in the shed even before washing my rods and reels.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    I looked into batteries briefly when u asked about them and seen how much the price jumps for 50ah over the 100ah mark its incredible where as u can buy 2x 100ah cheaper i dont get why the price jump?

Sirely whatever is inside the battery is just extended so i cant see why they would jack the price up hugely

Shawn is there any reason u cannot run 2x 100ah batteries?
    Just the weight issue Gazza
    Shawn

Thanks to all for your input.
    Shawn