Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken Skeg (Help)

Broken Skeg (Help)

Made an error when putting boat away the other day and went back farther than normal and the point of the skeg went in between two of the garden blocks at a slight angle and I hear this loud crack. I think I knew what I had done straight away. Got out and found a piece of skeg tip broken off.

Will this small amount of broken tip cause me a problem.

Can I get it fixed and if so how, or do I need to replace the lower end of motor.

I sure did fill the air with blue language.

Motor is a 2000 model 115 hp Johnson Oceanpro.

IMG_0071.jpg

Shakey - If only I lived near the coast

Re: Broken Skeg (Help)

happens regularly

your local boat shop should be able to weld it back on

Another option is a skeg guard (there are plenty of other systems), put one on my outboard, works a treat.

You can weld it back on. That said there are plenty getting around with worse than that.

Cosmetic damage, won't affect motor operation.

Ouch !.
    Feel your pain, all the same..........

Col

You could weld it back on but best bet will be to get a shop to weld the whole end completly by tig its quiet easy should only take an hour

You may be able to some how brase the tip back on or even mould a new tip than grind it to shape and paint

Plenty of ways to fix it

U could use those low temp aluminium welding rods i've had a pack about 5 years and cant get them working maybe u can tho

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Give the skeg a wipe with a file and take the broken bit straight to the pool room.

Had the same on my tinny for the last 7-8 yrs...no biggie..can just clean it up with the grinder if you want..I dredge enough sand that its smoothed it off anyway..

slip a skeg gaurd over it

Nah I think it's gotta be new motor time for sure!!

Broken Skeg (Help)

Quote Originally Posted by RayLamp View Post
    Nah I think it's gotta be new motor time for sure!!
    I like the idea. Just like the current Toyota ad where he gets a flat tyre and then tells his Mrs the car is a write-off.

I’ll give it a go. If you don’t hear from me, it’s not that I am ignoring you, but the Mrs has broken all my fingers and I can’t type.

Thanks for the tips, I’ll be off to find a welder on Monday.

Shakey - If only I lived near the coast

If u cant find a general aluminium welder ring around automotive engineer shops and ask if they can take on a small job, they weld alloy blocks and cylinder heads as part of there work

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Broken Skeg (Help)

When I find someone to do the welding, just so I have an idea, is there anything that the welder should be careful with if not worked with outboard before. Do I need the propeller removed, etc, etc. Do they need to we wary of heat fans rioted etc, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

thats a easy one to fix

i did my 90h my 90hp johnson and was probably a bit larger piece
    they did it with the everything still in place just took their time to warm it up and welded it slowly in short bursts
    afterwards i drained the oil and did a seal anyway just in case

then a week later i did the same thing again and had to get it welded again, the missus wasnt happy

if your in NSW the boat pimpers did mine