Thread: Best Sounder for Rivers/Dams

Best Sounder for Rivers/Dams

Hi

I am looking at spending up to a $1000 on a new sounder for my boat primarily to be used in dams and rivers in Vic and NSW but sometimes in Hervey Bay etc. I am looking at the 9 inch Hook2 Combo with tripleshot. Does anyone else have any recommendations?

Re: Best Sounder for Rivers/Dams

Lowrance have good sounder quality IMO, but where they fall down is charting, and others might disagree, but I find finding a mark and going to that mark a real pain after using Garmin. The Garmin echomap plus 9 inch is down to about $1200 atm and is a very good buy at that. Others will disagree, that's my take on it.

Re: Best Sounder for Rivers/Dams

Depends on a few things. you wil sacrifice sonar quality for screen size in the lower end units.. and gain in the higher end untis if you are happy to go for a smaller screen.
    Id also consider the Garmin Striker range, or if you are wanting some decent mapping options, the echomap range. Humminbird do also have that shallow water market very much secured, and they do have decent mapping options. their interface however isnt as good nor price point.
    Moose

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au