Thread: Braid and random loops and knots.

Braid and random loops and knots.

I am not new to using braid, but it was always dropping straight to the bottom in 50 - 60 metres of water, using a Daiwa overhead reel.. I never had any problems with random knots and tangles.

I have recently purchased a rod and reel combo for the kids, that came spooled with braid.

Using mono, they were always a bit lazy when casting, after the cast, they wouldn't take the pressure up on the line, to ensure it went onto the spool tight and so they always got a few tangles.

I eventually got them educated so that they were no longer getting the tangles. Fast forward to getting the new outfit and they were back with the same problems. I had a go just to prove that it was their technique, when, bugger me, second cast, there was a couple of loops heading out of the guides. It almost seems that the braid is getting getting stuck under the other layers, causing it to pull off an extra two or three loops.

Hopefully we aren't the only people to have this problem, is there an easy fix?

Re: Braid and random loops and knots.

Some reels just don't work with braid. Seems to be the oscillation speed just creates loops and a poor line lay in general. I have a Shimano TSS4 that is just shite with braid no matter what I tried with it

Thanks Scott ,good to know, not what I wanted to hear though!!!

I had taken the braid off and replaced it with nylon anyway, looks like it will stay that way. With the sort of fishing they are doing, nylon is more appropriate anyway.

Sounds like the braid wasn’t put on the reel tight from the shop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Bremic , i was once in your shoes regarding Braid and thought " What the Fuss was all bout Braid ??" , never had much problems with mono and did the job just fine , had the stretch i wanted in mono for certain speciea and just hesitated in wanting to change over not to mention new ball park regarding the knots one has to use so stuck to mono far as offshore fishing was concerned .
    Since moving back to mainly inshore fishing ive slowly gone over to braid mainly because i now fish with lighter rigs and can use thinner diameter lines (Braid ) to suit , especially where casting lures or softies are concerned .
    scottar hit the nail on the head regarding some reels just dont see eye to eye with braid and wind knots are are pain in the butt especially if the line is not wound back on the spool correctly and regullar re-tieing of the FG knot can be quiet bothersome.
    The advantage is "feedback & thinner diameter use of line as previousely mentioned especially if one fishes deep for their Whiting and wants to know when the bight is actually occurring .
    This last season we had a run of good yorkies sit under the boat and first knew they were there as we felt their bights but wouldnt hook up which made us look at the sounder and "Yep " could see the mass down below calling for the castnet .
    Also some braids are just better than others too .
    For Children ?? , be prepared to knot up for them when using braid or just leave them with mono. Rods my Grandchildren as well as Children use are all loaded with mono but i am prepared to continuouisely knot up for them if need be ..

Other concern with kids is if they will be particularly careful with not getting their fingers too involved with the stuff. Anyone who uses it regularly will know that it will cut like a hot knife through butter - the lighter the line, the worse it is. A couple of young ones tangled together and getting the shits with one another could have blood shed written all over it. What reels did you get them and which braid are you using? Fuzz also has a point with the spooling - did you do it yourself and thus know it was put on under tension?

Thanks Scott, the reel came already filled with braid, I didn't take much notice of the tension, will re spool it and see how it goes then. The rod/reel combo came from the downrigger shop, not sure of either brand of reel or braid.

And there are soft braids, stiff braids etc etc, some just do not lend themselves to casting, some reels dont either. I have one reel which no matter what braid i put on it (6lb) it will end up with wind knots.

I have stumbled across this article, might help explain the issue for anyone (me) still trying to understand it.

https://activeanglingnz.com/2017/07/...raid-properly/

Yep, played with the washers and making sure of the lie of the line but no cigar, with one particular reel although the best result was with Gliss line which feels nice but an absolute pain to do an FG knot with.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Yep, played with the washers and making sure of the lie of the line but no cigar, with one particular reel although the best result was with Gliss line which feels nice but an absolute pain to do an FG knot with.
    With Gliss?? , use the finger method for the FG knot whether it be Gliss or otherwise , my only problem withgliss is it scuffs tremendousely if it slightly rube against the hull or if your bail arm bearings are a tad slow , otherwise i like the stuff..

THe issue with braid that has come preloaded on a reel is that it will be very low quality, and you can make a big difference by using the better quality stuff. Having said that, the kids will snag, bust lines, put in loops, not retrieve properly, all the things that mke braid a nightmare, so I reckon you'r eon the money putting mono back on. Or you can go with platypus low stretch which is aussie made and a little more like braid than most mono and is good quality stuff.

I tried some of that WTF Gliss line a little while ago, spooled a couple of reels with it and by chance tested one of the lines, being 19KG you would think it would be able to pick up a 5kg weight off the floor, nope snapped like cotton, I then proceeded to unwind it all and then diced the lot. I was using it as backing with mono on top. But after that little episode I don't trust it at all. I tested the other spools that I put it on and pretty much that same result. It reminds me of dental floss.

Quote Originally Posted by EdBerg View Post
    I tried some of that WTF Gliss line a little while ago, spooled a couple of reels with it and by chance tested one of the lines, being 19KG you would think it would be able to pick up a 5kg weight off the floor, nope snapped like cotton, I then proceeded to unwind it all and then diced the lot. I was using it as backing with mono on top. But after that little episode I don't trust it at all. I tested the other spools that I put it on and pretty much that same result. It reminds me of dental floss.
    Weak as gliss...

Bremic

I've had braid pull extra loops off spinning reel when casting (particularly lower strength braid - being thinner).

Found that I was over-filling the spool. Top of braid wraps sit just below edges of the spool and the casting pull is sideways and prone to pulling off extra loops.

Dropped the fill down a bit and haven't had any problems.

If spool is not so full, the casting pull has a vertical component which doesn't pull off loops close to the spool rim.