Thread: Advise needed fishing Moreton Island

Advise needed fishing Moreton Island

Hi all, I'm going to Moreton in a couple of days staying somewhere on the north western side up near Bulwer.

I'm taking a few different rods but mostly chasing whiting and flat head.
    I'll drive down to the creek outlets and in general just fish out from where I camp.
    Plus head up to yellow patch try and find some yabbies and fish there as well.
    Might even try the eastern side but generally find it's too hard when you are camping on the western side, particularly to be there early.
    I'm also taking a drone with a Sea Ulcer Sky rigger attachment and will send a pillie out on a balloon late in the arvo or early morning. I haven't checked the tides but hopefully get a slack to help keep the bait out.

I've done a lot of internet searching on what and how to catch land based fish on Moreton but there isn't a great deal on line. Plus i'm a boat fisherman normally and this land based stuff is foreign to me. I have tried fishing land based on Moreton before and got nothing.

Can someone flick through some tips on how and what to target.

Oh I have all sorts of gear, soft plastics, vibes, poppers, swim baits, hard bodies, will pump yabbies and buy some beach or blood worms, and am taking frozen pillies. You name it i'm taking it lol.

Thanks for your help

Re: Advise needed fishing Moreton Island

Hi Almako, hopefully this post isn't too late for your trip to Moreton island. I was there in early December, we fished a bit just north of Bulwer, the further north you go on the west side the closer the deeper water. We dropped pillies with a kayak and got a few pick ups, most likely shark as our 30cm wire was not nearly sufficient, probably need 2 metres of wire I'd say. We saw a guy near us get a strong pick up and run using a live Dart (there are so many of these), probably a flat fish of some sort as it was unstoppable. If you want flat head and whiting probably fish near Bulwer as it is shallower close in. We heard that in late November there were a large number of 60cm flathead caught, pity we missed that! Hey, I'm no expert having only fished there once, but hope it helps.