Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: The mentality of our fisho's in this era, Im lost..

The mentality of our fisho's in this era, Im lost..

This was posted in Port Hacking and Botany Bay fishing group on facebook, absolutely no one giving a rats about a drowned possium this is a real animal!!!

I find the replies disturbing no fishos caring about our wild life geez where are we heading in life?

This is really degrading for us humans Attachment 120534Attachment 120535Attachment 120536Attachment 120537Attachment 120538

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Re: The mentality of our fisho's in this era, Im lost..

Last of the msgsAttachment 120539

Facebook is full of half brained twits.
    Unfortunately quite a few of these half brained twits actually have some pull in life.
    Jack.

Same with a few of the south east qld fishing pages of people targeting sharks in the river, I couldn’t give a rats arse about your shark mate, I don’t really see the thrill but each to their own!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Its like as if they have a license to take a fishes life they dont care about other animals its sad really

exactly each their own
    fellas spending 130k in gear to catch and release a bream is just as absurd
    owning 200k trailer boats to travel 150km off shore to catch $50 worth of fish and so on

none of it makes sense but its legal so no one needs to justify what they like doing to anyone else

But the thing is this is a living breathing animal i think by these guys getting approval to kill via a fishing license they dont see any worthy in other living animals

When i seen this post i was in shock i have never seen anything like it before, possiums live next to the water and u can often hear them russtling the tree bushes around the port hacking at night

I personally think this one was drowned or deliberatly hurt they dont just die and fall in the water

gazza ..I wouldn't be placing to much credence in whats said on FB or Instagram..90% is just rubbish...

but I also don't like cruelty to animals though I support harvesting for food if the animal is killed quickly and humanely and if its from a sustainable population..

gazza my boy has been humping banana's on a local farm the past couple of weeks with a crew of blackfella's...he says they are good blokes and he is enjoying his work there but he has mentioned that they often bring Turtle stew and turtle curry to work for lunch...and they are also partial to Dugong meat and fishing for Barra during the closed breeding season...

What are your thoughts on traditional hunting of threatened species or breeding animals..particularly using boats with outboards and nets...?

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    gazza ..I wouldn't be placing to much credence in whats said on FB or Instagram..90% is just rubbish...

but I also don't like cruelty to animals though I support harvesting for food if the animal is killed quickly and humanely and if its from a sustainable population..

gazza my boy has been humping banana's on a local farm the past couple of weeks with a crew of blackfella's...he says they are good blokes and he is enjoying his work there but he has mentioned that they often bring Turtle stew and turtle curry to work for lunch...and they are also partial to Dugong meat and fishing for Barra during the closed breeding season...

What are your thoughts on traditional hunting of threatened species or breeding animals..particularly using boats with outboards and nets...?
    I need to stock up on popcorn for this one.
    No insult or injury intended but you might want to add midden heaps to the list, I still can't figure out why a rubbish tip is a sacred site.

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post

If that is there traditional food, then in my opinion they have every right to it. It is done to eat, not to waste.
    I seriously can't believe you would throw the " indigenous" card, at a topic about ALL people killing for killing sake.
    As in many countries, NZ is an example, the indigenous have rights to the fisheries, over and beyond the land of the laws, as they should do, like the Aboriginals, the Maori lived off the land to survive for centries before the white pilliger came along
    After all, we can I suppose blame the indigenous for now having threatened species in Australia, the white fella wouldn't have had anything to do with that, would they......
    But I thought this topic was about waste and unnecessary killing of our marine or animal life ???
    I thought this was a fishing forum ?... plenty of other forums to spruke political views and prejudices......

Col
    Last edited by blacklab; 23-12-2019 at 01:14 PM. Reason: spelling

You are over complicating my question Blacklab…

and I believe its a legitimate one in my neck of the woods (FNQ) ..and yeah of course plenty of turtles and dugong are killed and injured through boat strikes, habitat loss and other man made activities and plastic etc......and you will notice I didn't mention Crocs as their numbers are ever increasing and thus not a concern in terms of endangerment..

I have seen some posts by Gazza about his love for critters and was merely interested in his views...

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    If that is there traditional food, then in my opinion they have every right to it. It is done to eat, not to waste.
    I seriously can't believe you would throw the " indigenous" card, at a topic about ALL people killing for killing sake.
    As in many countries, NZ is an example, the indigenous have rights to the fisheries, over and beyond the land of the laws, as they should do, like the Aboriginals, the Maori lived off the land to survive for centries before the white pilliger came along
    After all, we can I suppose blame the indigenous for now having threatened species in Australia, the white fella wouldn't have had anything to do with that, would they......
    But I thought this topic was about waste and unnecessary killing of our marine or animal life ???
    I thought this was a fishing forum ?... plenty of other forums to spruke political views and prejudices......

Col
    I believe they have every right to it as well,as long as it is harvested in a traditional manner,that is,no tinnies,no outboards,no nets and no rods and reels.

"You are over complicating my question"

I think not.

I'm sure your son does get on with the " black fellas" quite well, Although the relevance to Gazzas first post. a drowned possum, and peoples reaction to it and aboriginals choice of traditional foods, does baffle me some what.

best I leave it at that.

Col

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    I believe they have every right to it as well,as long as it is harvested in a traditional manner,that is,no tinnies,no outboards,no nets and no rods and reels.
    I think for many people this is the most contentious issue...

Dis im talking about the middle of a big city these possums forage for there food they play, live and sleep around the trees they dont just fall in the water and die, no one harvested this possum to eat for food or it wouldnt be floating

The poor things dont just drop dead and fall in the water

My opinion someone has deliberatly drowned it or hurt it than kicked it in the water

Nice that u take a stab at traditional fishing of the longest living people on earth yes aboriginals have been here over 60,000 years do u think we had modern boats, fishing rods and outboards back than?

Do u know how hard it would be to compete with todays way of fishing to fish solely traditionally? Modern fishing has made it increasingly harder as has over populating the country

You cant just go out and spear a barramundi in the creek because they have been over targetted by many modern day fishos

Its just simply a mix of tradition and modern technology after all its white mans ways making it ever so harder to fish traditionally

Disorderly what if we had our way and said mate u can no longer use your $1200 stella.. $500 rod... $100 line.. and handed u a tree canoo and a spear and said go have fun, what would u say or do? I bet you would give up fishing and complain about it