Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trailer locks.

Re: Trailer locks.

Thanks everyone, all sorted. I really like the Kovix alarmed trailer lock, but for now I've gone a much cheaper option.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Quote Originally Posted by tropicrows View Post
    Thanks everyone, all sorted. I really like the Kovix alarmed trailer lock, but for now I've gone a much cheaper option.

This was it.Screenshot_20191221-112115_Chrome.jpg

Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

I deformed the bottom cup thingy on my ark (looks exactly the same as yours) the only time I towed with it.The steel is quite tough on these so they're a bastard to get back into a usable shape.Still using it though.

You guys would be surprised in todays society thiefs dont give a rats ass if they are being watched, video filmed, cops are coming they are bloody brazin

With torquie cordless angle grinders a 1.5mm cutting disc you'd be amazed how quick that can cut 10-15mm steel plate your talking 15 seconds for a good 40mm cut

Best this to do is have insurance, second best thing is have a tracker installed

About a year ago a car trailer was dumped in my street around 5am the cops were there at 6:30am roughly with the owner the cops came to my house and asked if i could review my home cctv but strangely my cameras must have monthly reset right after it happen i had no recordings of it turns out the trailer had a hidden gps tracker

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    You guys would be surprised in todays society thiefs dont give a rats ass if they are being watched, video filmed, cops are coming they are bloody brazin

With torquie cordless angle grinders a 1.5mm cutting disc you'd be amazed how quick that can cut 10-15mm steel plate your talking 15 seconds for a good 40mm cut

Best this to do is have insurance, second best thing is have a tracker installed

About a year ago a car trailer was dumped in my street around 5am the cops were there at 6:30am roughly with the owner the cops came to my house and asked if i could review my home cctv but strangely my cameras must have monthly reset right after it happen i had no recordings of it turns out the trailer had a hidden gps tracker

Unfortunately you are right Gazza. With a bit of noise most of these devices will be redundant in 30 - 60 seconds - that is if they don't just tow it away on the chains initially. At least the alarm one will be making a ruckus but a well placed bit of blu-tac will most likely quiet it down substantially (old trick for persistent dash alarms). You still need some sort of hitch lock though just to keep your insurance when at the ramp. At home, my insurance insists the thing is locked to a secure point.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Unfortunately you are right Gazza. With a bit of noise most of these devices will be redundant in 30 - 60 seconds - that is if they don't just tow it away on the chains initially. At least the alarm one will be making a ruckus but a well placed bit of blu-tac will most likely quiet it down substantially (old trick for persistent dash alarms). You still need some sort of hitch lock though just to keep your insurance when at the ramp. At home, my insurance insists the thing is locked to a secure point.
    I believed in alarm locks for my motor bikes geez didnt even think of how u can silence the alarm thats a worry!

It's for that reason why that I avoided using any lock that used a padlock or a single bar ……. it's just too simple to cut through with an battery powered angle grinder .
    I still will try to park my trailer (at a boat ramp) jammed against something .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Yeah coming back to no trailer would really suck i have never seen it happen before, how would one get there boat home? I would imagine sliding a alloy boat onto a tilt tray wouldnt be a problem but what about a glass boat?

The only thing that beats insurance is a bad sales man that wont pay your claim.. other than that nothing beats insurance

For me being down and out $3500 for my trailer i wouldnt know what to do

Happened to a mate of mine one night at Cleveland when we were both out. Parked side by side - my trailer covered in grease and dirt, his was shiny new. I had to take my boat home and drop it in the yard then go back to the ramp and grab his. Took his insurance 6 weeks to come to the party.

Lucky he had u there Scott very hard to find a trailer to hire or loan from a mate

I have only ever seen one company who hires out trailers

Yeah coming back to no trailer would really suck i have never seen it happen before, how would one get there boat home? I would imagine sliding a alloy boat onto a tilt tray wouldnt be a problem but what about a glass boat?

The only thing that beats insurance is a bad sales man that wont pay your claim.. other than that nothing beats insurance

For me being down and out $3500 for my trailer i wouldnt know what to do

There are some boat ramps that get hit pretty hard ….. know one that had 2 trailers stolen back in September . I know I use a couple that scare the pants off me when I leave my trailer there & I'm expecting one time to come back & find my trailer gone or car or both .

You've just got to do what you can do …… a lock is a start - reversing the wheels hard up against a gutter or trailer tight to posts etc is another .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    There are some boat ramps that get hit pretty hard ….. know one that had 2 trailers stolen back in September . I know I use a couple that scare the pants off me when I leave my trailer there & I'm expecting one time to come back & find my trailer gone or car or both .

You've just got to do what you can do …… a lock is a start - reversing the wheels hard up against a gutter or trailer tight to posts etc is another .

Chris
    My brother before his accident that left him permanently brain damaged had his stolen at the ramp and he went further in regards to security, he put Klamp it wheel clamps on both sides of the trailer plus the helmet hitch!