Thread: Lowrance Side Scan Tranny Mounting

Lowrance Side Scan Tranny Mounting

Installed a HDS 7 Live on my 3.79 Proline tinny with the tranny (transformer) mounted on the port side. I know about the preference to mount trannys on starboard side but I've also been advised that is an old wives tale. Anyhow I took it for a test run today traveling at idle speed using side scan, the starboard side of the screen didn't show as much as the port side. It was low tide so water was at a max about 3-4m deep

Could this be the problem: - I took spirit level references on water and on return home using the references I noted the tranny had it's port side higher than the starboard. I have adjusted this but no test yet.

Or:
    am I getting blocking from the leg of the 18HP Merc. The tranny is 250mm long and when mounted the end protrudes 320mm from the transom while the front of the leg of the motor is 150mm from transome and protrudes out past the tranny end

My son has the same sounder and problem on his 4.5m Renegade. He said he overcomes it by trimming his motor up.

Re: Lowrance Side Scan Tranny Mounting

Quote Originally Posted by Willdoe View Post
    Installed a HDS 7 Live on my 3.79 Proline tinny with the tranny (transformer) mounted on the port side. I know about the preference to mount trannys on starboard side but I've also been advised that is an old wives tale. Anyhow I took it for a test run today traveling at idle speed using side scan, the starboard side of the screen didn't show as much as the port side. It was low tide so water was at a max about 3-4m deep

Could this be the problem: - I took spirit level references on water and on return home using the references I noted the tranny had it's port side higher than the starboard. I have adjusted this but no test yet.

Or:
    am I getting blocking from the leg of the 18HP Merc. The tranny is 250mm long and when mounted the end protrudes 320mm from the transom while the front of the leg of the motor is 150mm from transome and protrudes out past the tranny end

My son has the same sounder and problem on his 4.5m Renegade. He said he overcomes it by trimming his motor up.
    Willdoe
    I have the same HDS Live 7 setup mounted on starboard side. I found that port side scan image improved significantly by raising the motor leg while drifting in 12-14 metres recently. No issues with downscan though. Nick Whyte from Tech fishing has a few Utube videos on Lowrance system setup which helped me improve overall image quality and interpretation. Cheers SS.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Ausfish mobile app