Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Marine Radio - Do You Need One

Re: Marine Radio - Do You Need One

Don't need a licence to have one, or neither to use it in an emergency either, perfectly legal.
    Courses down here are around 200, not bad considering, or just have it on for the reports and it's there for an emergency....

Col

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Nagg didn't say it was compulsary, he was saying it was definitive which also means if it's not listed it isn't compulsory.
    100% correct ….. Ta

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

First priority is safety not just yours could be someone and there kids 5 k away from you or it could be you and your kids buy one do the course you only have to pay once in your life and maybe one day you could save some ones life it’s pretty simple even 2 k offshore with a big current you are going to have trouble getting to safely anyway that’s my opinion safety first

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    I have a VHF radio...but I guess I that makes me a criminal because I don't have a licence..........
    Yeah......Same.

Col is right for NSW u can have a radio and not be licensed and u can still use it in emergency's without getting in to trouble

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

While States may not have specific laws around licencing VHF radios my understanding is that federal statutes over ride them, as per following:

https://www.amsa.gov.au/qualificatio...qualifications

I intend on doing my licence when the boat goes back on the water.
    But officially, you are not required to have a licence, until you transmit with the radio, owning one and having it in your boat is not an offence.
    As well as, in the case of an emergency, no licence is required to transmit.
    All state and federal laws, are for the actual transmitting use of the radio.
    I've always had one fitted, it was generally always on, listening, but have never pushed the microphone button....
    Can probably see the day that it becomes mandatory, however, currently, licencing for ownership is not mandatory.
    Now that the other band is vastly becoming obsolete, more and more will need or be required to have one, so law changes are probably on there way....

Col

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    But officially, you are not required to have a licence, until you transmit with the radio, owning one and having it in your boat is not an offence.

I've always had one fitted, it was generally always on, listening, but have never pushed the microphone button....

Col

Col how do you know if your radio actually transmits....?

I do regular radio checks with VMR to make sure everything is in working order and they can hear me load and clear....peace of mind 60-70kms out is more important to me than adherence to some moronic bureaucrats moneymaking idea ..

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Col how do you know if your radio actually transmits....?

I do regular radio checks with VMR to make sure everything is in working order and they can hear me load and clear....peace of mind 60-70kms out is more important to me than adherence to some moronic bureaucrats moneymaking idea ..
    LOL, Totally agree disorderly, I Don't honestly think they worry to much about radio checks, as they shouldn't, it's more about the clowns that fill the airways with rubbish use and hinder the commercial users etc.
    My official word, is I listen only ( never pushed the microphone button in anger) but I too do occasional checks myself....
    I've just installed a brand new unit in my current rebuild, I'll try and do the course before she is water tested, but won't panic if I don't get around to it.
    I think it's a great piece of equipment, along with mobile phones and epirb etc, I don't think anyone has ever been done for quick radio checks or the likes, to my knowledge,, but I do see the day though where they perhaps police it a bit more , I think they do see that it could very well save the lives of us un licensed user......

Col

Interesting thing about radio checks, most people do them just outside the harbour, i.e. very close to shore. Mine worked fine logging in and off but after a number of years, 5 km out I couldn't raise my mate or talk to him, turned out the antenna was a little stuffed, replaced it and it has worked well after that as expected.

Licences are granted for life so not a big cost and quite a few VMR's do them. They are worthwhile as they do give you a better understanding of what your radio can and can not do and also what you can/can not do. Seems quite a few people don't realise there is a silent period on some channels for emergency requirements, and as mentione3d plain needless chatter.

I have one, use it as I do cross bars, amazing the number who don't bother calling in for safety sake, the local Caloundra bar (which is quite benign most times) has quite a few roll overs especially over the festive season, they are not reported in the media but its usually other boaties or people on shore that call in the rescue services. Often it is a couple a week, sometimes two the same day.

Edit: This year I had to use a radio due to an emergency and was glad that I had done the course, albeit many years ago but it helped me no end.

.................... Seems quite a few people don't realise there is a silent period on some channels for emergency requirements, and as mentione3d plain needless chatter. .....................
    A couple of people I know have a simple label made up out of Dymo tape on the hand piece that simply reads 'TIME'.

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

Interesting thing about radio checks, most people do them just outside the harbour, i.e. very close to shore. Mine worked fine logging in and off but after a number of years, 5 km out I couldn't raise my mate or talk to him, turned out the antenna was a little stuffed, replaced it and it has worked well after that as expected.

Licences are granted for life so not a big cost and quite a few VMR's do them. They are worthwhile as they do give you a better understanding of what your radio can and can not do and also what you can/can not do. Seems quite a few people don't realise there is a silent period on some channels for emergency requirements, and as mentione3d plain needless chatter.

I have one, use it as I do cross bars, amazing the number who don't bother calling in for safety sake, the local Caloundra bar (which is quite benign most times) has quite a few roll overs especially over the festive season, they are not reported in the media but its usually other boaties or people on shore that call in the rescue services. Often it is a couple a week, sometimes two the same day.

Edit: This year I had to use a radio due to an emergency and was glad that I had done the course, albeit many years ago but it helped me no end.
    "Licences are granted for life so not a big cost"

Hmmm, not according to this:

Licence period

We issue most maritime ship licences for 1 year.

From here: https://www.acma.gov.au/licences/mar...-radio-licence

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Ausfish mobile app
    When my wife calls, tell her I'm in "Ah Me Ting"

Ah Me Ting = 2019 Quintrex 420 Renegade (Tohatsu 50hp 2 Stroke)

Did my "license" years ago, and a VHF certificate of competency is for life.

Ah Google, use the wrong word and it will give us an answer we're not looking for.

We shouldn't be using the word "licence" as that is a commercial requirement and does fall under AMCA rules and regs, we should be referring as Noelm has pointed out to "Certificates of Proficiency", these are held for life and come under AMSA rules and regs and what is required for both VHF and MF radios.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Funny thing is, I'm 99% sure it used to be a requirement. Safety equipment rules went through a bit of a rejig up here a few years back at which time I suspect they dropped it. I have vivid recollections of a pretty unimpressed copper during a safety gear inspection when they came across me fishing solo a fair way offshore in my tinnie years ago. After he failed to pick me up on anything he settled on giving me an ear full over only having a 27MHz and not a VHF. I did point out at the time that the rules simply stated a marine radio and as such I was not in breach of the minimum standard.