Thread: Iluka / Yamba

Iluka / Yamba

Hi All

I'm heading to Iluka for a week for the first time in late February 2020 and was wondering who may be able to provide some guidance as to where to head to catch some decent fish on the inshore reefs around the area.
    I'm coming down from Brisbane and have a 4.1m tinny with 30hp on it so can't go out miles and miles but if it's good weather I should be ok to move a fair way out.

I was planning on always launching from the Woody Head boat ramp instead of going through the Yamba bar as it'll be much safer from Woody I would've thought. I have also seen a few wrecks out a short distance but of course I have no idea about the area and how good they fish.

I'm not asking for marks as such but just some general knowledge. I have looked on Navionics quite extensively but local knowledge is far better. I would like to try fresh caught bait too so if you could at least share some marks on where to catch Slimey then i'd appreciate that. Also will be trying some general trolling of lures too

Thanks again
    Regards
    The Complete Angler
    Fish Responsibly

Re: Iluka / Yamba

Quote Originally Posted by The Complete Angler View Post
    Hi All

I'm heading to Iluka for a week for the first time in late February 2020 and was wondering who may be able to provide some guidance as to where to head to catch some decent fish on the inshore reefs around the area.
    I'm coming down from Brisbane and have a 4.1m tinny with 30hp on it so can't go out miles and miles but if it's good weather I should be ok to move a fair way out.

I was planning on always launching from the Woody Head boat ramp instead of going through the Yamba bar as it'll be much safer from Woody I would've thought. I have also seen a few wrecks out a short distance but of course I have no idea about the area and how good they fish.

I'm not asking for marks as such but just some general knowledge. I have looked on Navionics quite extensively but local knowledge is far better. I would like to try fresh caught bait too so if you could at least share some marks on where to catch Slimey then i'd appreciate that. Also will be trying some general trolling of lures too

Thanks again
    Hi there,
    How did you go Yamba Iluka way?
    Did you get out from Woody head boat ramp?

Hi Mate

Didn't even get out of the estuary unfortunately. We had the WORST weather you could imagine for that week and to top it all off, the week we went, they had closed the Woody Head boat ramp for it's yearly maintenance! The fishing we did do in the bay was tough, although we did have one good day and landed some monster Bream.
    Regards
    The Complete Angler
    Fish Responsibly

Bugger! if you ever get back let me know

Iluka / Yamba one of my Fave stops with the Van and not a small stop either , week or two each time . Love Fishiing the Wall at Iluka and ALWAYS fill the Waeko up with BIG Prawns off the Boats there bring back home.

Is the Iluka pub floor still on a slope?

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    Is the Iluka pub floor still on a slope?
    Only after you have had a few.

Not only on a bit of a slope lol ..Bowls Club where we eat n drink..