Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: electrickery help needed

electrickery help needed

Deleted personal information

Re: electrickery help needed

Sounds ok. Good heavy mains connection to a distribution/fuse block or multiple distribution blocks if you need more circuits - I use these now but there are many variants - https://www.jaycar.com.au/12-way-fus...s-bar/p/SZ2032 . I would do away with the fuses on the switch panels - up to you though just a personal one of mine - If I am fitting fuse blocks I want all the fuses there. Every device gets it's own fuse. From the fuse block the wire goes either direct to the device ( I also typically remove any in line fuses in the leads so there is just one in the fuse block) or to the relevant switch and then to the device. No need for a separate line forward for non switched items provided the mains are up to the job.

Deleted personal information

That will work fine Col. They are available without the negative block if you would rather take your negatives back to the existing negative block.

deleted personal informationl

Hi Blacklab,
    The only additional thing I would add to Scott's reply is having an in line water proof fuse for your main positive feed at the battery end ( I have a 30A ) . This would only be to protect the main cable in the event of a short before the fuses / buss.
    Frank

deleted all personal info

Im like u Col trying to work out the square area of a cable totally losses me i just go by what the shops says the amp rating is for that particular cable

U ideally only want a percentage margin on the battery fuse if u go to large of a fuse it may never burn out before a wild fire breaks out but im not an electrician so i donno what that safety margin would be, for me i would probably go 25% bigger than the max load

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

deleted personal information

Apart from all of above I've also moved to F type crimps, unfortunately jcar have a very limited available.

Col i have not used those melt and shrink joiners i first seen them on facebook as a add i thought they looked really good just what we needed on our market than seen them recently in jaycar

What ever u do dont use the crimp connectors from jaycar they are the worse connectors ever..

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Col, I have used those solder joints jcar sell and they do work but I have had them fail as well if too much heat is applied. They are useful if you have to do joins in really tight places and don't have enough cable to push some heat shrink to one side.

The way I solder is, grab some multistrand cable where the wires are really thin and strip a piece. Slip a piece of dual wall heat shrink (look around as jcar stuff has very little glue in it) over one cable, push the exposed ends of both cables together and use a piece of the fine multistrand to tie it all together very tightly then solder it, heat shrink it and voila.

The problem with most solder joints is that no matter how hard you twist it together as soon as you apply heat it will want to open up and you will use far more solder than needed and create resistance.

For terminations I know you can just strip the cable and wrap it around the screw fitting but I prefer the F Crimp (still need a little bit of heat shrink). The F Crimp is far superior to a cylindrical tube style crimp.
    PS RS components have a good range of F crimps.

I have a pair you can borrow.
    I know what you mean about loans, can find my step drill bit and there's only a few people I loan to these days and they all claim they don't have it. I'll have to start writing it down.