Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: electrickery help needed

Re: electrickery help needed

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Col, Scott, the initial figures quoted 24 Volts not 12 Volts. I believe that using a lower power on LEDs considerably shortens their life span. I've got those little LEDs that are used behind 240V light switches and i often grab one to use when trying different switches in the shed to see if I've got the wiring set up correctly, at 12 Volts they barely shine but it does what needs to be done for me.
    Back to front Sam. Too high a voltage and thus current and they stop working period. LED's actually run on very low voltage - typically 1.8 to 3.3 volts depending on the colour. To run them on a higher voltage, one of three things is done.

First option is to wire them in series - as an example if they are a 3.3 volt LED, 4 of them wired in series across 12 volts means they are within their operating spec (charging voltages aside).

Second option is to bias them with a resistor so as to avoid excess voltage/ current flow. This is how the strip lights are usually done and also how most indicator lamps are done. The resistor creates the necessary voltage drop so the LED isn't overdriven. Resistors do not make any active adjustment in response to a lower input voltage - thus the LED dims.

The third option is with a power supply - this is what is in a lot of LED spotlights and household LED globes. It's also the reason that DC powered lighting can have variable voltage input and still function at the same brilliance. It's the power supply that is converting the input voltage to that required by the LED. A properly designed power supply won't have an issue with any voltage within it's specified range. If it's a crap design of course all bets are off. These power supplies can be either constant voltage or constant current. The type used will be dictated by the LED arrangement within the light module.

on call, nothing to do but wait..... deleted personal content

deleted personal content

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    It's certainly time consuming, If only I could get a good amount of time in one go, this an hour here and hour there doesn't work...
    Just got the wires I have already chased, wire tied and held in place with those single screw clips. Two circuits complete yah.... Just getting the hydraulic hoses attached at the helm and running them, a wee extra slot to be cut into the bulk head to keep everything running fairly straight.... Tomorrow job..

l.e.d. strip lighting. Never had it, never installed it. What I want to do, is have this led strip lighting running down both sides, just to light up as much of the floor as possible, just so on those night fishes, I don't end up kicking into something and ending up going for a swim.. cause if its there, I for sure will kick into it..... I hear blokes going for under the gunnel to attach the led strip..., As per the photo attached, that would illuminate the bottom shelf area and I suppose radiate out to light up the floor,,,, would it work if I was to put the strip under the shelf at the bottom ? the carpeted board finishes lower than the slf and the gap between the shelf board and the floor, is a size 9 steel toe cap !, would it be better under there ? or better right up under the gunnel ?.
    Second question, I see plenty on Ebay, from all and sundry seller, but could anyone recommend a brand or type to use ? I see whitworths here in Melbourne sell those 5 mtr strips, which would cover both sides I would think..........

Col
    I use the alloy extrusion mounted ones. They are anchored up under the gunwale on brackets that hang off the supports for the cables. Under the side pocket will be too low and be subject to water IMO and it won't light the side pockets interior. I have also fitted secondary switches for each side beside where we sit when fishing up under the gunwale so that if I need to turn the lights on to bait a hook etc, I don't have to get up. As for the flexible strip lights, personally I think they are shite. Seen more than enough destroyed by water or hanging down because the cheap two sided backing tape has let go.

deleted content

Came assembled Col.I just got them off ebay. Do a search for "Rigid LED strip lights". There's a heap of them. Also available from camping stores, most ships chandlers, Autobarn, Jaycar etc but they will be more. The ones I got weren't long enough to go between the cable fixtures so I bolted a bit of lightweight aluminium angle in there and bolted the lights to that. Lights all bar a strip down the middle up like a disco. There are better quality ones available from Hella or Narva that are water proof with plastic surrounds - the price tag reflects the better quality though.

content deleted

another deleted

I have 2 small floods mounted at each end, I did have one large one in thr middle (still have it somewhere) but I found that too much shadow across the baitboard at night when ever anyone stood there.

deleted personal content

What has become the "typical" set up is a pair of flood lights. I don't have anything as I have a removable extension that if there, blocks the light. I just use the LED internal light for bait board work - you don't need a heap of light most times and if you do, a LED headlamp gives a more usable outcome without any shadowing issues. You already have the bar light mount in place - if you were happy with the outcome, I'd just use that. The old bar light maybe suitable for an under gunwale application or a good in cabin light??

deleted content

All depends on your eyes Col. Personally using red or other colours is something I hate. Always good to have at least one light somewhere that will be bright enough to sort out any whoopsies that may require minor surgery. A good cabin light can also be useful if the minister for war and finance is more into reading than fishing so to speak. I have seen similar LED lights at Boating and RV I think.

Thanks Scott.
    I Live a great existence, My lovely wife gets sea sick in a bath tub, fishing programmes on TV make her Woosie,,, most of my mates can't believe I'm alowed to continue with my fishing/boating pleasure, I am truly blessed .... She will travel up to Bermy or Portland with us and enjoys just relaxing/shopping sometimes with my decky's wife, while I ravish in my passion...... I am blessed LOL. I am going to try take her on lake Eildon when the boat gets back on the water, she has in the past been on large houseboats there, if not only to prove it's mind over matter, her whole family are the same, go figure.....
    Back to LED lights, Yep, I'll stick with the blue led's under the gunnels and just go for another white up above...... done.

Col

over all, this was a great thread...