Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: electrickery help needed

Re: electrickery help needed

deleted personal property

InkedCols wiring_LI2.jpgSomething like this?

deleted personal info

If you get them neat enough Col, you pretty much don't need the split loom. Just a case of taking your time - your choice though. I usually use one of the little plastic clips about every 10cm or so - just depends on the length of the the run and how the math works out with spacings. Draw a pencil line so you get them as straight as possible. My OCD kicks in if I'm following a boat on the road where the transom mount transducer cable is giving it's best impression of a dogs hind leg . If there is a section of hull such as across under the dash on some boats, where you don't have enough thickness to use screws, you can use a bit of aluminium strip - I use 3mm thick stuff. Screw the clips to it, cut the screws off flush, rough the back of it up and sika it on where required. Works heaps better than the crappy stick on bases. For bigger stuff like battery switches, VSR's or heavy Negative links, I use the same approach if there is nowhere to screw them but with a glassed / flowcoated bit of ply.

I was dribbling in my reply here, deleted

personal info and photo's deleted

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    If you get them neat enough Col, you pretty much don't need the split loom. Just a case of taking your time - your choice though. I usually use one of the little plastic clips about every 10cm or so - just depends on the length of the the run and how the math works out with spacings. Draw a pencil line so you get them as straight as possible. My OCD kicks in if I'm following a boat on the road where the transom mount transducer cable is giving it's best impression of a dogs hind leg . If there is a section of hull such as across under the dash on some boats, where you don't have enough thickness to use screws, you can use a bit of aluminium strip - I use 3mm thick stuff. Screw the clips to it, cut the screws off flush, rough the back of it up and sika it on where required. Works heaps better than the crappy stick on bases. For bigger stuff like battery switches, VSR's or heavy Negative links, I use the same approach if there is nowhere to screw them but with a glassed / flowcoated bit of ply.
    Scott, you must have ESP as I was going to ask how to run cable across the cabin roof.

deleted personal info

Just make sure you clean the surface well too and have something to either wedge or clamp the alloy in place until the sika goes off. No good figuring that out after the sika has gone on LOL.

deleted personal information

To calculate current draw for anything with a power consumption rating, simply divide the power used in watts - in this case 108 by the voltage that is being used to run the device in volts - in this case 12 - gives a current consumption of 9 amps. I would run a 15 amp fuse - 10 is a bit close.

I assume from the narrative you will mount this on the bow rail as far forward as possible - if so it will be ok. I run a couple of small LED spots on my targa which work pretty well as the roof shades the bow. The biggest issue with LED's is the spread of the beam means there is a lot of light up close which can "drown out" anything further away. If there is any light cast onto the bow, it will make it hard to see anything ahead until it gets close unless it is reflective.

personal info deleted

Hey Col u can wire up your light to a battery out of the boat in a dark room or the garage if u have one to see how well that light lights up in the dark i would do this incase u get it all wired in and decide its not for u

do u have a pic of the light? maybe someone else here is running one and can comment

Col, Scott, the initial figures quoted 24 Volts not 12 Volts. I believe that using a lower power on LEDs considerably shortens their life span. I've got those little LEDs that are used behind 240V light switches and i often grab one to use when trying different switches in the shed to see if I've got the wiring set up correctly, at 12 Volts they barely shine but it does what needs to be done for me.

Google is your friend.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/108W-Boat-CREE-LED-Light-Bar-COMBO-Spot-Flood-Marine-Offroad-Truck-SUV-4-Row-/162249645109