Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: electrickery help needed

Re: electrickery help needed

deleted personal info

What size cable are you running from the battery to the front?

another post disappears

Hey Col i had LeD strip lights a long time ago the flexible rope type mine were 5050 size leds from memory they used 1amp per meter they use to come on a 5 meter roll somecame with a 5amp 240v power supply for home use but they are all 12volt

and another one goes

Post pics once done, would like to see how she lights up

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

gonesky, into internet heaven...

Hi Col,
    I must say I'm puzzled by your ally connectors, never seen any but that doesn't mean much been out of the game for a while. The last boat wiring I did (about a year ago ) I found heat shrink connector at Jaycar, both the spade & ring type. From memory there are a couple of different wire guage sizes. With the crimping, the ratchet crimper is supposedly a more exact crimping force (that is the correct force) to ensure a good crimp. I always give the wire a tug to see if the crimp is solid. So as long as the crimper is correct for the lugs it should be fine. I brought the cheapest Bunnings heat gun which helped a lot (used to use the side of soldering iron ).
    Hope this helps
    Frank

I dont worry too much about fuse sizes. If your device blows a fuse its fxcked and a throw away item. If it blows a 3 amp fuse it will also blow a 5 or 10 amp fuse. Its still fxcked. 10amp probably getting hot with small cable tho

a lot of help by some great members was had here...

Hi Col,

Can't comment on the materials in the lugs - usually all tinned copper though. The manufacturers of the heatshrink lugs don't recommend the ratchet crimpers because they are a bit harsh on the heatshrink - they usually leav a few little holes as indicated by the glue coming through them or worse depending on the jaws. From what I was lead to believe the crimpers for those are more like the el cheapos that have the strippers and everything in them - regardless, when I do use them I use my ratchet crimpers. My set don't have any raised lettering that stamps into the crimp like some sets do so they don't seem to do as much damage.

removed personal content

electrickery help needed

Hi Col, I hope I’m on the right path here, but I’ve been following this wondering what the single and double crimp tools are you’re referring to ?

My experience has been theres tools are for uninsulated lugs, and theres tools for the insulated lugs.
    The tool for uninsulated lugs I guess would look more like a single tooth shaped die, whereas the dies on the insulated crimp tool do have a double row sort of setup.

So the tool used for insulated lugs have concave shaped does that won’t damage the insulation but the tool for uninsulated lugs have one die with almost a tooth designed to put an impregnating into the joint.

These are the tools I have:
    For Insulated:

Uninsulated :

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The heatshrink ones use a different set up again Evo - one type as an example.

https://rhinotools.com.au/product/he...ector-crimper/

Thanks Scottar
    What about the single and double clamp that Col was referring to ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk