Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: electrickery help needed

Re: electrickery help needed

deleted content

Hey Col a nifty idea i picked up when i owned a 18.5ft swift craft, when u run the bilge out the side put a loop in the hose so if any waves hit u side on the water wont flow down the bilge hose into the boat

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

One amp will be fine Col.

deleted content

deleted content

Most VHF radios have DSC these days which requires the radio to be fed with a position from the GPS unless they have one built in. It typically connects to the NMEA0183 output of the GPS unit. Some also have the ability to transmit AIS targets and DSC positions to be displayed on the GPS screen. The capabilities of units vary so consult your manual for both the expected features and the wiring diagram. If you are stuck, post up model numbers or get onto Moose.

To get the DSC to work, you will also require a MMSI from AMSA to be programmed in. To get the MMSI, you have to hold a SRCOP (radio license) or whatever they are calling it these days. It's not mandatory to have functional DSC, but it is an additional safety feature and some radios have alarms that constantly sound periodically if the GPS isn't connected.

deleted content

Question.......do little men, with short man syndrome, always make great internet keyboard warriors ??

If it was mine I would solder and heat shrink. I wouldn't cut it shorter unless it is excessively long, if corrosion is going to set in then you might have to cut a bit back anyway afterwards for a repair and if you remove it all how are then are you going to do it?

Tinned wire is better in a marine environment but standard copper will go for years (decades) without issue if it is kept dry. Even tinning will not help you long term though if you can't keep water away from your connections. The GME radios are pretty much the same. I've got two that are now 14 years old and still functional apart from one speaker that failed due to corrosion from getting wet. Don't cut the leads connected directly to your radio. The plug in lead can be shortened if required - just make sure the appropriate sized fuse is still in circuit. I wouldn't bother shortening just to replace with tinned wire though.

delete comments

Seriously getting there !!
    only one more page to delete

just do a current check when you get them Col with a multimeter. Probably won't find a 2.5 amp fuse (and it would probably be a bit close for comfort with the current draw). 5 amp would be adequate.

Ausfish Silver Member

would be interested to know how you go with the led lights and static on vhf and fuson radio.
    thanks

deleted post