Thread: NSW Fisheries relaxing regulations

NSW Fisheries relaxing regulations

Hi All

I see NSW fisheries are relaxing their regulations with regard to particularly the Grey Nurse Shark habitat & reopening (with restrictions) places like Montague Island

New Fishing Access In Batemans Marine Park Increased recreational fishing access will immediately be provided in five sanctuary zones in the Batemans Marine Park, the NSW Government has announced. The following changes now apply in these zones: Brou Lake South sanctuary zone: Catch and release recreational fishing is now allowed. Montague Island South and East sanctuary zone: Recreational fishing is now allowed. Fishing will be restricted to protect grey nurse sharks between 1 November and 30 April each year as follows: o No fishing with bait. o No fishing at anchor. o No fishing with a wire trace. o No nets (landing nets allowed). Clarks Bay – Freshwater Bay and Forsters Bay sanctuary zones: Recreational fishing activities are now allowed. Nangudga Lake sanctuary zone: Recreational line fishing and prawning using a hand-held dip/scoop net is now allowed. All other fisheries rules and regulations continue to apply. This announcement will provide immediate access to these areas before school holidays start. A broader review of the Batemans Marine Park is ongoing and will provide Government with key information about management of the Park going
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: NSW Fisheries relaxing regulations

nice bit of research , i wonder was it the fisheries or a other party that are doing the review. any case it must be a positive. and to implement it quickly .
    apparently there is a artificial reef planned early next year but unsure of the location.

Some of those regulations seem like a nice balance between protecting an individual “at risk” species and allowing access. If only QLD could think so logically instead of just zoning things green without any real need.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    nice bit of research , i wonder was it the fisheries or a other party that are doing the review. any case it must be a positive. and to implement it quickly .
    apparently there is a artificial reef planned early next year but unsure of the location.
    I'm not sure on who did the review …… but we know that fishing is allowed with restrictions at a place like Fish Rock (South West Rocks NSW) - this is a place that is probably the best regarded GNS habitat in NSW & sustains several dive charter operations - The fishing clearly does not impact on GNS when using artificials & not anchoring.

Places like Narooma (Montague Is ) or Seal Rocks would be no different .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Im part of a drone group on facebook the grey nurse shark population has absolutely boomed people are posting pictures of these sharks swimming along the coast all the time amazing to see

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

there is a grey nurse population around the toll gates in batemans bay , never ever new they where there until i i was chatting to a family that reguallery dives that area just for the pleasure of veiwing them .

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    there is a grey nurse population around the toll gates in batemans bay , never ever new they where there until i i was chatting to a family that reguallery dives that area just for the pleasure of veiwing them .
    That's why the Tollgates are GNS declared habitat …… sadly this took out some of the best fishing in the area

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Im part of a drone group on facebook the grey nurse shark population has absolutely boomed people are posting pictures of these sharks swimming along the coast all the time amazing to see

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app
    I've snorkelled with GNS & they are quite amazing & placid - still scary though ……. it is such a shame that the spearo's did what they did to them particularly during the 60's & 70s .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO