Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 38

Thread: GVM upgrades

  1. #16

    Re: GVM upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Good read there SS - That's an interesting question on Warranty after doing a GVM upgrade . My understanding is that if it is done properly through someone like lovells / pedders etc with an engineers certificate - you wont void the warranty .. but it is something that I will check .

    Chris
    Hi Chris I think the warranty comes down to the vehicle manufacturers maximum axle weight specs and there stock rims on in the end
    With my Toyota Ute I got it done before it was registered so it was nationally legal
    The ARB upgrade was the only one that set there limit to the published vehicles maximum weight the others where above it
    The GVM now is 3780 kgs and if I am fully loaded I can only tow 3020 kgs
    When I took delivery of it I fuelled both tanks up and put it over the scales with nothing in it
    It came back at 2580 kgs so that gave me 1200 kgs to play with which is not much when my welder ways around 550 with out leads and one tool box is around 250 loaded and then there is everything else to put in it including passengers but if I had not done it I would have been only able to put 720 on and in it so legally I would have been stuffed but also the genuine Toyota springs dont last long so eventually I would have had to replace them with something more substantial
    The biggest thing with it is if you dont have it loaded up it can be like a cut snake on the road as everything is beefed up and I am also pretty sure it came back around $5000 installed but it probably was a substantially bigger upgrade weight wise then yours



    Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

  2. #17

    Re: GVM upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Green View Post
    Hi Chris I think the warranty comes down to the vehicle manufacturers maximum axle weight specs and there stock rims on in the end
    With my Toyota Ute I got it done before it was registered so it was nationally legal
    The ARB upgrade was the only one that set there limit to the published vehicles maximum weight the others where above it
    The GVM now is 3780 kgs and if I am fully loaded I can only tow 3020 kgs
    When I took delivery of it I fuelled both tanks up and put it over the scales with nothing in it
    It came back at 2580 kgs so that gave me 1200 kgs to play with which is not much when my welder ways around 550 with out leads and one tool box is around 250 loaded and then there is everything else to put in it including passengers but if I had not done it I would have been only able to put 720 on and in it so legally I would have been stuffed but also the genuine Toyota springs dont last long so eventually I would have had to replace them with something more substantial
    The biggest thing with it is if you dont have it loaded up it can be like a cut snake on the road as everything is beefed up and I am also pretty sure it came back around $5000 installed but it probably was a substantially bigger upgrade weight wise then yours



    Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    The payload is the critical issue I've already worked out that theoretically . I can avoid a GVM upgrade if I fill the boat and use it as a trailer - not that I want to go this path . but ultimately I'll need a boost to the rear end & probably airbags - spend $1500 but forego the payload ,,,, or go the GVM @ $4000 to carry more in the car (tents / tarps / poles / esky etc)

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  3. #18

    Re: GVM upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    The payload is the critical issue I've already worked out that theoretically . I can avoid a GVM upgrade if I fill the boat and use it as a trailer - not that I want to go this path . but ultimately I'll need a boost to the rear end & probably airbags - spend $1500 but forego the payload ,,,, or go the GVM @ $4000 to carry more in the car (tents / tarps / poles / esky etc)

    Chris
    Sell your trailer and get a heavier capacity one no doubt you probably dont have much to play with the one you have I know mine has bugger all but also like Dignity said once unregister it upgrade the suspension and braking then re register it dont know whether it works south of the border but might be worth looking into it


    Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

  4. #19
    Ausfish Addict Chimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Gold Coast

    Re: GVM upgrades

    Why do you need to de register the trailer?
    I upspecked a Tinka with hydraulic brakes etc and had the changes applied to the registration details in Qld by taking in a letter from the qualified man who did the upgrade.
    Done for safety and most importantly insurance purposes without fuss.

    On the tow riig side, once RAMs are available here imported as right hand drive direct from their factory the prices should come down a fair bit and they will definitely be worth considering.
    What could go wrong.......................

  5. #20

    Re: GVM upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    Why do you need to de register the trailer?
    I upspecked a Tinka with hydraulic brakes etc and had the changes applied to the registration details in Qld by taking in a letter from the qualified man who did the upgrade.
    Done for safety and most importantly insurance purposes without fuss.

    On the tow riig side, once RAMs are available here imported as right hand drive direct from their factory the prices should come down a fair bit and they will definitely be worth considering.
    Its probably the easiest way if you where going to modify it yourself


    Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

  6. #21

    Re: GVM upgrades

    It is the vehicle supplier's disgression whether to warrant any issues that possibly could come from after market upgrades or alterations. No amount of certificates will change that. It may be legal to use these upgrades if certified but the manufacturer does not and most likely will not entertain warranties. They warrant what they provided for you as is, un-altered.

    Look at increasing the cartage payload on the trailer rather than getting the last KG out of the vehicle. The trailer will tow better heavier than lighter.
    Even if that means you run up with fridges etc in the boat then put them into the ute when at camp.
    Jack.

  7. #22

    Re: GVM upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Green View Post
    Its probably the easiest way if you where going to modify it yourself


    Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    Most definitely. Also putting hydraulic brakes on won't give you an automatic upgrade unless your rims and tyres have the required rating. Generally trailer manufacturers only use ratings to what the advertised load is for their trailers. I know of instances (neighbour was insurance accident investigator)where insurance has been voided on rollovers due to under rated rims/tyres.

    It's becoming more difficult these days, had a mate who had a puncture on his car and drove it around the corner to the local tyre mob. He asked them to put the spare on while they fixed/repaired the faulty one. They wouldn't do it because his spare was out of date. Seems that the legal system has bitten them on this issue before,.

  8. #23

    Re: GVM upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    It is the vehicle supplier's disgression whether to warrant any issues that possibly could come from after market upgrades or alterations. No amount of certificates will change that. It may be legal to use these upgrades if certified but the manufacturer does not and most likely will not entertain warranties. They warrant what they provided for you as is, un-altered.

    Look at increasing the cartage payload on the trailer rather than getting the last KG out of the vehicle. The trailer will tow better heavier than lighter.
    Even if that means you run up with fridges etc in the boat then put them into the ute when at camp.
    There are a hell of a lot of government fleet vehicles that are bought & the GVM needs to be upgraded for the job at hand .. ditto for mines vehicles , tradies etc - I couldn't imagine that car makers would ignore this segment & say no in the advent of an insurance claim . wouldn't you think ?
    I'm also inclined to think that fleet managers would be all over this like a rash .

    I will check with Nissan though

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  9. #24

    Re: GVM upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I will check with Nissan though

    Chris
    Nissan refused warranty issues (for me) in rear suspension/driveline on the basis of unrelated aftermarket accessories. Example non factory wheels (although identical size and offset) and non genuine bullbat (Arb not Nissan). They chased their (acknowledged) issue at every service for 3 years unsuccessfully, and then scrambled to back out of responsibility when I bought a Toyota.

    So I would not trust anything those criminals say.

    Even the dealers were embarrassed and appalled at Nissan au actions, and the dealers can at times be about average in their approach to warranty.....
    PS. No gvm upgrades here, so that would be a real easy one for them to hide behind.

    I would think no gvm increase could however be a fair validation of no increased max load, depending on what broke...





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #25

    Re: GVM upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by Darren J View Post
    Nissan refused warranty issues (for me) in rear suspension/driveline on the basis of unrelated aftermarket accessories. Example non factory wheels (although identical size and offset) and non genuine bullbat (Arb not Nissan). They chased their (acknowledged) issue at every service for 3 years unsuccessfully, and then scrambled to back out of responsibility when I bought a Toyota.

    So I would not trust anything those criminals say.

    Even the dealers were embarrassed and appalled at Nissan au actions, and the dealers can at times be about average in their approach to warranty.....
    PS. No gvm upgrades here, so that would be a real easy one for them to hide behind.

    I would think no gvm increase could however be a fair validation of no increased max load, depending on what broke...





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Interesting when the Nissan dealer is offering & fitting non genuine accessories .. towbars , bullbars (ARB) Simmons wheels etc .

    Who is liable for a warranty claim ?

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  11. #26

    Re: GVM upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Interesting when the Nissan dealer is offering & fitting non genuine accessories .. towbars , bullbars (ARB) Simmons wheels etc .

    Who is liable for a warranty claim ?

    Chris
    If the nissan dealer fits the non-genuine items he must offer warranty unless they have you sign a waiver contract.
    Nissan would be one of the worst groups at avoiding warranty claims, at least on par with Ford and Mercedes.
    Jack.

  12. #27

    Re: GVM upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    If the nissan dealer fits the non-genuine items he must offer warranty unless they have you sign a waiver contract.
    Nissan would be one of the worst groups at avoiding warranty claims, at least on par with Ford and Mercedes.
    Well that's exactly the scenario at Penrith Nissan they fitted the new wheels & tyres - & arranged the fitting of a Norweld tray through them

    I'm thinking based on those examples - they wouldn't have a leg to stand on

    I've sent an email off to the dealer .. re GVM upgrades & warranty - asking for an unambiguous response.... I'll share the response

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  13. #28

    Re: GVM upgrades

    They fitted all mine at point of sale (new) and packaged it all into the sale price...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #29

    Re: GVM upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by Darren J View Post
    They fitted all mine at point of sale (new) and packaged it all into the sale price...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    so are you under the impression that your warranty covers these upgrades ?

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  15. #30

    GVM upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    so are you under the impression that your warranty covers these upgrades ?

    Chris
    Not at all. But I am of the opinion using a bullbar as an excuse not to fix a diff backlash issue is. Beyond p&$$ poor.

    First it was non factory leaf springs, so we changed them back to stock, just to prove unrelated. The Busan mechanic was of that opinion to begin with. Then it was front suspension as an excuse, even though it was diagnosed by them as a rear end problem. Then after that, the bullbar was at fault. Then the wheels. The dealer Actually asked them if the brake controller would be an acceptable modification????? I listened to the call. After checking with someone else, the Nissan au person confirmed that as ok... very reasonable of them.

    In the end they admitted, they would raise every non Nissan branded part on the car before they would look at the actual issue, which they agreed was in the driveline.

    This attitude came to a head when they heard I bought a Toyota and they immediately wanted nothing to do with solving the issue anymore.

    Crooks in every way. I Leased and drove their cars for ten years. That will be the last for me in my lifetime.

    PS Chris. We are not talking about warranting after market parts here.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us