Thread: Mooloolaba Inshore

Mooloolaba Inshore

G'day All

So if there weather allows it, a mate and I are heading out from Mooloolaba to fish some Reefs this weekend, from Brisbane.
    I have heard the bar there is really safe but if anyone has any local knowledge or tips, that would be appreciated.

I have my navionics app and was going to try Gneerings or Currimundi reefs and some trolling around hoping for a plegic. But does anyone have any local knowledge of the reef there or any further out past Gneerings. It's a 5.5 meter vessel so should be fine to handle a fair trip out.

Also, its the first time we are going to try and find some live bait such a Yakka or slimey or something like that, does anyone know where and how to find them? I have the live bait jigs ready but am unsure as to where to find livies.

Cheers All

C.A
    Regards
    The Complete Angler
    Fish Responsibly

Re: Mooloolaba Inshore

Can't help you yakkas mate but the bar is one of the better ones around, although you do need to be careful as the swell comes in from the right as you leave the river, across your bow, so you have to power up and swing to the right to face the swell head on. Once out there, it's a matter of finding a spot with action on the sounder. Probably best to head for Murphy's perhaps, which is easily reachable ina boat that size provided it's under 15 or better still, under 10 knots. Gneerings would also be fine with plastics or pilllies/squid. Luck of the draw but lovely part of the world.

Plenty of bottom at the inner gneerings, fishes best early or late though but that goes for most of the shallow reefs on the coast..

Best fished on anchor and a burley trail will usually see you with a feed of bottom dwellers.

Gneerings and also curras are definately worth a troll with some divers for a mackerel.

Others worth a shot are out front of Cartys, Old Woman, arkwright etc..

For bait you can usually find it around the front of cartys with a bit of sounding, the shark nets in Mooloolaba bay and down at Curras there is usually plenty..

Hope that helps, good luck

Champion Thanks for the tips mate!
    Regards
    The Complete Angler
    Fish Responsibly

Gneerings and Murphys fish best at night, trolling or floating baits is the the best thing to do this time of year for mackeral! A Few spotties and Spanish being caught at the moment! Find the bait, find the fish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyfuzz View Post
    Gneerings and Murphys fish best at night, trolling or floating baits is the the best thing to do this time of year for mackeral! A Few spotties and Spanish being caught at the moment! Find the bait, find the fish!

Thanks mate. I actually wouldn't mind fishing there at night, it's just the wind always picks up in the evening at the moment, and if the fishing is rubbish and we'd want to come in, i'd be concerned with the bar not being able to see. We have been talking about a night fish though, so might do. Cheers
    Regards
    The Complete Angler
    Fish Responsibly

Yeah I only do the dusk run in winter, anchor and berley for snapper

Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Mooloolaba bar is quite safe unless there is a big swell running. Evenings is good at the moment with big Grassy sweeties around, fresh yakkas best bait but strips of mullet next. Burley definitely ok. Early mornings there is plenty of school mackerel about, easy enough with a few pillies etc, haven't heard too much about Spaniards yet.