Thread: Removing skin fitting?

Removing skin fitting?

Hi all,

Getting ready for the bilge pump replacement this weekend, and was wondering do skin fitting typically unscrew? Or do they need to be cut out in most cases?

Cheers for the help :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Removing skin fitting?

Most of the ones I’ve seen the shaft is threaded and tightened with a nut then sika is used just for extra sealing!

Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyfuzz View Post
    Most of the ones I’ve seen the shaft is threaded and tightened with a nut then sika is used just for extra sealing!

Yeah mines the same - I was hoping to cut the sikaflex behind the flange with a sharp razor, and then try the nut on the inside (as it’s threaded). Not sure if it’ll work though.

I use a length of braid fishing line and just slice around the sika then probably need a set of Stilsons or large shifter for the nut, I would take the nut off first before breaking seal of sika to make it easier to remove

Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Will all depend on how much goop was used during the install and how much it has corroded since (assuming it's bronze or stainless). Sometimes it's just easier to break out the angle grinder and buy a new one (cut the fitting up, not the hull). One tool I have found useful for doing thru hull fitting removals is a fillting knife with the point ground off square and sharpened to a cutting edge like a chisel. Depending on the size of the hole they can sometimes be driven down the side of the fitting gently in multiple places to cut the sealant around the thread - just be careful as if hit to hard the blade can break.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Will all depend on how much goop was used during the install and how much it has corroded since (assuming it's bronze or stainless). Sometimes it's just easier to break out the angle grinder and buy a new one (cut the fitting up, not the hull). One tool I have found useful for doing thru hull fitting removals is a fillting knife with the point ground off square and sharpened to a cutting edge like a chisel. Depending on the size of the hole they can sometimes be driven down the side of the fitting gently in multiple places to cut the sealant around the thread - just be careful as if hit to hard the blade can break.
    I have to replace the skin fitting with a larger variant (as I’m going from 3/4” to 1” due to bigger bilge) so I’m not worried about trashing the old fitting.
    The annoying thing is that the outside fitting is 48mm for a 19mm hose, so there’s lots of surface area for goop/sealant to have been used :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyfuzz View Post
    I use a length of braid fishing line and just slice around the sika then probably need a set of Stilsons or large shifter for the nut, I would take the nut off first before breaking seal of sika to make it easier to remove

Clever idea! I don’t have a heap of room for the nut, but was thinking of cutting grooves in the old fitting so I can turn it on the outside

Plastic or metal skin fitting. If it's plastic, drive a timber plug into it so the drill has something to centre in and break out the holesaw

I have chosen to make one of these skin fittings for my project boat i have a lathe mine will be made so it has 3 or 4 screws thru the front plate into the transom without a nut on the back

Mine will likely be epoxied in place haha no pulling that bad boy out

If yours is siliconed in u can make a simple puller using some 40x40mm timber and a long bolt, if u put pressure on the silicone it will eventually tear under load and come out

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app