Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Little black marlin (Sydney)

Re: Little black marlin (Sydney)

Which model Penn do you have as it may have issues? Penn drags are generally very good. I usually buy the Fathom lever models (and in two speed) as they have the metal frames vs the graphite bodies of the Squalls, as well as thrust washers which helps when the drag is on high or full. If the blacks go up to 120kg as Noelm said then 4.9kg would make it very hard work and take a long time to subdue that size fish (if at all) . Not only do you have to have a decent amount of drag but also the reels need to be able to sustain that drag for a long time.

That is why game reels are usually way bigger in size and weight to get rid of and also cope with the heat generated by the drag. It is one thing to have a small reel that has a stated 10 kg drag but looses its drag capacity after 10-15 seconds in a hard run VS a game reel that can do it continuously for an hour or more.

That link I posted above to the Squall 60, that reel has about 15kg drag, it would be more than adequate for what you have in mind even if you were lucky enough to hook a larger model fish. The largest Penn Fathom I have is a 2 speed FTH30LD2 and that is a nice compact reel with about 33lb drag, after that I have the Makaira 30 II and the 50W II, but they are large heavy reels capable of handling very large fish except for the truly silly sized giants.

As with all fishing you have to decide what your chances are of hooking on to the size of fish you are after and get the appropriate gear to match. In other words don't use a 30 sized 2 speed game reel to catch Whiting and also conversely don't use a whiting /snapper reel to try to catch Marlin.

Hey Ed i just looked in the spare bedroom i have a brand new Penn Prodigy over head 15kg rod i dont think i ever even used it came new with a Penn 209 Level Wind reel i bought it about 10 years ago its the reel in question

I swapped that reel onto a ebay overhead 10-15kg class roller rod i still have but it has seen better daysAttachment 120498Attachment 120499Attachment 120500Attachment 120501

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

From what I know of this reel, Penn used the same design from the 1940's and it still only had about 4.5Kg drag, if you have had it for ten years then you should change the line and give it a service if you still intend to use it. It seems pretty corroded for a reel that hasn't been used.

If it was me I would still replace it and get a reel that is up to the task and not use something that probably wont handle the pace, it isn't a reel that I would touch to try to hook a potential large Marlin. After all the time, money and effort that you have spent getting your boat ready, then the fuel and time to go out and try to find a Marlin and you cheap out on a reel that realistically won't handle a large marlin should you even be lucky enough to hook one, use that one for your snapper fishing and get a better one for targeting Marlin otherwise in my opinion you are wasting your time.

1940's haha holly crap!!!! I just walked into i think it was bcf and just bought a cheapish overhead rod reel combo i used the reel a fair bit but the rod was never used

I think i'll keep the rod and get a decent reel, how much line of 30lb should a ideal marlin, mahi mahi, 80cm tuna reel hold?

I may look at some shimano reels

I think you misunderstood me, the reel may have been new when you bought it but it was based on a very old design, hence probably the cheap price.
    As for the amount of line you want, again it depends on what size fish you want or think that you will catch as well as the size of fish will frequent that area.

If it was me I would get about 400-500m of 30lb with a topshot of leader line. The Mahi Mahi shouldn't be an issue and a 80cm Tuna should not spool you with that amount line assuming you have a reel with a decent drag that doesn't loose its drag rating in the first 5 seconds. I prefer to have more line than I need as you don't always need that much but it is nice to have extra if you need it, additionally if the reel gets down to 50% of the reel diameter then you probably have lost over 60% of the line, not to mention you may have the lures/bait out 50m and that will also reduce your line capacity.

As Noelm mentioned before, they get up to 125kg Marlin in that area and that is not a small fish, As I said before, don't cheap out and get the cheapest setup you can buy. Get one that will do the job, look after it and you will have a good setup for a very long time.

I am not a great fan of the TLD's after having quite a few and prefer and also had 2 of the the Tyrnos (20-30) models in the Shimanos, but personally I think the Penn fathoms are much better, and I would recommend the FTH30LD2 as one that should suit you for what you want to catch. Having said that, that is only my opinion and they are heaps of reels out there that will do the job you want.
    Here is a link to a guy who caught a huge tuna on one, you may have to join to see the pic.

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/th...h30ld2.632192/

Incidentally big Tuna are are very powerful fighters. So just to sum up it is a reasonably priced compact reel that can catch big fish or smaller ones as well so a good overall reel.

The choice is yours!

Yeah i knew what u meant about 1940's that is the first time i've ever heard of a 1940's design being sold in 2010 almost sounds rediculous in our modern world i thought by buying it in 2010 it was designed around that era

I know your not fond of the Shimanos but i have found a couple LTD15 and LTD20 for next to nothing well under $100

I noticed one said smooth drag.. and its only 2 months old

Gazza, I basically soly use Penn gear, I have a few internationals, a couple of saragosas, but everything else is old vintage Penns.
    Whenever I had a set out, there is always 2-3 old 6/0 senators even a 4/0, they can be had fairly cheaply on the big sale site and are great reels
    especially the 6/0 ( tricked up) for that size fish your chasing. I've never been a fan of the TLD's either.
    So if your looking to stay "old school" you would have a reel, that would be reel fun on a blacky around 100 kg.
    Easy to work on and can be tricked up to whatever level you want. I comfortably get over 30lb drag on both my 4/0's and 6/0's, upgrade parts are available basically making them bullet proof.
    I know how funds are tight for you, so I only mention this as it's something you can gradually build up inside.
    Forget any idea of that 209 handling anything bigger than 20lb, even then you would have done well, it's a bay bouncer, with brass gear, from memory, great for table snapper and the likes. Your obviously a fair way away from heading out and having a crack on some marlin, but if your serious about doing so, a decent reel with plenty of line is in order...... I'll try and post a picture, but this is and old 50's senator that regularly managed 50 + lb NZ kingy's. obviously with a few upgrades
    Think outside the box
    Last edited by blacklab; 11-12-2019 at 04:55 PM. Reason: add photo

I found a Senator 4/0 roughly about the price of the TLD15

i really like this video

The whole simplicity of the real is very easy to service and i love that silky drag

Is there any reason you fellas are not fans of the Shimano TLD?

If you want to tackle a 100-120 kg marlin, I'd suggest a 6/0 and a bit of internal work/upgrades.
    The 4/0 in the photo, has all s/s parts up graded, double dogged upgraded drag, 1 piece tiburon frame, that kind of fish would push it to its limits.
    You can pick up a stock 6/0, 60's vintage for less than 100, put another 100 into it and, while not fully customised, would cope with it.
    Up grade it as you go. I do it for the sheer fun of it and I'm a self confessed Penn tragic.
    The one in the photo, i'm in it for about 400 in upgrades, BUT, while only 1 speed, is basically as bullet proof as a comparable modern made....
    A 120 kg marlin, is still a big animal and will sure test out any inferior gear and line.......

Col

Quote Originally Posted by EdBerg View Post
    Usually the 1/3 rule is so when you get a fish ie: such as a big Spanish mackerel that hits hard and goes for a blistering run the line will stretch a bit and absorb the shock a bit before the drag starts slipping and doing it's job. So if the drag is set at 1/3 that gives you a bit of breathing space, and helps the drag from shuddering which may cause the line to jerk and break. If you use much heavier braided line or mono then the drag will most likely release anyway, but better to be safe than loose the fish. Hence the reason lever drag over heads are better than spinning reels in that you can pre-adjust the drag and not rely of guesswork, plus overheads are much nicer to use in my opinion.

Tend to disagree on the drag setting at 1/3 reasoning,My understanding is that as the reel loses line the diameter of the spool decreases which in turn increases the drag through mechanical advantage.If at any time the drag shudders the washer either has substandard lube or the lube has been contaminated.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post

Is there any reason you fellas are not fans of the Shimano TLD?
    I would take a TLD any day,simple tough reel dead easy to service with affordable parts.....Not that you'll ever need any.

I have had a couple of TLD's in my time and I found better drags in other brands, their Tyrnos models I think are better built and had 2 of those and they were quite good. However they don't have thrust bearings in them so if you do have a locked up drag it can be hard to turn the handle on some of them as the pressure is on the side which those standard bearing are not designed to take leading to premature wear.

Yes, that is true about the drag increase with the loss of diameter but you don't want to have the line snap on a fast blistering run before the drag slips. Once you start losing line you still have to back off the drag lever because it will increase automatically with line loss, especially on braid which has minimal stretch. In either case whatever the reason you still should do the 1/3 thing.

If Gazza wants to stick with spinning reels here is a link to a deal at Dinga with free delivery if he signs up for a free membership to the Dinga club, and I believe you also can get a $20 discount for first membership order.

https://www.dinga.com.au/penn-spinfi...-ally-rod.html

Penn Spinfisher 10500 SSVI Spinning Reel-New 2018 and a Penn Ally 5'6'' 24-37kg Spinning Fishing Rod for $190

i found a brand new TLD15 for sixty bucks used once i just went to pick it up but i felt really ill from chinese takeaway and i couldnt find the guys address so i had to turn around i think he may be quiet pissed but i explained i couldn't find his house

its worth the price well and truely but is a 15 size reel fit for what i want to use it for? if it is i'll rearrange to go back over tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by EdBerg View Post
    I have had a couple of TLD's in my time and I found better drags in other brands, their Tyrnos models I think are better built and had 2 of those and they were quite good. However they don't have thrust bearings in them so if you do have a locked up drag it can be hard to turn the handle on some of them as the pressure is on the side which those standard bearing are not designed to take leading to premature wear.

Yes, that is true about the drag increase with the loss of diameter but you don't want to have the line snap on a fast blistering run before the drag slips. Once you start losing line you still have to back off the drag lever because it will increase automatically with line loss, especially on braid which has minimal stretch. In either case whatever the reason you still should do the 1/3 thing.

If Gazza wants to stick with spinning reels here is a link to a deal at Dinga with free delivery if he signs up for a free membership to the Dinga club, and I believe you also can get a $20 discount for first membership order.

https://www.dinga.com.au/penn-spinfi...-ally-rod.html

Penn Spinfisher 10500 SSVI Spinning Reel-New 2018 and a Penn Ally 5'6'' 24-37kg Spinning Fishing Rod for $190

I looked up those specs over 20kg drag on that beast!!! But i dont have that much cash yet haha i already have my resin on AP or i would have snapped that combo up

I would be more inclined to go the 25 if you decide on a TLD,or a 30 two speed is the same size.