Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Little black marlin (Sydney)

Re: Little black marlin (Sydney)

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    eventually sold my boat to finance a house.
    My next boat saw me targeting bream
    Today my biggest overhead reel is a modest Daiwa Saltiga 35N-SJ on a Pe3-4 rod …….

I couldn't see myself getting back into game fishing ……. The gear is one thing , the cost of fuel etc the other .... eventually sold my boat to finance a house.

Chris
    Did the same thing with my 22ft Scarab (In hindsight, should have kept it though), but you also forgot boat and trailer rego plus insurance plus engine services etc. etc. The list goes on and on. Anything to do with water is expensive

Here is another one that I found today which would have been more suitable.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/lith...mbo/1235584528, as I said specials always come up but usually just after you buy something else. (Murphys law)

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In my opinion, and I stress my opinion only, Game fishing chasing marlin for the weekend warrior is better spent on reputable charters that supply everything. I did a trip off cairns for 4 days that included everything from tackle, high end rod and reels, food and beverages that cost me less than a couple of combos that I would never use. Ie. 130 Tiagras etc.

Although I personally didn’t hook up in the chair, others did and was extremely exciting and the experience was one I’ll never forget and friendships made which is what it’s all about.

Ed thats like a 5 hour round trip mate that would easily set me back 60 litres in fuel money i never had

Its a bit like shopping for a car you really want that v8 commodore but financially u need to be realistic and settle for the toyota corona....

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Or you use a courier probably cost $20, sell your rod or this rod as you already have one (Keep the better one) to bring the cost down and you would have a much more suitable setup, I only just put this link up to show you that these bargains come up reasonably often.

This is one reel... give me some times its not mariage for life at first buy i am hopping to have 2 or 3 outfits will be using 2 at anyone time probably drifting as suggested one on the down rigger and one using a ballon

Ed im a bit iffy about sending money unless its thru ebay, if i get ripped on gumtree for $90 than i find another reel i buy for $90 i could just goto bcf and buy a new one.. so there are risk involved

The bundeena reel was a local pick up, cash in hand reel in the other hand..

Im broke right now but i will continue to shop for another couple of reels but have to wait for finances

Gazza, mate my advice as little as that may hold, concentrate on the boat and motor, get some nautical miles on her til your confident to run the miles to get a marlin, offer a ride, someone will jump on board with the rigs and gear to help you out. Many people with rigs and gears and no boat mate.
    Just another way to look a it.
    Cheers
    Muz

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    In my opinion, and I stress my opinion only, Game fishing chasing marlin for the weekend warrior is better spent on reputable charters that supply everything. I did a trip off cairns for 4 days that included everything from tackle, high end rod and reels, food and beverages that cost me less than a couple of combos that I would never use. Ie. 130 Tiagras etc.

Although I personally didn’t hook up in the chair, others did and was extremely exciting and the experience was one I’ll never forget and friendships made which is what it’s all about.
    The Sydney run of black marlin is in close. I have seen them between Botany Bay heads. So you don't need a big boat and you can incorporate it into your other fishing - eg bottom fishing in the morning and trolling later in the day.

True, at times they are in very close (caught from the rocks) at the start of the season, around early/mid January they tend to be inside 80 fathoms, that's where there is big bait schools, and they hang around in good numbers for a few weeks, then seem to disperse south and wider out. Lots are caught every year well inside a Klm or so, out around Port Kembla islands, the front of Bass Point and Kiama are prime spots.

You wouldn't hang your hat on the fish being in close ...... yes it happens & yes there are locations where it happens seasonally (South West Rocks . Port Stephens , Jervis Bay - but not Sydney . Most of the reliable fishing still is centred around the 100 fathom line & the EAC …… temperature breaks / current lines - BAIT
    Best to be out looking for the good water than putting out your spread as you leave the heads .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Out of curiosity Gazza - What make & model boat do you have ?

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hey Nagg i will be using the Caribbean Sea Camper 19 footer converted from cabin to centre console the one im rebuilding in the boat section

How far will i need to drift before moving back up or do u just continously drift that warm and cold current line?

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    You wouldn't hang your hat on the fish being in close ...... yes it happens & yes there are locations where it happens seasonally (South West Rocks . Port Stephens , Jervis Bay - but not Sydney . Most of the reliable fishing still is centred around the 100 fathom line & the EAC …… temperature breaks / current lines - BAIT
    Best to be out looking for the good water than putting out your spread as you leave the heads .

Chris
    Well he did specifically mention 'the run of baby black marlin' and that happens in close around late Dec/ Jan. No, they don't hang around as long as Port Stevens or SWR but it is a fairly regular thing. PS I have see striped marlin around the Peak as late as May. Also not everyone has a big enough boat to troll the 100 fathoms line but this needn't put you off trying.