Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Little black marlin (Sydney)

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Little black marlin (Sydney)

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Guys ..... yeh yeh - I could probably catch a marlin on my barra baitcast set up if I really wanted to …… but we are kidding ourselves but worst of all we are giving bullshit information to someone that wants to give it a go .

There is no way anyone should be advocating anything less than a 30 sized overhead - TLD30 with 30 lb mono (for Sydney marlin) - additionally you want to make sure that the angler has a gimble belt & kidney harness to deal with the unexpected. No one wants to be on a 100kg fish for an hour without them …….. if you don't you could very well do your back in - & yes I have seen fit / strong people without the right gear (& technique) - lying on the deck for the trip home.

Sorry guys - we need to provide the right information …. specially if we want to see the fish landed & or released in good health.

Chris
    Sorry Nagg,

I have caught plenty of marlin on TLD 25 reels and personally think they are more than capable.

Again, if you’re only interested in game fishing, then yes invest in the best. But you’re average Joe will do just fine on TLD ‘s set up correctly.
    There are not a lot of fisho’s that can’t afford a $4-5K set up that will occasionally only target Marlin.

My PB came off my 5500 Saltiga Expedition using 60lb tasline braid with 80lb leader. Too many people get caught up in the equipment and not technique for game fishing.

All in my humble opinion.

Depends how hard they are to catch if i go out 14 days an get zip i'll give up.. plan is hopefully to get by catch but im still unsure what by catch there is so far out or even if there is by catch down here i need something to fill the void in time and keep it a happy ending to the day

If i go out spend 10 hours outside and get nothing at all after a few trips i would be losing hope so to catch anything other than a shark i will be happy

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Looking up how to target the marlin and by catch, from what im seeing the by catch is mahi mahi and not a whole lot of anything else

Few videos on youtube of port kembla, wollongong and shell harbour

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    Sorry Nagg,

I have caught plenty of marlin on TLD 25 reels and personally think they are more than capable.

Again, if you’re only interested in game fishing, then yes invest in the best. But you’re average Joe will do just fine on TLD ‘s set up correctly.
    There are not a lot of fisho’s that can’t afford a $4-5K set up that will occasionally only target Marlin.

My PB came off my 5500 Saltiga Expedition using 60lb tasline braid with 80lb leader. Too many people get caught up in the equipment and not technique for game fishing.

All in my humble opinion.
    I'm not necessarily talking about the TLD25 - I know very well that it can handle a marlin …… but as you said (well set up) .
    Once again though I'm talking Sydney sized marlin (stripes & blacks) which are generally larger than the juvenile blacks that you catch in Northern NSW & Southern Qld . You cant choose what jumps onto a lure or bait ….. so you need to be prepared.

You certainly don't need to spend $1000s ….. A Shimano tyrnos & say a finnor offshore rod wouldn't set you back much more than $600 new & would be more than capable for most Marlin that you are likely to encounter . But fished to the limit even on 30lb - you'll still need a gimble belt & probably a kidney harness . You still have an outfit that would be ideal for Tuna fishing or for live baiting for kings .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Depends how hard they are to catch if i go out 14 days an get zip i'll give up.. plan is hopefully to get by catch but im still unsure what by catch there is so far out or even if there is by catch down here i need something to fill the void in time and keep it a happy ending to the day

If i go out spend 10 hours outside and get nothing at all after a few trips i would be losing hope so to catch anything other than a shark i will be happy

Marlin fishing is 90% boredom - specially when trolling off Sydney.

If I really wanted to get someone onto a small marlin - I'd go to a place like South West Rocks or Port Stephens from Dec-March & target the inshore fish that can be around in numbers …… the bycatch is generally better too

Here is a good little video on marlin fishing down our way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I think kingy's will be a early afternoon target if i havent caught anything before heading home i targetted kings a few years back and around sydney they are in plauges in Summer kind of over the whole one after another all rats.. have only ever caught 70cm kings at port kembla and one day i caught a 90cm model outside botany

The rest have been 50-63cm

Really want to target the smaller marlin, mahi mahi and tuna but will be happy with any bi catch while out there would love a small'ish mako but no other sharks

Just watched that video.. interesting they were using a tiny reel and hooked what i consider a big marlin

50nm geez.. i would never go that far

Just watched that video.. interesting they were using a tiny reel and hooked what i consider a big marlin

50nm geez.. i would never go that far

Yep - and did you notice the time period for landing them …… hence why they lost one

If you want to see the fish live - then that's another reason to go heavier

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

They lost that one to tail wrapped pretty much drowed the fish

Hey NAGG, I think that we are going around in circles, Gazza asked for our advice, we gave it and a few options for more suitable setups, he ignored them and went and picked up a TLD15 anyway, his choice which is his prerogative .

As others will know it isn't just about the drag capacity or line capacity, it is also how well the reel being used can cope with large drag being applied before it fades and the reel can't get rid of the heat and the stress. My little Abu Revo STX bait caster can supposedly put out 24lb of drag, but no one can say for how long it can keep it up before it suffers a meltdown or the drag fades to zero. Would I use it to target Marlin ... No way! as it's simply not suitable.

So I think we are all wasting our efforts as some people will not accept advice when given it and you can't change some people minds no matter how much experience you have or advice that you give them. He is welcome to use his TLD15 with the grabby drag as he stated and he may be lucky and it all will go well. Not what I would use but hey, each to their own, experience is a great teacher!

This not meant as a personal attack on Gazza, but he shouldn't ask for advice if he is only going to ignore it like he has done in this and many other posts, especially as he said, he has no experience with these sort of reels or catching large fish.

Hang on Ed i clearly explained i didnt have the money to go buy the $200 spin gear u suggested had i had the money or even been able to use afterpay i would have bought i bought what i could with what spare cash i had the other day

$200 is not a big deal i get that but i have the boat siphoning my wallet i end up with fa money each fortnight im always broke but try to make the most with what i have at the time

I can only dream of having $600 spare like its nothing i too would maybe own a stella capbile of catching a marlin but i am less fortunate

I grabbed that tld15 because it fit my budget it will get me somewhere it may not be your destination or ideally mine, i tried searching for the tld20 tld25 i understand they may be a shit reel im buying something that will get used for what it was built for not a trophy of i own this for hundreds of dollars...

There were nothing under $100 second hand in 20-25 size... 30's even more.. that were local i did put in a offer on the larger reel but was declined so i did try

All advice is takin on board and i appreciate it but i somply cant pay with peanuts i suck at saving so trying to keep money to buy something bigger will likely never eventuate, if i didnt have my epoxy resin on afterpay i would have jumped on that dinga combo

I feel u were offended i didnt buy the reel,rod combo u suggested

The tld15's was fully disasembled and reassembled it now works perfectly fine

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I'm not necessarily talking about the TLD25 - I know very well that it can handle a marlin …… but as you said (well set up) .
    Once again though I'm talking Sydney sized marlin (stripes & blacks) which are generally larger than the juvenile blacks that you catch in Northern NSW & Southern Qld . You cant choose what jumps onto a lure or bait ….. so you need to be prepared.

You certainly don't need to spend $1000s ….. A Shimano tyrnos & say a finnor offshore rod wouldn't set you back much more than $600 new & would be more than capable for most Marlin that you are likely to encounter . But fished to the limit even on 30lb - you'll still need a gimble belt & probably a kidney harness . You still have an outfit that would be ideal for Tuna fishing or for live baiting for kings .

Chris
    Agree Chris on the not spending thousands on equipment but even your example of $600 on a combo would be sufficient but I don’t know of to many fisho’s that predominantly target marlin with a single lure.

I know I always at a minimum have a spread of two if solo plus a teaser. Then skirts, gimbles and other equipment soon adds up.

I don’t target marlin as much these days as I’d rather chase something I want to eat but occasionally will for the thrill if the right conditions suit.

Hang on Ed i clearly explained i didnt have the money to go buy the $200 spin gear u suggested had i had the money or even been able to use afterpay i would have bought i bought what i could with what spare cash i had the other day

$200 is not a big deal i get that but i have the boat siphoning my wallet i end up with fa money each fortnight im always broke but try to make the most with what i have at the time
    As I said before it was not meant to be a personal attack on you, but you cannot expect to use Snapper/Kingfish gear try to target Marlin, it isn't going to work successfully, so rather spend what little cash you had on a reel that wasn't suitable, in my opinion you should have saved it and put it towards a reel that would do the job, as they do come up on a regular basis on Gumtree, as your boat is not ready to go in the water you do have time to look around, considering X'Mas is coming up and there could be a fair few people who will be given reels or upgrade, unless you wanted another snapper reel but that one is not suitable a for Marlin/Large fish IMO.

And no, I didn't get offended that you didn't take my and others advice as it's not my place to tell you how to spend your money but you asked for our advice and we gave it, what you choose to do with it is up to you. It's just that this thread is just going round and round and not going to change anything as you had already made your choice.

As you said, you make do with what you have and you never know, you may get lucky, the stars will align and you might score a small Marlin on it, I will be happy if you prove me wrong!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    Agree Chris on the not spending thousands on equipment but even your example of $600 on a combo would be sufficient but I don’t know of to many fisho’s that predominantly target marlin with a single lure.

I know I always at a minimum have a spread of two if solo plus a teaser. Then skirts, gimbles and other equipment soon adds up.

I don’t target marlin as much these days as I’d rather chase something I want to eat but occasionally will for the thrill if the right conditions suit.
    Absolutely correct ……. When I was a deckie , I had two good outfits for game fishing & a few lures .
    Once I got my own boat - the next 5 years was spent - spending 6,10,15 & a couple 24s …….. easy $10K - probably more . Then had my gear stolen & eventually sold my boat to finance a house.
    My next boat saw me targeting bream
    Today my biggest overhead reel is a modest Daiwa Saltiga 35N-SJ on a Pe3-4 rod …….

I couldn't see myself getting back into game fishing ……. The gear is one thing , the cost of fuel etc the other .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Yeh ... ditto on my behalf - just trying to realign expectations & reality based on my own experiences from my early interest in game fishing through to spending years chasing tuna & marlin.

Understand completely Gazza that finances are coming into play . ….

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO