Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Little black marlin (Sydney)

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Little black marlin (Sydney)

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    I bought my first Everol (4/0) before you were born Gazza, never had the need to replace it so although it was expensive at the time it has turned out to be quite cheap in the long run.
    Beautiful Italian quality reels Fed.
    I have a couple Everol’s and also Alutecnos Italian made reels that are incredibly robust and often overlooked for Japanese made.
    I’m always surprised when they come up for sale on fleabay that they’re cheap for a reel that is beautifully engineered and easy to service yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    Beautiful Italian quality reels Fed.
    I have a couple Everol’s and also Alutecnos Italian made reels that are incredibly robust and often overlooked for Japanese made.
    I’m always surprised when they come up for sale on fleabay that they’re cheap for a reel that is beautifully engineered and easy to service yourself.
    very interesting these reels are hand machined etc, the drag scale was interesting as well, italians do some nice work .i never realised they were making big gear. considering the bigest thing in the mediterriean is the pilchards.

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    very interesting these reels are hand machined etc, the drag scale was interesting as well, italians do some nice work .i never realised they were making big gear. considering the bigest thing in the mediterriean is the pilchards.
    Back in the day there were some awesome made reels (pre Japanese) …. most people were fishing Penn Internationals . I owned a couple of Everols - but these fell well short of the Finnor Light & … the magical Tycoon . One of my great regrets was having stolen my late 1990s game reel & rod collection of Penn Internationals , Everols , Finnor light & Tycoon & the first of the 2 speed Shimano Beastmasters …… All on custom made Erskine Tackle - Ian Miller rods ( Harbord tackle days) . Worth heaps but so much more than that

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post

I overly under estimated this reel i thought it was going to be a lot bigger than it was, i have little knowledge on overheads besides the penn level wind i have only used a mates bloody huge over head and i was the only lucky one to hook a bronze whaler about 1.2m only a baby but trying to reel the shark in on that huge reel it kept flopping to the sides as i reeled

I wanted to avoid that experience and not go so big, the TLD15 is the same size as the Penn level wind which is great its small and light holds plenty of line

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app
    Some of us did suggest that it would not be suitable for the sort of fishing you wanted to do. Big fish need big reels and drags, simple.

If you are referring to the large reel flopping over from side to side when winding then you need to use a rod gimble bucket and possibly a kidney harness which stops all of that from happening. It also takes away the pressure of having the rod butt from digging into your stomach and groin area. Makes fishing a large reel a whole lot easier and more fun too.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Offshore...EAAOSwBZ5cjKAs

The above link is to just to give you an idea, and it is not a recommendation for it as there are better and worse ones out there, but it will stop the side to side motion of the reel and fairly cheap. However it would be so much better than not having one.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Last night i had a good feel for the reel it was notchy at 3,6,9,12 o'clock i think thats.............
    The bearing that the pinion is housed in needs to be perfect.Things may have changed but Shimano never used to lubed this bearing like that (though it does look like their product) which might suggest that old mate has had a problem with it, got it freed up and used it as is or moved it on.Your main gear looks fine,can't really see the pinion teeth but if they're fine and you have smooth free spool my money would be on the need for a new bearing.

The dry bearing felt smooth and quiet, that is a lot.of grease on that other bearing tho when the other bearing has nothing

Quote Originally Posted by EdBerg View Post
    Some of us did suggest that it would not be suitable for the sort of fishing you wanted to do. Big fish need big reels and drags, simple.

If you are referring to the large reel flopping over from side to side when winding then you need to use a rod gimble bucket and possibly a kidney harness which stops all of that from happening. It also takes away the pressure of having the rod butt from digging into your stomach and groin area. Makes fishing a large reel a whole lot easier and more fun too.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Offshore...EAAOSwBZ5cjKAs

The above link is to just to give you an idea, and it is not a recommendation for it as there are better and worse ones out there, but it will stop the side to side motion of the reel and fairly cheap. However it would be so much better than not having one.
    Looks like some kinky dress up lingerie lol

I like this 15 size reel its a good size not to big but holds 500m of line more i think in braid? Think i read over 700m in braid

The drag seems like the only let down if i were to make a carbon drag would that help a lot or not much?

Its pretty much displayed all over the internet the tld15 has 10kg drag

This carbon washer adds 20% drag http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBa...=0&cspheader=1 so that will be a 12kg drag reel

Forget how much drag the specs say, you have got what drag you've got, plenty of fish we're caught long before reels were graded according to how many kilos of drag and how many thermo nuclear bearings they had, having 20kg of drag might sell a reel, but in reality fishing that much drag is just not going to happen without a chair and harness. I have a few TLD 25s that I use for beginners, simply because of their light weight, and those reels have caught plenty of 100kg + Marlin with very minimal maintenance, add to that some decent Yellowfin and Kingfish, I am not saying they are near a Tiagra, but for the price, they work fine, the 15 might be a bit small for my liking, not too sure of the line capacity, but a TLD25 is flat out fitting 250m of 15kg mono, but, that is plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Forget how much drag the specs say, you have got what drag you've got, plenty of fish we're caught long before reels were graded according to how many kilos of drag and how many thermo nuclear bearings they had, having 20kg of drag might sell a reel, but in reality fishing that much drag is just not going to happen without a chair and harness. I have a few TLD 25s that I use for beginners, simply because of their light weight, and those reels have caught plenty of 100kg + Marlin with very minimal maintenance, add to that some decent Yellowfin and Kingfish, I am not saying they are near a Tiagra, but for the price, they work fine, the 15 might be a bit small for my liking, not too sure of the line capacity, but a TLD25 is flat out fitting 250m of 15kg mono, but, that is plenty.
    A TLD 25 holds about 500m of 15 kg mono. That's about a bare minimum length for marlin fishing.

Oops, sorry typo, fat fingers on an iPad! I meant 450m

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    A TLD 25 holds about 500m of 15 kg mono. That's about a bare minimum length for marlin fishing.
    Personally I spool my TLD’s with braid and put around 100m of mono top shot which gives you peace of mind with the increased line capacity that braid gives.
    The beauty about TLD’s is price.
    In my opinion, unless you’re predominantly a Game fisho, you have to way up the cost v use. You only need to look on gumtree, fleabay and Facebook to see people selling their tiagra setups with the “only used once” comments.
    Its a big investment for the weekend warrior before you even start looking at skirted lures etc.

My son got a Marlin today out of Shellharbour, a Striped, around 90KG, first one for the year for us, just in case you're interested, it was on 24kg on a Tiagra, took over an hour, it was foul hooked in the side, easy release at the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    Personally I spool my TLD’s with braid and put around 100m of mono top shot which gives you peace of mind with the increased line capacity that braid gives.
    The beauty about TLD’s is price.
    In my opinion, unless you’re predominantly a Game fisho, you have to way up the cost v use. You only need to look on gumtree, fleabay and Facebook to see people selling their tiagra setups with the “only used once” comments.
    Its a big investment for the weekend warrior before you even start looking at skirted lures etc.
    Yep, 100% correct, I have some Internationals that are decades old now, and my son uses Tiagras only (for game fishing of course) but I have caught Marlin on old Senators, and even one on an old 499 Mitchel spin reel, but, people watch these fishing shows and see big fish caught and think it's easy, and it can be, when you pay someone to do all the work for a TV show, and edit days into 30mins.

Guys ..... yeh yeh - I could probably catch a marlin on my barra baitcast set up if I really wanted to …… but we are kidding ourselves but worst of all we are giving bullshit information to someone that wants to give it a go .

There is no way anyone should be advocating anything less than a 30 sized overhead - TLD30 with 30 lb mono (for Sydney marlin) - additionally you want to make sure that the angler has a gimble belt & kidney harness to deal with the unexpected. No one wants to be on a 100kg fish for an hour without them …….. if you don't you could very well do your back in - & yes I have seen fit / strong people without the right gear (& technique) - lying on the deck for the trip home.

Sorry guys - we need to provide the right information …. specially if we want to see the fish landed & or released in good health.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO