Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Circuit breaker mounted on bow coping salt water

Circuit breaker mounted on bow coping salt water

Hi all,

I have a Minn Kota bow mount. It's 2.5 years old and so is the OWL brand resettable breaker on the bow for the motor. I trip the breaker manually every time I am finished with the motor. The thing has copped a fair bit of spray but also solid green waves on some outings. The breaker is IP67 which isn't great for that. I sprayed it with Corossion X but I think it is still suffering. Felt sticky recently and Minn Kota can't draw higher amps....it just draws the amps for 10 seconds then cuts out (breaker doesn't trip). The Anderson plug connector down stream near the Minn Kota feels and looks fine. No obvious cirossion.

I can't find an IP68 breaker. Anyone know of one?

I can readily mount the breaker anywhere else. A swing cover that allows quick access would be good also. I might have to TIG up a box and hinge it.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Re: Circuit breaker mounted on bow coping salt water

Best kept away from the bow. CBs are best mounted near the source, I have mounted mine on the battery box which can cop the occasional spray although mainly from the tinnie being washed occassionally.

Good thinking Dignity. I mounted my circuit breaker under the casting deck near the battery box. Just a pain to get o in a hurry. Just wondering whether I should have shortened the cable to the Andersen plug above deck as the MK seems to be unresponsive ocasionally. Could this be due to voltage drop from too long a cable or flat battery? Bit of a novice when it comes to electrics.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by seastrength View Post
    Good thinking Dignity. I mounted my circuit breaker under the casting deck near the battery box. Just a pain to get o in a hurry. Just wondering whether I should have shortened the cable to the Andersen plug above deck as the MK seems to be unresponsive ocasionally. Could this be due to voltage drop from too long a cable or flat battery? Bit of a novice when it comes to electrics.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Ausfish mobile app
    If the cables from the battery to the unit are not of heavy enough gauge you will get voltage drop over some distance, are they at least as thick as the ones going to the MK unit and how long are they, my remote becomes a little unresponsive at time, it just seems to go to sleep, like me when the fish aren't chewing.

I have to have the breaker on the foredeck on mine. I will weld up an alloy box and hinge it to the deck to protect the new breaker from splash.

Cheers

Here u go Oz lone star marine make one

https://##############.com.au/a-tale...cuit-breakers/

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Hmm ok so they are blocked on this site thats strangeAttachment 120497

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    If the cables from the battery to the unit are not of heavy enough gauge you will get voltage drop over some distance, are they at least as thick as the ones going to the MK unit and how long are they, my remote becomes a little unresponsive at time, it just seems to go to sleep, like me when the fish aren't chewing.

Hi Dignity

The power cable was standard kit supplied by the MK dealer. I added an Andersen plug, CB and battery terminals to allow me to remove the motor when on the road. Just wondering if I should remove the excess coil of cable (about 2 metres long) to avoid any potential voltage drop, The remote occasional drops out and I thought this may be the cause, but as you say could be the operator. SS

Mines much the same so it shouldn't be an issue if you're only talking a couple of metres.

I have gone away from circuit breaker and back to fuses.
    Tested my last CB when new and then 6 months down the track when the lecky started to behave tired on a fresh battery. The CB was delivering about 75% of what it originally had.....it never tripped out.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Hmm ok so they are blocked on this site thats strangeAttachment 120497

Thanks Gaz. These look like the US made Wise OWL ones like I have. They say waterproof but I bet they are IP67 like the Wise ones (which also advertise as Waterproof).

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    I have gone away from circuit breaker and back to fuses.
    Tested my last CB when new and then 6 months down the track when the lecky started to behave tired on a fresh battery. The CB was delivering about 75% of what it originally had.....it never tripped out.
    Mate thanks for that. Thst is very interesting. And helpful. Cheers

Very interesting as previous 50 amp CB tripped at 38 amps, I should check the load end.

Dignity and TT...

are these decent brand CB or el cheapo...?

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    Hi all,

I have a Minn Kota bow mount. It's 2.5 years old and so is the OWL brand resettable breaker on the bow for the motor. I trip the breaker manually every time I am finished with the motor. The thing has copped a fair bit of spray but also solid green waves on some outings. The breaker is IP67 which isn't great for that. I sprayed it with Corossion X but I think it is still suffering. Felt sticky recently and Minn Kota can't draw higher amps....it just draws the amps for 10 seconds then cuts out (breaker doesn't trip). The Anderson plug connector down stream near the Minn Kota feels and looks fine. No obvious cirossion.

I can't find an IP68 breaker. Anyone know of one?

I can readily mount the breaker anywhere else. A swing cover that allows quick access would be good also. I might have to TIG up a box and hinge it.

Cheers

Remove the cable connections.
    Clean the posts, washers, nuts & lugs.
    Lightly coat all with dielectric grease.
    Reassemble & test.

IP67 is for temporary immersion, IP68 is for prolonged immersion, IP67 should be OK.
    https://www.mechprod.com/hubfs/_2017...0QC-4000-A.pdf
    Last edited by Fed; 11-12-2019 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Added link