Thread: Motorguide vs Minn kota

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Motorguide vs Minn kota

Ok I've got both. A 55lb Minn Kota riptide on my river tinny and a 105lb motorguide on my reef boat.

How I see it:

Motorguide cheaper and quieter. The deploy lever on the motorguide is much easier to use than the minn kota.

The minn kota has a better remote, the motorguide doesn't have an lcd readout so you have to guess what settings you have made.

I haven't been able to compare accuracy of the units or long term durability. Both seem of a similar build quality.

Re: Motorguide vs Minn kota

yeah I also have the MG 105lb and really wish there was something on the remote to show that the spotlock is actually on...cant always see the lights on the unit itself or hear it working and its annoying to find the mark and then realise that I haven't spotlocked properly and am drifting …….I also find that the anchor mode drops out occasionally and randomly ....i need to return it to find out whats going on...

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    yeah I also have the MG 105lb and really wish there was something on the remote to show that the spotlock is actually on...cant always see the lights on the unit itself or hear it working and its annoying to find the mark and then realise that I haven't spotlocked properly and am drifting …….I also find that the anchor mode drops out occasionally and randomly ....i need to return it to find out whats going on...
    the gps module can pack it in mine was dead from new

my electric experience
    bow mounts
    2 x riptide 55s ( multiple dead pedals in th eend i owned 3 and one was always at bla for repair)
    jarvis walker water snake 55pound the old model ( worked never broke down but rusted badly and very basic)
    minnkota terraover 55pound (it worked but didnt use it much before selling the boat had a better remote)
    motorguide x15 55 pound ( my current motor gps was dead from new took 5 months to get replaced have just received a wireless pedal for it as using the remote was a pain )

tiller steers
    two minn kota saltwater 50 pound things (indestructible still have the first one and its over 20 years old)

My has the same issue ... motorguide is a piece of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    what did motorguide say

they all play all brands all models

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post

motorguide x15 55 pound ( my current motor gps was dead from new took 5 months to get replaced have just received a wireless pedal for it as using the remote was a pain )
    I have been putting off taking it back for just this reason...I'm not going back to anchoring so at the moment its usable but annoying sometimes....

How have you found the remote "a pain", Steve...?

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    Have you had it back to a technician yet..?

A pain as I’m use to a pedal
    Trying to drive the boat cast lures and so on just use to having a lean seat and a pedal

That is most likely a supply issue. Check connections, isolator etc. Also might be a sign that batteries are stuffed.

Ford Vs Holden ..... but everyone knows that Holden is better than Ford

Minn Kota (Holden) Vs Motor Guide (Ford)

I've only owned Minn Kota - but know enough people with Motor Guides & Minn Kota's to come to the conclusion that both a problematic ( yep Ford vs Holden)
    Without a doubt Minn Kota come out on top with local service though BLA & the newer approved repairer network ….. getting a fix & spares through BLA is far better than Motor Guide ( many wait a long time for parts) .
    Minn Kota do have a better remote & foot pedal than Motor Guide & their salt resistance is better than MG .

Motor guide did lead the way with their version of spot lock however since the addition of the Minn Kota heading sensor …. it's line ball

my opinion but confirmed by a guy who sells & repairs both brands …. pay the extra & buy MK .

Chris

PS - I've had my fair share of issues with MK ….. but fixed every time
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Have you had it back to a technician yet..?
    Yep , they did the magic dongle trick to update the software ... no change , took it off the boat back to the shop for 2 weeks to replace the mother board ,still drops out. technician can't replicate the fault in the workshop recons it's the install ?? pulled all the wiring out started from scratch new wires to link the batteries without any Andersen plugs this time , new wiring direct to the MG unit by the shortest possible route only join in the whole system is one Andersen plug where the MG unit harness connects to the battery harness. refit the unit , same result. at this point i'm out of ideas what i do know is:
    #1 it shouldn't be this hard.
    #2 Motorguide is shit.

BigE

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    what did motorguide say

they all play all brands all models
    Apparently it's the customers fault !!

Yep , they did the magic dongle trick to update the software ... no change , took it off the boat back to the shop for 2 weeks to replace the mother board ,still drops out. technician can't replicate the fault in the workshop recons it's the install ?? pulled all the wiring out started from scratch new wires to link the batteries without any Andersen plugs this time , new wiring direct to the MG unit by the shortest possible route only join in the whole system is one Andersen plug where the MG unit harness connects to the battery harness. refit the unit , same result. at this point i'm out of ideas what i do know is:
    #1 it shouldn't be this hard.
    #2 Motorguide is shit.

my understanding is its easy to mess up the gps control board with charge setups
    has to be completely isolated from the outboard charging circuit and the electric disconnected from the batteries while charging

Had any luck in resolving the issues with your MG and the anchor lock BigE?