Thread: Got a bird with babies in my small boat

Got a bird with babies in my small boat

Hey guys about 2-3 weeks ago i hopped in my small boat and boy it was a mess i assumed from the trees over winter but up under the dash i found a empty nest i removed it

I jumped in the boat yesterday to clean it out and there was another nest i couldnt see so i grabbed it and pulled it out, a mother dove flew out than i realised she had 3 chicks in the nest, i had no idea what to do so i put the nest back and just checked a minute ago and the mother is back on the nest

Im keen to get the boat ready for a trip but i love animals so trying to hold off untill the birds leave the nest

I know i f... up by moving the nest! I have never been around birds actually birds gave me meningitis when i was a kid and almost killed me but i love our wild life and this mother has chosen my boat to have her babies

Will the boat be a mess after the birds leave i mean like bird shit everywhere maggots on the shit and stuff like that?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Ausfish Bronze Member Red October's Avatar

Re: Got a bird with babies in my small boat

Attachment 120489

You think you have problems. It pays to use you boat more often

Red pic not working, i hope the chicks dont start making noise as the boat is right next to my windows and i hope they dont crap all over the carpet

They will be fine gaz..leave them be...a couple of weeks and they will be gone...

I have a worse problem in that our chickens find the cabin or anchor well great nesting boxes...many a time we have gone up the front for the first drop of the day and found varying numbers of eggs in the anchor well....

I'm trying to stop the habit with the new boat as I don't want the nicely painted gunnels scratched up when they fly up into it.....

Put out a bowl of water for them Gazza.

Yeah i'll do that fed thanks, pretty sure they drink from my dogs 30L bucket

Didnt see your post earlier Disorderly

I thought the first nest was a failed or old nest felt bad i just chucked it out of the boat when i seen the bird fly out of the second nest

The mother bird was sitting on my house roof peeking over the top watching me

When i had another look yesterday afternoon the mother looks tiny like she is only a little over half the size of an adult this may be her first breeding season

Surely they will leave the nest soon geez mother is still sitting on the nest but she is now sitting at the front of the nest

I want to work on the boat buy cant do anything while they are in thereAttachment 120528

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    Put out a bowl of water for them Gazza.
    And a feed

The babies are big now check them out they are about to fly away 2 of them have been sitting on the boats edge for hours now i even walked past them by 30cm and they didnt move

I reckon they may hang around for anothrr day than take off i donno where the 3rd one is hopefully not still in the nest

Than i can get my boat going and flog it off super cheapAttachment 120532Attachment 120533