Thread: Sealing old Bilge Pump holes

Sealing old Bilge Pump holes

Hi all,

I’m about to upgrade my bilge pump as the current one is too small and it’s now not got enough pressure to pump water.

With the new bigger Bilge pump, I’m going to have to drill new holes to match.

How should I fill the old holes to make them
    Watertight? Just epoxy with tape on top to keep it smooth? Any particular brands of filler products?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Sealing old Bilge Pump holes

can you use the existing hole and make it larger
    combining hole saw blades on the one arbor is one way to do it

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    can you use the existing hole and make it larger
    combining hole saw blades on the one arbor is one way to do it
    No these are just the screw holes that holds the basket in place (just little screws). The new bilge screw pattern won’t match the old bilge’s pattern :-(

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJaybird View Post
    No these are just the screw holes that holds the basket in place (just little screws). The new bilge screw pattern won’t match the old bilge’s pattern :-(

You might be able to use one if the existing hole and then drill one and fill the other. You should be able use any filler to fill one little screw hole. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Just countersunk the original holes a little first, makes for a cleaner finish and fill with epoxy as you were you going to do. If you ad a bit of talc powder it will give it more body.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Just countersunk the original holes a little first, makes for a cleaner finish and fill with epoxy as you were you going to do. If you ad a bit of talc powder it will give it more body.
    Do the above

A week ago i filled about 7 or 8 holes in my small boats transom people drilling holes with no idea.. put some tape around the hole before u fill the hole with glue than some tape over that to hold the glue in the hole once cured just peel off the tape

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Sealing old Bilge Pump holes

Thanks gents - will do the above. Unfortunately I can’t get to the underside of the holes so that tape trick won’t work :-(

Thumbs up Re: Sealing old Bilge Pump holes

Add more talc powder until it becomes a thick paste that won't sag. If you want you can enlarge the holes to around 4.5mm, cut a short length of zippy tie, most shorter ones are 4.5mm, tie a piece of 20lb fishing line in the middle, feed it down all the way, when you pull it up again it should cover most of the opening below decks. Put a block either side of th hole with a rod across them and the off your line, now put in your thickened epoxy but only a little to make sure it doesn't all just leach through. Once that goes off cut the line and top it up.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJaybird View Post
    Thanks gents - will do the above. Unfortunately I can’t get to the underside of the holes so that tape trick won’t work :-(

you put the tape over the side u fill from some resins as they go off heat up and thin there viscosity the tape will hold the glue mix in the hole so when u peel the tape off it will look neat and tidy