Thread: 20 ld braid to throw slugs at mackeral and tuna

20 ld braid to throw slugs at mackeral and tuna

Any suggestions? Have always used mono without a lot of success and been told will get better casting distance with the braid.

I always seem to be landing short.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Re: 20 ld braid to throw slugs at mackeral and tuna

Have you not used braid before ?

Because of the diameter ( thin) & the less weight ……. you can cast further without a doubt - But it does come with it's own problems & that being the dreaded wind knot on spin gear due to the lack of memory / limpness.
    It's possible that depending on your rod & the guide train used - you might not be able to use it without getting wind knots (typical spin rod designed for mono has a large stripper guide to reduce friction …. but the latest guides for braid are much smaller)
    Then there is line management - making sure you feather the braid on touchdown to lake the looseness out of the line . close the bail arm manually to ensure you don't create a loose coil .

Then the type of braid used - some are more prone than others ….. often it's the best quality braid that suffers the most ( thinnest , smoothest , roundest & most expensive) .

Finally - you'll need to learn some new knots …. particularly the leader connection - The FG knot is a must as most of the other connection can add to your wind knot collection.

Not that I want to discourage you ….. just make you aware that it's not straight forward as you might think - & let me tell you , plenty of experienced fishoes get these wind knots .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I like power pro braid

Plus one for Power Pro. Or Fins. Using fused braids might be a bit more forgiving on wind knots. Plus they are cheaper.

I agree with previous comments about power pro and have just spooled up with some 20pd tasline but haven't been out to test it yet.

Pelagic fish feed into the wind,they will stay out of range or sound if you chase them.You need to position your boat so that they come into range.

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Tasline braid for me when it comes to casting.

Thanks for the input, I have used braid before on my bait casters and TLD's normally Bionic but am new in general to spinning reels, Have a couple of Sedona 5000's sitting in the cupboard and have Savage Salt 2 7ft 8-12 kg rods to put them on.

One of the big things I have found with braid and spin reels is reel choice. Most of my spin reels are older Stradics which are great - very rare to get wind knot issues, line lays well, casting is good. My TSS4 speedmaster however is an absolute dog of a thing with braid. Doesn't matter where I set the spool position through use of washers it puts loose loops into the lay that in turn produce the mother of all knots to the point I will only run mono on that reel (and consequently not often at that). Probably my go to braids are Fins or Berkley Whiplash Pro for spin reels.

I rarely buy reels but i generally use tiny reels i think i still have a Sedona from Shimano in like a 2500 size i have a Penn 260 slammer also small reel, i first started fishing braid probably close to 15 years ago when it made it big on the market i bought mine from ebay just the cheap stuff yellow 20lb from what i can remember it did catch fish but i endured the wind tangles i than bought some other braid from Amazon Outdoors cannot recall the brand but i found it useless i just cant tie knots in braid that hold

I think i still have a reel with braid it has its advantages like fishing out in 120 meters u can use 20lb and a much smaller sinker if u use 20lb mono u need 2-4 times the sinker to hold bottom while drifting

But my all time fav to go to is a top secret lol Javis Walker mono 6lb yes that cheap crap u see on the shelf at bcf must been the green colour line not the blue stuff $6 a roll 6 pound use a quality Shimano 10 pound fluro carbon leader matched with a 1kg rod that is what i use in my king fish videos on youtube i have lost many fish 70cm+ but landed plenty under 65cm

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

20 ld braid to throw slugs at mackeral and tuna

I use the nomad pandora x8 on my popper/stickbait rod and am happy with it, using a 8ft rod you can launch those slugs into outer space!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁