Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hook series gps/fish finders

Hook series gps/fish finders

Has anyone got an idea how much power the hook series gps/fish finders use? Looking at the units for around $150-$180 i think they are the hook 4 or possibly hook 5?

I was going to install 2x 10.1 inch android tablets

Alao can the cheap hook series be dash mounted? If so do they over heat?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Hook series gps/fish finders

Stay away from the hook series !! , pieces of shyte in my opinion . Had one n took it back for an Elite series which are heaps better !!..

Ahh bugger i likely wont have a big budget was looking at 2 of those one for gps one as a dis fish finder

The other option was previously menthoned months ago about using 2 android tablets one for navionics and the other connected to a transducer

Arnt the elite models old stock?

Might be old stock but set up correctly they do what you want them to do. I have several spots i used to just drive over and drop a pick hoping for the best , now i wont stop unless there is show n tell on the monitor so shows im happy with mine . Especially with the "Fish reveal " option..
    Navionics Map is also a must for me far as detail is concerned so think about that option also..

mine uses 1 amp i get a day out of a 7amp hour battery

Specifications:

Display: 4.3" 800 nits brightness display, 480 x 272 Pixel resolution
    Protection: IPX7 waterproof protection
    Power: 12v DC (10-17v DC min-max)
    Max Power Consumption: <6.1W
    Transmit Power: 200w rms Sonar
    Operating Frequency: 200kHz Wide Angle Sonar
    Sonar Beam Width: 40°
    Usable Depth: 80m+ Sonar

Yeah i may look second hand for the elite, they still sell elite but its a different model to what i recall seeing and they are now up around the 1k in price

Seen the simrads have come down a lot in price they were like $1200 now some are $600-$700

The original Elite was much the same as the current Hook.

The next iteration was Elite Ti which is good. The current Elite Ti2 is even better.

Hook is so basic it can even run a map card.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Gazza, by all means keep an eye on what is about but don't even consider spending money on electronics until your boat is almost ready to hit the water. By then (if it takes a couple of years as you were initially thinking) pretty much anything around today will be out of date and worse still - out of warranty. It won't matter that you haven't used it - if the warranty is up and it stops it will cost you more money. Out of the box failures happen a lot more than people think with the cheaper products (and sometimes the expensive ones too).

I never even really looked at it like that Scott i kind of need to buy when i have the spare cash available but u make good sense i may not be finished for another year or two with what i have on my hands by than the hook range will be a few years old

Hopefully electronics keep advancing as fast as they are it feels like 2 years ago u had to pay $1000 for a cheap gps unit

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Gazza, by all means keep an eye on what is about but don't even consider spending money on electronics until your boat is almost ready to hit the water. By then (if it takes a couple of years as you were initially thinking) pretty much anything around today will be out of date and worse still - out of warranty. It won't matter that you haven't used it - if the warranty is up and it stops it will cost you more money. Out of the box failures happen a lot more than people think with the cheaper products (and sometimes the expensive ones too).
    Thats good advice right there.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Deals like this are just sitting teasing me lol not ready for it yet and havent put a budget a side for electronics but ones like this keep sitting for weeks and weeks...Attachment 120484

Look at these and im broke haha always the way Attachment 120485Attachment 120486Attachment 120487

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Deals like this are just sitting teasing me lol not ready for it yet and havent put a budget a side for electronics but ones like this keep sitting for weeks and weeks...Attachment 120484

Gazza, this gps unit is well and truly obsolete, Much newer models out there.

Thanks Dig i didnt know how old it was just thought it looked decent size screen