Thread: 15hp Yamaha wont run

15hp Yamaha wont run

I'm looking at a 2007 15hp 2 stroke yamaha motor that has a fault in that it does not run.
    The motor starts easily with the choke out, but as soon as the choke is disengaged, the motor will stall.
    I have checked for possible air leaks in the fuel line but can find none.
    Is there any other possibilities I should be looking at?
    Carby clean etc? Could the issue be an expensive one or simply a relatively cheap fix?

Re: 15hp Yamaha wont run

I’m no mechanic but it sounds like it’s getting excess air, I had a mariner 15 do it to me once and it was the gasket beneath the carb, while it’s running with the choke on try spraying wd40 around the base of the carby while you disengage the choke, this will temporarily seal any leaking gaskets, somebody else with more knowledge might be able to confirm

could be as simple as a blocked jet, or maybe the ignition timing plate is not synchronised with the carbie?

I see a carb rebuild in your future, don't spray it with stuff, or wash it clean, it needs to be dismantled and properly cleaned.

Be blocked jet for sure I rekon. Fair chance it might be only running on one cylinder to. Hardly notice at idle.
    What’s it do in gear with choke out?

I’d be taking carbie off and cleaning them. Super easy job

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

I bought this suzuki some years ago it would only run with the choke on and it would stop pumping water after a few minutes and overheat turns out it had a corroded exhaust wall on the side of the block under the exhaust cover, see if the seller will allow u to remove the spark plugs to see if they have any rust

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Possibly just a carby clean, did one recently which we had to replace the carby... was full of water

new carby fixed the issue... just dont buy a genuine one as there $600

PM me if you need a new carby
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech