Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motor Height

Motor Height

Very quick question for the experts/experienced

I’m holding a straightedge along the keel of my boat and through to the motor.

If this was your boat motor would you lower the motor.

Finding it hard to get up on plane and trimming is very touch at best.

I ask now as boat being serviced at the moment and mechanic who I think I trust says maybe should come down one hole.

Your thoughts please

IMG_2946.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Motor Height

Mate I'm far from an expert and I know that people say line it up with the keel height but I'm convinced that trial and error is the best way...

Just get the boat up on the plane and trim it properly with a regular load on and then have someone steer the boat for you and take a good look over the transom and see if you can see your cav plate on the motor...should be more or less close to the surface …if not go up or down and try again.....

If its close to the surface and you are still having noticeable problems ..then it could be the prop or motor issues or even something like water in the hull or too much weight in the ass.. ...

i would drop it a hole, then try it. maybe even a second hole, just make sure you don't lose sight of the cav plate. I had the same trimming issue, and dropping it 1 hole gave the prop much more grip. you can always go up again!

I donno Shakey a outboard is generally not slapped on a boat at the height of yours so it makes me think the last owner might have already tested it one hole lower and bumped it up to where it is

But who knows, last owners needs could have been different to yours from what knowledge i have gained is to raise a engine is for better performance and better top speed where as u may wish for a better take off and less hang on to your hat kind of thing

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Every boat is different and propeller choice will play a big part. It looks in a similar position to mine but it's a different boat. What prop are you running? Some are known for not liking a high engine mounting position.

Touch is touchy or tough?

What happens when you accelerate?

115HP 2 stroke on a 5.0M Vsea should go just fine.

It might have a Viper prop on it and as scottar said some props like to be in deep. The Viper from memory is one of those.
    On the other hand Rakers like to come up to the surface, or at least my two do.
    What could go wrong.......................

Engine height is a bit of a mixed bag, ideally you want it as high as you can, if it doesn't break out on turns or when accelerating it's fine, what is your max RPM?

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    Very quick question for the experts/experienced

I’m holding a straightedge along the keel of my boat and through to the motor.

If this was your boat motor would you lower the motor.

I ask now as boat being serviced at the moment and mechanic who I think I trust says maybe should come down one hole.

Your thoughts please

IMG_2946.JPG

Listen to your mechanic.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Ausfish mobile app
    When my wife calls, tell her I'm in "Ah Me Ting"

Ah Me Ting = 2019 Quintrex 420 Renegade (Tohatsu 50hp 2 Stroke)

Does it "cavitate on take off or turns? if the answer is no, then why lower it?

Couple more questions - What foil are you running and what hole is your trim pin located in - is it the lowest one? That horsepower for that size boat and with a foil, something is drastically wrong if it's struggling to get on the plane or it's simply not tucking under far enough ( I make the assumption you trim right down to take off) . Chimo is right in that Viper propellers aren't renowned for liking to run high but it's only to do with certain aspects of their operation in my experience. Running my Viper two holes higher than originally factory fitted I achieved a 5kmph gain in a straight line on flat water but it broke out in turns and mid range economy was poor to say the least.

Your mechanic may be right but experimenting is the only way to know. That said, most boat dealerships are notorious for setting engine heights at conservative levels so as to avoid cranky customers rather than experimenting to get the utmost best in performance be that speed or economy.

Im not a hundred percent on this but to me it doesnt look as though your motor tilts down enough. Im under the impression that the centre line of your leg should run parallel with your transom. Its too dark outside for me to check this on my boat tho. Like I said, Im not 100% sure with this, maybe someone else can clarify.
    JC

Motor Height

Noel - No cavitation

Scottar - it’s the SE Sports 400
    IMG_5667.jpg

Scottar - as for being trimmed right in at take off, I’m not really sure if I do. I’ll check the trim pin location when I get boat back next week.

If there's no cavitation, then it is not too high.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    If there's no cavitation, then it is not too high.
    Might be no cavitation due to Shakey running the Se hydrofoil just a thought