Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First boat MOTOR advice :):)

Re: First boat MOTOR advice :):)

what a beast! Way beyond our price range ..we have zero personal debt right now (on our fairly modest single income) and it’s staying that way!
    We will definitely trade up in future if we enjoy this first one and there’s some more $$$ to throw around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i doubt youll get a service history on a 3k boat
    on facebook theres a 430 estuary angler for 7k thats only 11 years old and would give years of service

I wasn’t looking for a full service history. Just confirming that the person servicing the motor actually did so.
    Again, I’m aware there are more expensive and better boats around at a much higher price. We haven’t got 7 grand but thanks for letting me know and we’ll hang out for the opportunistic deal. Something will come up soon enough

Yeah something will come up just means it will get sold a lot quicker this time of year, usually u need to check gumtree every couple of hours or u miss out

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

That’s it exactly! We’ve got a job and a toddler too so we have to accept we might miss the odd one due to being busy. Not to worry, we’re glued to marketplace and gumtree and something will appear soon enough
    My problem is I keep looking at more expensive boats now!

There seems to be a step in the market for around $2500-$3000 you'll likely get a 1970's era tinny

If u have $5000 you'll get something in the early 2000 era

A half decent 4M boat is going to be doable for 3-4k as long as your not busting a nut to get on the water.My young bloke picked up a Quintrex 395 tiller with a 3cyl 30 yamy and a minn kota for just under 4k recently.Make sure if you find something you have the motor checked over,you'd be surprised how many water pumps can't be serviced from a seized on leg,make sure the person has a set of flushing muffs even if they don't come with the boat.Also check the hull for cracks where there are welds (totally repairable) and try and lift any flooring to look for any corrosion caused by sinkers,hooks or swivels (not so repairable).Something to consider,if you are at any stage wanting to cast lures a windscreen is going to be a pain even for one person in a boat this size and will rule out two casting.Steering cables can also be a pain once they start to play up.Happy hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    There seems to be a step in the market for around $2500-$3000 you'll likely get a 1970's era tinny

If u have $5000 you'll get something in the early 2000 era

yeah I noticed that too not saying anything