Thread: Help Identify Liquid

Help Identify Liquid

Hi all. I haven’t used my boat for about 8 months due to overseas holiday, hospitalisation and a couple of other things.

All good now and health ok.

I raised my 2000 model Johnson 115 hp (2 stroke) and had this green coloured liquid drip out. Took cover off and found small amount of same liquid in inside. At a guess maybe 50 or 60 ml of the stuff.

As I’m not really a mechanic does anyone have any idea what this is.

The liquid is only on the starboard side, the boat is slightly leaning that way due to lay of the land.

IMG_5651.jpg

IMG_5652.jpg

IMG_5655.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Help Identify Liquid

Looks like 2 stroke oil to me . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Help Identify Liquid

Thanks Matt. So where would this come from. Is it just excess fuel/oil left over from last time I ran the motor on the ears at home, or somewhere else that I should be checking for leaks

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Could be dripping out of your air box when engine is tilted up maybe the oil injection is stuck open

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Engine is tilted right up Gazza.

Anything I need to check, clean or worry about at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    Engine is tilted right up Gazza.

Anything I need to check, clean or worry about at the moment?

Is the 2 stroke injection still hooked up or do you premix , I’d be checking it out before I go out if it’s injected oil . No oil or low oil will lead to catastrophic failure, I had one fail years ago and the motor was destroyed as unrepairable
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Yeah BF is right a oil leak will leak oil and it will also suck air in thru that leak too and u defiantly don't want air in your oil injection lines

clean all the oil off and see where it drips from again and try to source the leak u should be able to see the leak or wipe down parts of the engine with a white cloth or tissue to see where to leak is or narrow it down, it can only be leaking from the oil injection so i would be looking at the delivery hoses and oil pump or anywhere above where the oil is dripping

if its coming out of the air box/air filter it could be dripping from up inside the cylinder from a leaky or faulty pump some oil injection pumps when they fail they automatically oil at 100 percent as a fail safe way

It can be as simple as a blocked breather on the oil injection bottle - causes the oil to be forced into the motor as heat causes expansion during the day. Standard procedure after long periods of lay up is to run the engine on 50:1 premix until you can confirm the oil injection is functioning properly - indicated by a drop in the level in the oil tank. It'll blow smoke a plenty but it's better than the other option. VRO units also apparently had an issue with the check valves leaking that would lead to oil basically filling a carby. I experienced this first hand with an engine that would run on one cylinder for several minutes until the oil was sufficently diluted with petrol. Fault disappeared all together once I went back to premix.

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    Is the 2 stroke injection still hooked up or do you premix , I’d be checking it out before I go out if it’s injected oil . No oil or low oil will lead to catastrophic failure, I had one fail years ago and the motor was destroyed as unrepairable
    Matt it is still connected and I’ve never had a problem with it. There is plenty of oil in the reservoir

Hello Shakey,
    looks like two stroke oil to me, do a scratch and sniff test to compare with what's in the oil tank.
    Some motors inject the oil before the carbie some after the carbie.
    In the Johnson is the oil injected before the carbie?
    If so maybe the petrol has evaporated over time and the oil runs out when tilted.
    Do Johnson carbies drip petrol/oil when tilted?
    Have look in the air box to see what's inside.
    A lot of older pre-mix motors made a real mess when tilted up.
    If you have any doubts run pre-mix 50:01 from a spare tank and monitor the oil level in the oil tank to see if it goes down. Draw a line on some masking tape for a starting point.
    It will be smokey but it won't do any harm.

My 90 “same engine” did it
    Was a split fitting leading from the hose from the oil reservoir into the carbs

Huett marine sourced me a new part

Not saying it’s the same issue but a maybe

Mine never leaked anything out the airbox and I use to flush it and run the trim up and down every second weekend

There's a nipple on the back of the air box on the Port side connected to a hose that goes back into the intake to recover any 2 stroke mix that leaks from the carbs when they're tilted up.
    Google up some pics of the back of the air box and you will see it, check around that area and the hose etc.

As the old girl is due for a complete service, I rang the doctor today and booked her in for Thursday. I spoke to him about the oil and he didn’t seem perturb about it as it didn’t happen while under power and said that while heat and pressure can cause it, he will work it out when he sees it.

Thanks for the comments and tips. I have learn a little more once again.

I’ll report back when I get it back from the doctor.

Shakey let us know the cause interested to hear where its leaking from as they are basic engines

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Shakey let us know the cause interested to hear where its leaking from as they are basic engines

Will do.