Thread: House battery location...

House battery location...

So thanks to Scott and others on here, I was able to fitout and wire my boat, switchboard and fusebox with some advice and confidence gained from the forum......

So thanks for that folks..it was an enjoyable and satisfying learning experience …

I haven't yet installed a house battery as I was in a quandary as to where to put it....very little room left in the battery compartment at the back and besides with a big fat-arsed Honda on the back would prefer not to from a weight perspective...

I'd like to place it in the little compartment beside the drivers seat which is 2.5m from the battery switch and start battery....

Is this too far to house it from a voltage drop standpoint...

If not, what size cable should I use …?..and is there any other points to consider...?

Re: House battery location...

My house battery is approx 6m away from my engines. Just upgrade the wire gauge to compensate for the volatge drop. Everything will run back to a central bus bar/circuit breaker anyway. I cant see 2.5m distance being an issue at all, think about 4wd winches that have huge load and the distances of wire runs, apart from your boat winch most electronics wont have anywhere near that kind of amp draw.

vsr and 6mm tinned twin core will sort you out
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Thanks guys....all done now..

Garry thats what was done....after my Service tech told me he would do the lot for $340 cash including battery, cables, VSR and labour I didn't bother doing it myself.. just had him do it while he did my first service...I just had to secure the battery..

Its a relief knowing there is a spare battery there now ...