Thread: Opinions Wanted - Paint or Viynl Wrap

Opinions Wanted - Paint or Viynl Wrap

Hi all

I am in the middle of boat renos and attention now turns to the hull. It needs some work after years of crab pots banging against the side, sinkers and the odd shark putting dents in it.

The paint is solid - it is not peeling but it is marked, scratched and dented, and I want a new shint look to match teh topsides that have been done.

Question is Viynl Wrap or Paint? I have had a few quotes on Viynl wraps and due to dings/scratches etc there is some prep to before the wrap is put on which pushes the costs up to about $2000. its a 5.5 meter boat with a max height between topside and waterline of 700mm so just fits into a single wrap I am told.

My reservation about Viynl Wrap is longevity - exactly how long do the last? I have been told between 3 and 7 years if looked after which to me seems okay - noy great but okay. My boat is stored outisde but covered so does get more sun than normal I guess that may also decrease the life.

Painting is about 20-30% more than a wrap but to me might last a bit longer and be more durable.

Time wise I intend to keep the boat for at least the next 5-7 years if not longer.

So what is everyone's thoughts on Vinyl Wrap vs Paint?

Re: Opinions Wanted - Paint or Viynl Wrap

just my two bob seeing as no one has replied to u yet, i have never owned a boat with a wrap, installed one or even felt one but here's what i think, Yeah they look cool it adds a bit of appeal to the boat because its modern and u can custom design your own look but jeez are they expensive or what i think i can recall being quoted like 3k or 4k to do my big boat that is extremely expensive for something that will be outdated in 10 years time..

a good paint job will stand well and beyond any sticker kit even if its just a basic 2 tone with pin stripes down the join of colours the paint job can be cut and polished after many years giving it a even longer life

a paint job over a sticker can last a very long time but with the sticker your limited on its life it may be 3 years i may be 5, the paint job u can bring back to life but a peeling, cracking or faded sticker u cannot

something to think about too harder for a criminal to hide your boat or try to change its appearance if it were painted... if it were a sticker zipppppppppppp new life...

I went down the same pathway & decided to stay with paint .

As you rightly pointed out - you need a good base to lay vinyl as it shows up any imperfections .
    As for longevity …. 4-5 years is realistic for a boat & that depends on the quality of the vinyl (3M / VVIVID) & how good the prep & installation was . Remember this was never designed as anything more than a short term way of changing the colour of a car which eventually would go back to it's original colour ( Taxi's I believe) .

But as a thought - there is nothing stopping you from getting a respray & using the vinyl as protection - you can do it in the same colour as the boat or get something off the shelf . If you just do the sides of the boat …. you and a couple of mates could do it yourself . Then when it comes to selling the boat - you can remove it . It may have only cost you a few hundred extra.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I think I am going to go paint instead of Viynl after hearing your and Gazza's comments - just not sure if Vinyl has teh right bang for buck as yet

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I went down the same pathway & decided to stay with paint .

As you rightly pointed out - you need a good base to lay vinyl as it shows up any imperfections .
    As for longevity …. 4-5 years is realistic for a boat & that depends on the quality of the vinyl (3M / VVIVID) & how good the prep & installation was . Remember this was never designed as anything more than a short term way of changing the colour of a car which eventually would go back to it's original colour ( Taxi's I believe) .

But as a thought - there is nothing stopping you from getting a respray & using the vinyl as protection - you can do it in the same colour as the boat or get something off the shelf . If you just do the sides of the boat …. you and a couple of mates could do it yourself . Then when it comes to selling the boat - you can remove it . It may have only cost you a few hundred extra.

Chris

If I was buying a new boat - I'd probably wrap over paint ( but just the sides) for added protection ..... particularly from stone chips

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

How handy are you? Give it a crack yourself, heaps cheaper, I did it and it turned out pretty good.

I'm considering the exact same thing at the moment, by the early part of next my rebuild will be to the stage of paint or wrap. I'm leaning to paint the same as you, I use my boat to go down to a family beach hut where boats are anchored up alongside eachother overnight so scratches etc will happen and while these will still happen with paint I think vinyl might be more susceptible, I know I could use fenders.

- The other things I'm considering is that I need to paint parts of it anyway, why not get the whole lot done.
    - The boat has taken 2.5 years to rebuild, I don't want to be redoing the wrap in 3-5 years
    - I have the money to do the repaint now, will i have the money to rewrap or paint in 3-5 years.......never know what the future brings

On the other side of the ledger
    - wraps do look good
    - it is cheaper, maybe I could use those $$ elsewhere on the boat
    - I could do it myself and save more $$......not sure I need another job on this bloody boat though!

For the cost of these vinyl wraps $2000+ installed u can go out and spend $1500 on a air compressor and all the equipment and $500 on paint paint it your self, either keep the equipment or get most of your money back by selling it

I took to painting like a duck on water so long as your light on the paint and have the gun properly set up u cant go wrong just dont put to much paint on in one go to avoid runs

Paint it in some quality 2k paint high gloss she'll look mint as

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

My lungs are more important then spraying 2 pak in the back yard which your not suppose to be doing

If your planing to sell it at about the point a wrap will be degraded then paint it
    Polish it and will look like new for resale

One off's are ok Steve its not like your spraying 10 boats in a week just cover the floor and walls where it will be sprayed

2k is a carcinogen and will give u cancer but there are thousands done every year in back yards

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    One off's are ok Steve its not like your spraying 10 boats in a week just cover the floor and walls where it will be sprayed

2k is a carcinogen and will give u cancer but there are thousands done every year in back yards

Sorry Gazza but having a close relative suffer from passive effects of similar issues I would be using everything possible to prevent it. It was a heartbreaking 7 months before she passed away, I hope you don't have to ever experience it.

You can buy water based 2k paint https://boatcraft.com.au/Shop/index....dex&cPath=5_38 its not cheap i still have some out in the shed i painted my transom with this stuff doesnt give a gloss finish tho